What's new

AoS Ocean Kelp: Aquaman Goes to a Turkish Barber

A few days ago I received a delivery from eBay of a package of NOS Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp. I have tried the balm in the past, but never the complete shave setup, but I was intrigued by the fragrance so I wanted to try the whole kit.

The shave cream is your standard AoS tub and the color is slightly off-white. While the fragrance is evocative of seaweed, it's more of a masculine cologne type scent, reminiscent of Turkish lemon or citrus cologne, similar to Arko or Derby, and conservative in character: I detect no calone, nor do I see it as an ingredient, and it really isn't all that aquatic in that way- there are no artificial fragrances in this product. In fact most of the fragrance is built from citrus and rosemary essential oils, with only some laminaria seaweed extract as an ingredient, probably more for the skin benefits than the fragrance.

The lathering of the shave cream is the typical AOS type, similar to any other English shave cream. It's thick and somewhat protective, and reasonably slick. My Bic is probably getting dull because I didn't get an especially close shave, and I did encounter a bit of irritation in my two pass shave, but it was close enough. Rinsing off was typical for vegetable soap bases, the amount of soap scum left behind on my face didn't feel overly chalky or squeaky, but it also isn't the cleanest rinsing product I've ever used.

Overall this is a fun, whimsical shave cream and it's unfortunate this stuff is harder to find, perhaps it has even been discontinued (?).

Last edited:
My understanding is Ocean Kelp has been discontinued. I have a bit remaining which I'll try to hold on to until next Summer (I find it a warm weather scent). I'm now into the sandalwoods and leather scents for Winter.

My understanding is Ocean Kelp has been discontinued. I have a bit remaining which I'll try to hold on to until next Summer (I find it a warm weather scent). I'm now into the sandalwoods and leather scents for Winter.

That's too bad. This is one scent that really lifts my mood, probably because it has real citrus peel oils.

I tried a kelp fragrance oil to match it, but it's not quite the same. It's more like a room type of scent that you'ld put in one of those diffusers, and has more fir instead of orange/citrus in the topnotes, with some calone and florals, even if the scent profile is reminiscent of AoS's Ocean Kelp. It's got a bit of an "itchy nose" quality that some chemically fragrances have for me, too.

Here in Florida we don't really have 4 seasons, only two... a hot, humid season and a moderate dry season. People don't even vary their wardrobes that much. At most, when it gets really hot, I moderate my fragrance usage, but I've worn sandalwood in all sorts of temperatures.

Last edited:
That's too bad. This is one scent that really lifts my mood, probably because it has real citrus peel oils.

I tried a kelp fragrance oil to match it, but it's not quite the same. It's more like a room type of scent that you'ld put in one of those diffusers, and has more fir instead of orange/citrus in the topnotes, with some calone and florals, even if the scent profile is reminiscent of AoS's Ocean Kelp. It's got a bit of an "itchy nose" quality that some chemically fragrances have for me, too.

Here in Florida we don't really have 4 seasons, only two... a hot, humid season and a moderate dry season. People don't even vary their wardrobes that much. At most, when it gets really hot, I moderate my fragrance usage, but I've worn sandalwood in all sorts of temperatures.
we've already had our first snow on Halloween and temps were in the teens this morning.

AOS Ocean Kelp shave cream is still available at a few off-main spots, ebay etc.
It's a great, classic AOS shave cream, with good lather, slickness, scent and after-shave feel.

art of shaving ocean kelp kent filarmonica august 2 2019.jpg

I'm impressed they could pull off the fragrance with essential oils alone. Some of their other shave creams, like their sandalwood, don't even do that.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'm impressed they could pull off the fragrance with essential oils alone. Some of their other shave creams, like their sandalwood, don't even do that.

They couldn’t sell it using sandalwood essential oils only. Several years ago, SRD sold a soap scented with only the real sandalwood oil. It was a melt-and-pour base and was priced at $150 IIRC. You could of course, get the unscented cream and add your own sandalwood oil to taste.

They couldn’t sell it using sandalwood essential oils only. Several years ago, SRD sold a soap scented with only the real sandalwood oil. It was a melt-and-pour base and was priced at $150 IIRC. You could of course, get the unscented cream and add your own sandalwood oil to taste.

Sandalwood oil is not necessarily expensive, it just depends on the type. I have a small bottle of pure Australian sandalwood oil and it only cost six dollars. The scent is nice, but it doesn't have the silage of a cologne fragrance. It was a soft, gentle, warm fragrance that lasts for hours, but it also isn't particularly assertive or have much silage.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Sandalwood oil is not necessarily expensive, it just depends on the type. I have a small bottle of pure Australian sandalwood oil and it only cost six dollars. The scent is nice, but it doesn't have the silage of a cologne fragrance. It was a soft, gentle, warm fragrance that lasts for hours, but it also isn't particularly assertive or have much silage.

That’s my understanding too.

FWIW, the fragrance oil Sea Spice (used by some artisans) has a similar character. Top notes are citrus and ozone, base is wood and clove. It's sort of an aquatic bay rum type scent. It reminds me of a simpler take on Old Spice Signature from a few years ago, though that had cardamom instead of clove. Longevity is better than most bay rums.

AOS's scent is slightly better though because the marine accord is produced by natural kelp and it gives it a mossy rather than woody character. The ozone in Sea Spice is of the more aggressive variety and floral or pungent sea salt in character, and tickles my nose a little. It's easy to overdo this scent and it has alot of silage. Probably not the best for sensitive skin, either, whereas I found Ocean Kelp to be skin calming, the cream and balm are good "skin food".

Last edited:
I just got done shaving with Nivea Cooling Gel (with a brush, the can portions out enough for one pass, plus some leftover) and it has a similar "real marine" fragrance. It's not quite as assertive or citrusy, though. Nivea contains bladderwrack, whereas AoS has laminaria. Both seem to be skin calming.

I still think AoS's fragrance is the best, but Nivea's is also a decent marine fragrance, and also more suited to those with sensitive skin. It's more heavy on the seaweed and calone notes, and it dominates the fragrance.

I just finished my tub a few weeks back. It was definitely one of the best shaving creams I've used. I just visited AoS store on Sunday and was told that the their newer line "Bergamot Neroli" was meant to replace both the Ocean Kelp and Lemon as their main "citrus" scent. I haven't compared the two myself but it might be worth checking out next time you're at the store. (another scent in the same realm would be Trumper's GFT)

What I appreciated about Ocean Kelp was that the scent was due to a functional ingredient. Most seaweed extracts have strong scents, and while making a shave cream with seaweed as an ingredient would help to calm shaved skin, integrating it into a fragrance could be challenging.

I find Ocean Kelp to be an exceptionally good cream. It could be all in my head, but I've always felt that the lather was better than with other AOS creams, plus I love the scent. It's probably the only cream and balm that I have a new extra stored away, and hopefully they'll keep for awhile.

Top Bottom