What's new

ANZ Soap Sample Pass Around

Package now bound for @Straight up

Fantastic lot in there and I added to it.

I've been using the PIF on my amateur Youtube channel and given thanks for the items with each of my shaves uploaded. Also been very busy and have not been able to post in SOTD as I like to do... But here is my summary.

colgate.jpg

Colgate Cup Soap + SE RR Hawk v3 + Proline SE Blade

I tried to cut this and it just broke as it was so hard. I noticed that there is not much scent at all... it produced a weaker lather that was unremarkable... I was disappointed with the performance but still thrilled to have tried it. For me it evokes such nostalgia to use something made before I was even born! Wow! For me, that's a real privilege! 🙏🙏🙏

I still have a little left, good for another 2 shaves as I kept the shard that broke. I will have to try to press it into the bowl and fill with water to allow it to bloom and see if that produces a different result. My suggestion is to remove a piece and let it bloom first which is what I will be trying next time.

feather SS.jpg

Feather SS + Proline AC Blade + ARKO
My next shave was my 1st SR shave EVER and I did it with a feather SS but I did this with arko (added a little to the box) so I guess I can include that... Arko is slick stuff... But my first shave with an SR was like driving a manual car for the first time... crazy and insane!

My technique was poor and I saw blood... maybe 5 or 6 weepers... all caught for the whole world to see... I found that many things are different from SE and DE safety razors. Including not removing lather with stubble and using the other side of the razor to rinsing and not wiping the razor thereby adding water to my face. What a mess! Luckily Arko is slick which is why I used it for my first SR shave... very forgiving and can take water, it made for an excellent choice. Didn't like the scent though. 2 passes WTG only.

I decided to wear that rather poor and clumsy shave for the whole day and did not go for any clean up with a DE. Better to focus my unconscious on developing the skill and knowing that I'll be wearing the shaves if I don't learn fast.

SP.jpg

'Cubebe' Saponificio Varesino + Feather SS + Proline AC Blade
My 2nd SR shave ever! Using 'Cubebe' by "Soap" - Sapone from the city of "Varese" - suburb - Varesino (area) according to my Italian friend I spoke with at a BBQ yesterday.

Cubebe is probably "May Chang" a lemony pepper essential oil from Asia, which gives this this soap it's top notes which really dominates. It's very complex smell, a cologne. The initial slickness is INCREDIBLE... I rubbed it between my thumb and fingers and it was slick as. The scent mellows out when lathered and is very appealing to me, fresh, woodies, robust and full.

The soap lather did dissipate on the 3rd pass though, could be that's it's a vege soap and I did take longer than usual to do my shave. My shaving technique also improved dramatically having learnt my lessons from the day before. No more mess, no more added water to the face... less weepers. What a soap to use for my SR learning!!! Very thankful.

nuavia.jpg

Nuavia Italia Soap + Feather SS + Proline AC Blade

It's the strongest cologne scented soap I've ever used by miles!!! and miles!!! Bergamot as well... think Drakkar Noir strength.
It's a soft soap, I think mainly due to the overwhelming amount of fragrance. It's very masculine, dominant yet without being harsh in any way. I like it!!! Reminds me of my childhood with Hairy Chested Italian gangsters gambling smoking cigars with gold chains upstairs in a private room above an Italian Restaurant. Very 1970's scent. It's soft and very dark brown... sticky claylike consistency. This has transported in time and space.

Managed to do 3 passes with the last pass ATG... another improvement. I found I couldn't talk when shaving as my concentration is so absorbed. Less weepers... the first day I felt like it was an okay shave with the SR.

Bay rum Conk.jpg

Col. Conk Bay Rum Soap + Feather SS + Proline AC Blade
Today I used the Colonel Conk Bay Rum has a very wonderful pleasant sweet scent. It is far superior in scent profile to Captain's Choice Bay Rum. I've come off 3 days of premium slickness... So although this did the job it's less slick than the other soaps I've been using. The lather is beautiful looking. Just I would like it to be as slick as the others. Especially needed for my beginner SR learning. Though I had a subscriber who is a SR shaver for over a decade who said it was my best shave yet. The lather did last and did not dissipate. Tiniest specks of blood, it was near bloodless. And I had enough endurance to do new techniques including ATG with the whole blade length and some good blade tip and belly work.

After 8 shaves with the proline blade it is clearly getting blunt.

Package arrived today; what a haul! My son and I were sniffing all the soaps and antcipating the shaves to be had. Thanks to all those who went before me for making this such an awesome experience (my first PIF); JohnPS thanks for the Cella & Arko!

Package arrived today; what a haul! My son and I were sniffing all the soaps and antcipating the shaves to be had. Thanks to all those who went before me for making this such an awesome experience (my first PIF); JohnPS thanks for the Cella & Arko!

