What's new

Anything comparable to vintage Mennen Cool Spice?

I always used to use Mennen Cool Spice and loved the smell. I still like the Mennen Skin Bracer but am really jonesing for the old Mennen Cool Spice scent. I even paid an outrageous sum for some vintage NOS in an auction on the bay. Does anyone recall the smell and if so, have you found anything close?

I searched the forum and only found an odd reference or two and usually w/r to vintage stock. Please help!

I have some and I must say it's pretty similar to Old Spice but with menthol.
I don't remember what Cool Spice was like, but if that's the case, then Avon Spicy may be close to it. It's no longer in production either, but is similar to Old Spice, contains menthol and is pretty easy to find in thrift and antique stores. I have a few bottles of it and it's very nice stuff.

Thanks for the pointer - I tried Old Spice a long time ago and don't seem to remember liking it (never went back). I'm willing to try it though - maybe even try mixing something up to try to get back the cool spice scent. Man I loved that stuff but didn't think too much about the disappearance till I got back into wet shaving.

Lots of good stuff has disappeared: Mennen squeeze deodorant is another that I really miss (in those little green squeeze bottles). My brothers and my dad and I all used it; and Hoppe's old make of their gun cleaner with the banana oil. I have one old bottle I never use I just pop the cap once in a while to smell it. It's like crayons- the smell instantly brings back memories. Can't wait to get the NOS auction purchase in the mail - hope it's on the level and original contents. If anyone finds a near match post it if you would. My brothers and I would really appreciate it.

I have some and I must say it's pretty similar to Old Spice but with menthol.

I used some Avon Spicy this morning as this thread got me thinking about it, and was very pleased with the results. A nice light menthol feel on the face, and a sweet spice scent. You might want to look around for this one.

Last edited:
Wow, I just saw what the sellers are asking for this on eBay. Same thing for the Cooling Blue.

Yep now you know why I'm looking for something comparable! I actually broke down and bought some NOS in an auction just to have for a reference point.

Now when it's quiet and no one is home, I go into my office and lock the door, and carefully break open the top and get a fix.

I've found an 'almost there' mix though - if you take 3 parts Old Spice Classic and one part Mennen skin bracer original it gets you a similar scent after you put it on. Not quite the same, but close. I'm experimenting with some of the other easily available brands as well (trying to find Old Spice Fresh, and also there was another main brand spice scent at WalMart that was out of stock. I really miss that stuff!

Old products I'd love to have back:
Mennen anti-perspirant/deodorant in the squeeze bottle
Mennen skin bracer cool spice after shave
YSL Opium for men cologne
Marathon candy bars

Years ago Shulton made a flanker of Old Spice called Night Spice which is probably nearest to it. It's very good and can be found on Ebay regularly.

Getting closer...
1 part Mennen Afta original
+
1 part Old Spice

Thanks for your effort! I'll be watching this thread, as Cool Spice brings back great memories for me. I had a bottle when I was in middle school. I also had a bottle of the "Sport Talc" scent that I remember fondly.

AAAAGGGH! I retract the last post w/r to Afta. It starts well, but goes bad somewhat quickly: the Old Spice fades and the Afta becomes nauseatingly overpowering with a 'cheap-by-the-gallon-aftershave' smell (think Steve Martin and Dan Ackroyd Festrunk brothers Wild and Crazy Guys' aftershave). Seriously I can't get rid of this stuff and my dog even left the room. It's like fallout contamination!
I've washed with Dial, Ivory, even Lava soap and I can still smell it! I think maybe it's permeated into my sinuses. Going for the Comet cleanser next. There is a faint hint of something the Afta has that it adds to the mix that makes it initially smell exactly like Cool Spice, but then the mutation begins and people start crossing the street, leaving the break room, etc.

This has gone horribly horribly wrong! I need to go get some tomato juice. I don't know if its the chemical combo of the O.S. and the Afta, or if it's that I used too much of the stuff (used a dime-size), or if it's just the Afta aging poorly. Maybe O.S.,Skin Bracer, and a (very) small portion of the Afta, if any. Thinking like pea sized, maybe pinhead.
If anyone affiliated with Mennen is monitoring - PLEASE please please bring back the Cool Spice. I think I've altered my basic body chemistry here. I feel like Pigpen from Peanuts with that roiling cloud following me around.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone cares, but I did see one poster that said they were interested, so here I go again:
- 1 fl oz Old Spice Classic
- 4 fl oz Mennen Skin Bracer Classic
- 1/8 tsp Mennen Afta AS skin conditioner (it really over-dominates but it seems to have some element that contributes)

So far this is as close as I can get - there seems to be a bit of a menthol element missing (scent-wise) and the afta lingers a little too long (3-4 hours) after the others fade, but it has some staying power (a couple of hours anyway).

Please post if you come up with something better.

I'm a big fan of SB Cool Spice, to the point of acquiring a few NOS bottles. I don't get an "Old Spice-with-menthol" scent, but more of a regular "barbershop spice-with -menthol" scent. Maybe combining some Lustray Spice AS with some menthol crystals is the way to go.

I'm a big fan of SB Cool Spice, to the point of acquiring a few NOS bottles. I don't get an "Old Spice-with-menthol" scent, but more of a regular "barbershop spice-with -menthol" scent. Maybe combining some Lustray Spice AS with some menthol crystals is the way to go.
Thanks - I haven't tried that but might have to. The NOS is crazy expensive. I broke down and bought some as well though. I also found that TOBS Jermyn Street Balm and TOBS Sandalwood Gel mixed makes a nice combo if that helps. I fear nothing will ever again match SB Cool Spice.

Try hitting some garage sales and estate sales. That's how I discovered SBCS - I found a almost full bottle at a garage sale for 50 cents.
Thrift stores can be a good source, too.

Last edited:

Thanks - I haven't tried that but might have to. The NOS is crazy expensive. I broke down and bought some as well though. I also found that TOBS Jermyn Street Balm and TOBS Sandalwood Gel mixed makes a nice combo if that helps. I fear nothing will ever again match SB Cool Spice.

Ok probably time to put this to bed.
I just got the Lustray Spice in the mail (pretty decent btw) and tried it with equal part of Old Spice classic and just a couple of drops of Fine's Snakebite for the Menthol. It starts a bit iffy but it fades to a nice scent close to Cool spice but not that close. The Lustray has a heavier clove tone while the Cool Spice is a bit sweeter. I'll probably try a bit of YSL Opium for men then give up if that's not it.

After all this, it's probably cheaper to just go bite the bullet and buy the NOS Mennen on the auction sites. Thanks for the pointer to the Lustray though - unique and pleasant. A good winter AS.

I have to ask though - what in the world made you pick up the Lustray? The price is way down there far enough to make it suspect, and then the bottle screams 'Dollar Store!'. Surprisingly, in spite of the deceptive appearance it's quite likable (just like me I suppose lol).

Last edited:
Top Bottom