What's new

Anything better than Fisher Shuttle Gold Grid G4 for under $25?

I've been using a pair of Fisher Cap-O-Matics for the past 2 years, one Chrome and one Lacquered Brass. The Chrome one has lost its clip (after sliding it over the cover of a notebook that was too thick) and the Lacquered Brass one is looking fairly beat/scuffed. I've thought that instead of replacing them both with new identical copies, I would consolidate on one pen that could replace both. This is for daily general office use, light note taking, post-it scribbling, etc. The pen resides in my shirt pocket or inside the placket of a polo shirt when not in use.

I'm really liking the look of the Fisher Shuttle Gold Grid G4. I like the fact that it has some texture which I prefer when in-hand and also should help resist the apparent scratches/scuffs that a smooth finish picks up over time. The mechanism looks like it will be a bit more robust than the Cap-O-Matic (which is starting to jam on my Lacquered Brass also) and seems to be very similar to the more expensive Astronaut model. Lastly, I'm a Fisher fan in general as my background is in Aerospace engineering, even if I'm working in a different field currently.

$31Zz60UkJTL.jpg

Can anyone offer other suggestions in the $25 price range? I'm guessing there's plenty of decent choices from Cross and Parker, but it would have to be something pretty special to overcome my Fisher bias. Thanks in advance!

I had one of those Fisher space pens in the black finish and it gave several years of trouble free service. I did start to have a minor issue that was cosmetic and replaced it with a true AG-7 model.

The AG-7 has been bulletproof. It has held up beautifully over the years on the job (street cop) and has never let me down.

For about seven bucks more, you can get one here.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Space-...F8&qid=1374792916&sr=8-1&keywords=fisher+ag+7

After owning both, I would skip a lunch one day to make the seven dollar difference and get the AG-7.

And I am partial to the bold black refills as they lay down a decent line......even upside down. lol

Regards.

If the AG-7 were available in the gold grid finish, or even the black grid finish, I would probably make that step up. Unfortunately I really like the full grid finish and the AG-7 is only available in the smooth silver finish or the higher priced commemorative engraving versions.

For ball points unless you want to go a parker jotter way a lot of our members have and love fisher pens

And of course, the Parker Jotter will take a Fisher refill. So will other pens that take the Parker style ballpoint refill, lots of choices.

If you don't insist on a retractable, I favor the bullet style Fishers. I generally have one with me, partly because they're reliable, but mostly because I don't want to lend my fountain pens to anybody.:001_rolle

Caran d'Ache has some options in the $25 range. I think they're good looking pens and available in lots of colors and patterns.

I've had this one for about a year and it's held up very well. Not a scratch on it and it writes better than my Jotters.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of the Fishers that have been mentioned - they are quality pens and the refills are quite good (I find they can smear a bit if you're left-handed and tend to drag your hand across what you've written).

I also like the fact that they are made in the US.

I do have a basic silver bullet (not the literal bullet style which Fisher also makes) space pen as well. When I still carried a bi-fold wallet it resided in the fold. I've been carrying a slim card-only wallet for about a year, but my switch back to a bifold in the near future... if I do, the bullet space-pen will go back in there.

The Caran Dache looks a bit utilitarian, though extremely well made. Also looks a bit like a sharpened #2 pencil.

It's looking like my per-disposition to Fisher is being compounded by my fondness of the gold grid finish... I'm not sure anything else is going to beat out that finish. I do think I have a couple of low-end Jotters floating around (maybe a Navy and a Red if memory serves). I may pick up some Fisher refills for those for around the house.

If I were willing to spend a bit more (and I'm probably not) I might consider the Sheaffer Intensity in or Carbon Fiber or Carbon/Chrome. That said, I'm cheap and the Fisher Gold Grid Shuttle just seems to punch above its weight class in terms of finish and build quality.

Monteverde makes some nice looking ball points tjat are easy on the wallet

Both gouletpens and goldspot carry them

The Monteverde stuff looks like it's out of my price range and also possibly a bit bulkier than I care for. That said, after looking at Goulet Pens, I may also give a Pilot Metroplitan a try for fun.

The Monteverde stuff looks like it's out of my price range and also possibly a bit bulkier than I care for. That said, after looking at Goulet Pens, I may also give a Pilot Metroplitan a try for fun.

The Pilot Metro is probably the best beginner pen for the value on the market today. I gave a friend one of these, a bottle of Noodler's Black and a journal and told him he could use this for years and be perfectly happy.

... and now he's hooked on fountain pens and just bought two more bottles of ink. :lol:

Top Bottom