What's new

Anything salvageable?

Got this unexpected razor in a package today. Was quite excited at first as I have never had a bartmann. But saw the tragedy when I opened it up. Just curious if there is anything to save here? The rot on the blade is bad. The scales must be off gassing so they must be toast as well? Any of you guys save inlays? At most that is all I guess can be salvaged. It was free and a surprise so I cannot complain. Just wondering if I can do anything at all with what remains.

3D097C27-CA41-4904-8673-1E4620E34125.jpeg
ED717BFD-B3F8-4908-A3AA-B1E02937F84F.jpeg

Yea. Pretty much my assessment but hate it. Thanks doc from another doc

Anyone out there in need of some bartmann pieces?

Polish them before you remove them (trust me)

You can remove the wedge pin, soak in acetone and they will easily lift off

Guess I'm hard headed I'd give that blade a go! Unpin it check the scales if they're off gassing maybe try a coat of CA on them?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You never know you try. I know nothing about Straight Razors. I thought that the scales looked okay. See, what do I know.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You never know you try. I know nothing about Straight Razors. I thought that the scales looked okay. See, what do I know.
Well then brother, you is as dumb as me! You need to hang out with smarter people!

Scales look great actually. But this is pretty clear case of cell rot guys. Folded and closed it was beautiful. Open and the rot line starts right at this pretty scales. Many have tried to fight cell rot. I do not think anyone has won but happy to hear otherwise.

Razor is unpinned. Inlays are all polished and look quite nice. I don’t think the steel remaining would make a good shaving razor. I use junkers for other things.

It was a shame though.

Sure. We all learn somehow. More detail for you if you have never seen before. Old scales were often made of celluloid materials. This stuff can break down over time and it off gasses nitric acid if I recall correctly. That stuff eats steel like alien spit in the movies. It is quite sad to see because often they are beautiful scales. But not only can it eat the razor in it, but people say it can trigger other celluloid scales nearby to start break down too. Nasty stuff really. You can see in my pics how it was not only rusted but literally ate away at the edge steel. Some scales like tortoise shell you can open the razor and see the scale pattern etched into it. Again, nasty stuff and the death of many razors.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the information, my father has all his fathers Straight Razors in his shed. My grandfather was a Barber by trade in his earlier life. I am learning that all these razors are probably useless now. My dad said that I can have them when the time is right. I don’t really want to ask him for them yet but I hope that he offers them up sooner rather than later.

No reason to think they may be useless. I have many celluloid scaled razors that are fine. Other materials were used too. Bone, horn, ivory, wood, metal, later plastics were all used at times. I would more likely assume some if not all of the old razors are good as long as they have not been allowed to rust completely and no one has been carving wood blocks with them. Good luck.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks, when I finally receive them I will make a post about them and we can see what is okay and what is not.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
No reason to think they may be useless. I have many celluloid scaled razors that are fine. Other materials were used too. Bone, horn, ivory, wood, metal, later plastics were all used at times. I would more likely assume some if not all of the old razors are good as long as they have not been allowed to rust completely and no one has been carving wood blocks with them. Good luck.
Thanks for the education, seriously! I sure hope that @ajkel64 's grandfather's straights are salvageable. I have my great grandfather's straight. It looks to be salvageable. I will someday get the nerve to have someone look at it and see if it can be returned to a shave-ready state. That would be so cool.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hone it. DO NOT TAPE. The edge has rotted away a lot, and your bevel angle is very obtuse, so you need to get that spine thinner. Do not store a razor with gassing celluloid scales in a coffin. Leave it out where it can ventilate, and paint the inner face of the scales with epoxy. Try not to get any on the outer surface. You can slow down the rate of attack considerably. When you shut it up inside a coffin you are confining it and the corrosive gasses from the scales together. Bad thing.

You can make a shaver out of it. Or you can cast new scales in epoxy or a casting resin, and incorporate the jewelry in the new scales. Or make some good looking scales with the jewelry, and pin the old razor between some acrylic scales just so you can shave with it.

Don't bother with the pitting. Not worth it. Just keep the razor oiled and prevent rust taking a hold.

If you can't be bothered, cool, but you could PIF it to somebody who might make use of it or parts of it. Those bolsers are pretty cool.

Top Bottom