What's new

AOS Pre Shave Oil

I only have the AoS lavender PSO and soap. I love them both. I found that the soap was significantly more difficult to lather after the first two uses. Maybe something to do with the factory settling of it? Either way, absolutely great products.

Last Christmas... when this whole thing started for me, my wife got me some AoS products to help me get into the game. I got into wet shaving because of my grandfather and great grandfather's old 1924 SE, and a friend's recommendation to use it. My wife got me a badger brush, alum block, and some samples.

I found the brush to be excellent... although my first, and the alum was amazing... although also my first, however, I found that the pre shave oil was just extra gunk on the blade and the scent didn't last after all products in the process were applied and used. It was just too thick for my liking.

I have also used a boar brush at this point and still prefer the AoS badger, and the alum is over a year old and will probably last several more by the look of it... fantastic, but still a very rookie opinion.

i was at a mall near my house and they have a brick and mortar store there. i gave the ocean kelp cream a test lather, which it practically exploded with lather in my hand. impressive, ill have to stop by and drop some coin to get that cream. i did try a sample of the preshave oil, but found it made no difference for me at least.

i was at a mall near my house and they have a brick and mortar store there. i gave the ocean kelp cream a test lather, which it practically exploded with lather in my hand. impressive, ill have to stop by and drop some coin to get that cream. i did try a sample of the preshave oil, but found it made no difference for me at least.

PSO tends to be one of those things where there is no middle ground. There is also a lot of misunderstanding as to its function. Here is the best write up I've seen on what it does: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/How_Pre-shave_Oil_Works. Based on that explanation it would appear it is a good product if your skin cuts easily and a worthless product if your skin is tougher. When I forget to use it I inevitably get a few weepers.

I am also a fan of the AOS Lavender PSO and the AOS Lavender Shave Cream.

The pre-shave seems to be the closest thing they have to a practical consumable. I paid the AoS price to get started on DE. There were reasons I needed the tangibility of brick-and-mortar. As a result of that purchase, I did try and like lavender. The cream went quickly. The AS balm, to me, does not perform as well as many less expensive ones. The pre-shave, even in such a small bottle. lasts a long time if you use only 3 drops per shave.
I ceased needing pre-shave when I switched to soaps, since they have plenty of their own extra slickness.

I read that they're recipe is 2 parts castor oil 1 part extra virgin olive oil. I make this in my own and add in some Avocado oil. I personally really enjoy pre-shave oil. You don't need alot. A little goes a long way. Your skin must be fairly dry so the oil can be absorbed into the skin. I leave it sit while I prepare my razor and lather my brush then I put the shave soap on top of the oil. This works great for me

Top Bottom