Sorry it wasn't more as I only have the tiny sample size of Cella and I put 1/3 of my arko stick in, those were just for you btw. You can compare the Arko to the Windsor stick too, that's the whole stick in there. Personally I didn't think the windsor performed well at all, it's an Aussie vege soap....

Sorry it wasn't more as I only have the tiny sample size of Cella and I put 1/3 of my arko stick in, those were just for you btw. You can compare the Arko to the Windsor stick too, that's the whole stick in there. Personally I didn't think the windsor performed well at all, it's an Aussie vege soap....
Yes I saw the blue stick, gave it a sniff and wondered about it. But time will tell.

Yes I saw the blue stick, gave it a sniff and wondered about it. But time will tell.

Oh the whole stick is a Razorock from another member... the other one in the ziplock bag is sliced up. Just thought it was better to cut up due to the times we are living in. It's the jasmine scented one with the blue label. Haven't tried the razorock ones yet...

I thought the sliced one may have been the same thing, but conveniently sliced. Hey which video had the nasty comments? I see the Arko has 209 views!

I thought the sliced one may have been the same thing, but conveniently sliced. Hey which video had the nasty comments? I see the Arko has 209 views!

I sliced it up to prevent someone using it and putting it back, everyone can take whatever they want, be it one slice or two or whatever and keep the whole thing hygienic for everyone.

I block the worst guy on one of the shaveoff videos and when I did the "hide user from channel", it removed all his comments.

And today there was the guy, not rude this time, saying the feather SS is shavette, which is true and I acknowledged that. That was on the "My first shave with the feather SS". I replied to him "Richard", let's see if or how he responds. Clearly he didn't watch the video as I explained that this was a stepping stone and my whole "crawl, walk, run" story. People just want to assert themselves without really understand what I am on about.

I don't get why people aren't encouraging of one another's genuine efforts... if I see someone put in the effort then I am supportive. As I don't get anything from it, if the person is negative for the sake of it, I'll simply block them from now on. I admit clearly what I am doing, my experience and thoughts.

There was something funny someone else told me... he said a lot of people don't know how to shave properly but will comment and claim expertise when it's very clear they suffering from that Dunning Kruger effect. I've never claimed to be an expert and lay all my experience out the open, I even say... today is the 5th time I am using the feather SS etc., and shave on camera, few have the courage to do I think.

I try not to check the views or anything... but it is clearly slowly growing.. 53 subscribers... I've had some drop off but overall the trend is up... I don't really want to get caught up as it's purely amateur.

Last edited:
Thanks for slicing, great idea.

Blocking is the best idea, no oxygen for the oxygen bandits. I sometimes think people will make disparaging remarks because it makes them feel superior/knowledgeable/in control; yet they are often on 'idiot island' on the Dunning Kruger curve. No matter how clearly you label the video, cretins won't read it or listen to you and just blurt out the first dumb thing that comes into their heads "That's not a straight razor!"

While your channel isn't rivaling the big players, you have to start somewhere and as long as the numbers are climbing and you are happy then it is all good. It's funny how many of the channel owners gain their self worth and validation from the external validation of strangers. But that's people for you.

Thanks for slicing, great idea.

Blocking is the best idea, no oxygen for the oxygen bandits. I sometimes think people will make disparaging remarks because it makes them feel superior/knowledgeable/in control; yet they are often on 'idiot island' on the Dunning Kruger curve. No matter how clearly you label the video, cretins won't read it or listen to you and just blurt out the first dumb thing that comes into their heads "That's not a straight razor!"

While your channel isn't rivaling the big players, you have to start somewhere and as long as the numbers are climbing and you are happy then it is all good. It's funny how many of the channel owners gain their self worth and validation from the external validation of strangers. But that's people for you.

Yes, you hit the mark and it was something unexpected but now I am aware I will move forwards with new knowledge about the "Dunning Kruger Curve". Yes, blocking is now the best approach, who needs negativity for sharing a hobby.

Oh, I never expect to rival or compete with anyone, I am simply doing my thing, no sales pitch nor agenda, simply an amateur hobby channel. In fact, though the numbers are climbing a bit, it doesn't mean much, except that maybe others find something in the video for them and hopefully the my sharing is in some way positive for others. I think the numbers things is a trap like the folk on instagram who judge their self esteem based on the likes they receive.

I've had subs and comments from all over the world and for me that the very best part of it. Internet is an amazing place for that.

Also big thanks for your guidance and feedback, I very much appreciate it.

So who wants the box next? Hit me up. On top of the excellent wares already in there, I've added samples of Declaration Grooming Champs de Lavande, Razorock Blue Fougere, Tabac Shave stick, some blades and some fragrances, Joop! Wow & CK Eternity.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Is there still any interest in the pass around box? Just wondering where we are up to?

Top Bottom