What's new

Anything comparable to vintage Mennen Cool Spice?

Oh noooo! Now I see on amazon they also have 'Blue' Spice Lustray. Darn it now I have to try that too.

Oh noooo! Now I see on amazon they also have 'Blue' Spice Lustray. Darn it now I have to try that too.
DON'T DO IT! Really, it's pretty bad stuff. Their Lilac is not the greatest, either. But the Blue Spice, UGH!!! I use it to clean jewelry. Their Spice is really good though!

I have to ask though - what in the world made you pick up the Lustray? The price is way down there far enough to make it suspect, and then the bottle screams 'Dollar Store!'. Surprisingly, in spite of the deceptive appearance it's quite likable (just like me I suppose lol).

A few years back I was trying out a new barbershop. The barber had just finished shaving my neck when he splashed on some aftershave--it smelled fantastic! The haircut wasn't very good, but I was able to sneak-a-peek at the bottle and label.

I had a little "a-ha!" moment this morning--in a little bottle I mixed 3 parts Lustray Spice with 1 part Osage Rub.
The result; very nice, and IMO, more than kinda close to SBCS. you need to try this.

Gonna try it!

I also had some luck:
3 parts Lustray spice
2 parts Old Spice
1 part Mennen Skin Bracer Classic
1/2 part Fine's Italian Citrus
1 part Fine's Snake Bite (menthol)

Very Very close, but fades after about two hours.

Last edited:
DON'T DO IT! Really, it's pretty bad stuff. Their Lilac is not the greatest, either. But the Blue Spice, UGH!!! I use it to clean jewelry. Their Spice is really good though!

I pulled the trigger before I saw your warning and just received it today. Well, you were pretty much correct. It smells like a gardenia dipped in scented baby powder, only about 10x as strong. It fades to a tolerable scent after an hour but it is way too powdery/floral for me. I was thinking it would be good to use to make the dog smell better after the rain and then he looked up at me and I knew I wasn't capable of inflicting that on him with his heightened olfactory senses. Free to anyone who wants to send me a shipping label.

I had a little "a-ha!" moment this morning--in a little bottle I mixed 3 parts Lustray Spice with 1 part Osage Rub.
The result; very nice, and IMO, more than kinda close to SBCS. you need to try this.

Just got in the Osage Rub. Holy cow! that's some menthol! fades to a nice finish though and you're right - it is very close. Going to try a dash of Fine's Italian Citrus and maybe some Old Spice Classic in there and see what permutates. Thanks!

Tried this and it was nice. Never tried the real stuff though. Too expensive on the bay. I got Vintage Shulton Old Spice for less per ounce.
To pay that much for an old drugstore brand it would have to cause me to be attacked by Victorias Secret super models.

Top Bottom