What's new

AoP's Commonplace Shaving Journal

I'm going to be using "Sheep" for the first time today. I'm a bowl latherer and it looks like it should be fine for that. I also see that your Vie Long brushes are very similar to DaniDom brushes in looks. I have one of the DaniDom boar brushes that I had to replace the knot because of excessive shedding. Now I just have to get it broken in.
Cheers!

Not needed, but where is the Stirling Sheep? Why is the Aloe and Vitamin E Proraso alm empty? Was I in a coma?!

The Stirlimg Sheep is still there, I've just been using the Proraso whitel label lately because I like it and it's almost done. I started out with about a quarter of a tube that had been stored away in the medecine cabinet. I'll probably pick up the tub version next time to see how it compares.

I'm going to be using "Sheep" for the first time today. I'm a bowl latherer and it looks like it should be fine for that. I also see that your Vie Long brushes are very similar to DaniDom brushes in looks. I have one of the DaniDom boar brushes that I had to replace the knot because of excessive shedding. Now I just have to get it broken in.
Cheers!

Stirling Sheep is great stuff especially if you want to keep things minimal, as I have been doing the last few weeks. There's something about the mutton tallow and lanolin that really works well for me. A pity that mutton and other tallow soaps are becoming harder to find. If it's a by-product of the meat industry, and the meat itself is still readily available, then why shouldn't it be used?

Cheers!

P.S. Thanks for letting me know about the DaniDom brushes. Just checked them out and they're made in Spain, like the Vie-Longs. I like that they have lots of wooden handles with relatively small knots. My Cup of tea. I'll have to give them a try!

06-11-23:

Proraso white label (shaving cream);
HJM boar (shaving brush);
Focus R21 w/Shark DE blade snapped in half (razor);
Christian Lenart Eau micellaire (astringent/post-shave).

AoP-CSJ--06-11-23-(PS-web-low).jpg

Another fine shave today with familiar players. The Proraso cream is almost used up; and after twelve years of use, the clipped HJM boar knot has finally broken-in nicely! Such a nice brush with regard to the handle's ergonomics. I would pick up a Simpson Persian Jar PJ1 or PJ2 in pure or best badger in a heartbeat if only they would start producing them with wooden handles. Glad to learn of the DaniDom line of brushes.

Third shave in with the Shark blade. It was mellowing nicely, but then I accidentally let it fall to the floor (ceramic tile) in moving stuff. Looks like it's the end of the line for it it as a result.

Top Bottom