What's new

AOS Sandalwood

I went to the local Art of Shaving store on Sunday with my 4 year old son. He picked out some AOS Lavender (Hey! I was going to get that!:frown:), for "when he get's bigger". I picked out the Sandalwood.

Had a shave with it this a.m.--another fine performing shave soap. Easy lather, not too thick (as if there were such a thing?), not too thin. Nice sharp, woody, sandalwood aroma. Another tallow soap keeper for the Seraphim shave den!

Agreed. I know AOS is oft panned on this board, for some reasons which are well deserved. Their prices are exhorbitant and are take advantage of first time DE or straight shavers IMO (At least as I've seen in regard to their razors, which are ridiculously overpriced). However, their shave cream is a great lather and I'm a fan of some of the other products as well. Not to mention the location that I went to put me in the chair for a pretty darn good straight shave. YMMV, but the fellow who shaved me also taught at a barber college and owned his own shop, can beat the experience, I just wish he had other products to choose from as well!

Nonetheless, AOL sandalwood is quality product and does provide for a good shave.

AOS Sandalwood is what I compare all other soaps or creams to, it is my base line. I love the aroma!

Did you smell the Sandalwood EDT? :tongue_sm

Last edited:
AOS Sandalwood is what I compare all other soaps or creams to, it i my base line. I love the aroma!

Did you smell the Sandalwood EDT? :tongue_sm

No, but I followed up this morning's shave with some SCS Sandalwood. Now that is some fine sandalwood scent!

IMHO if one walks into the AOS stores and just stick with the AOS soaps and creams, it is a win win situation.

Gotta love the AOS shaving soaps. The lavender and sandalwood are phenomenal. The unscented is really nice, but it is unscented. The lemon, in my opinion, is just weird :tongue_sm

My wife gave me an AOS shaving kit of sandalwood. We both love the sent. I plan to swing by AOS and try the sandalwood soap. I don't think I will be disappointed!

Dave

AoS is probably my favorite SS of all -- I have unscented in use right now, with a puck each of sandalwood and lavender as backups. I'm also a fan of the SC (I have some small tubes that I use when I travel), but I have not yet tried the ASB.

I agree that the hardware is ridiculously overpriced (it is as if they are trying to appeal to that particular corner of the yuppie market which adheres to the pricinple that more expensive = better), but, IMHO, the SS and SC are hard to beat at any price.

I'm a fan of their soaps too. I love the sandalwood! I have a puck of the lemon too--it lathers great but the scent is very faint. Still, that doesn't diminish my affection for it.

I have the AoS lavender, and like it very much. I keep hoping to find it on sale so that I can give their sandalwood a try.

He picked out some AOS Lavender (Hey! I was going to get that!:frown:), for "when he get's bigger".

Your son may have just hit on something. At the same time you're socking away cash in his college fund, help build up his shaving stash now, before all the good things are either discontinued or reformulated. By the time he's old enough to shave, he'll thank you for it.

Your son may have just hit on something. At the same time you're socking away cash in his college fund, help build up his shaving stash now, before all the good things are either discontinued or reformulated. By the time he's old enough to shave, he'll thank you for it.

Isn't that what we are all doing anyway? :lol:

Honestly, that is why I did spend $26 on a puck of shaving soap for a 4 year old. So that someday, he will get to experience a nice shave soap. He would have been just as thrilled by a 0.99 puck of Willaims, but I wanted to get him something that would kick some a** when he got around to using it.

But that means that for each soap, I have to buy one for me to use now, one (or more) to stash away for future use by me, and one for my son.:eek:

Thelonius1, I had a shave at an AOS in OH about a year and half ago. The barber was a teacher and also owned his own shop.

I'm waiting for my soaps and creams to thin out a little before getting anymore but I do want to try that sw soap as I liked the cream. I think the as balm is good in winter, a bit to heavy for summer. I liked the oil too and keep the small travel pump in unscented I use once in a while. The unscented oil gives off the natural ingredients and there is one in particular that smells good but I can't remember what it is.

IMHO if one walks into the AOS stores and just stick with the AOS soaps and creams, it is a win win situation.

AoS is probably my favorite SS of all -- I have unscented in use right now, with a puck each of sandalwood and lavender as backups. I'm also a fan of the SC (I have some small tubes that I use when I travel), but I have not yet tried the ASB.

I agree that the hardware is ridiculously overpriced (it is as if they are trying to appeal to that particular corner of the yuppie market which adheres to the pricinple that more expensive = better), but, IMHO, the SS and SC are hard to beat at any price.

Exactly right, and because the soaps, creams, and ASBs are so good, it's a distinction worth emphasizing.

AOS hardware = massively, embarrassingly overpriced; avoid as a general principle. (YMMV, and folks have reported scoring awesome sales that probably make it cost-justified, but I'd view those as the exceptions that prove the rule).

AOS "software" (soaps, creams, ASB) = top of the line; expensive, but worth it.

Of all my soaps, AOS is probably closest to needing to be replaced. Darn. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom