What's new

Anyone write letters?

I wrote my neice, who is a grown woman but said she loves to get letters. I also wrote two of my grandaughters. Im waiting to hear if they ask "why didnt he just email me?" or not lol. Since my newfound facination with fountain pens ive found I do enjoy writing the letters. Ive said more than once that I was born 50 years to late and letter writing is another example of finding joy in the simpler things from a simpler, and in my mind, better time.

Have not written an actual letter (on paper) in so long that I can't remember that last one I did write.

I have 5 daughters so I started to write individual letters to them while I was away from home during my 30 some years in the army. A tradition we keep up to this day. Now I have 8 granddaughters and they love to get letters in the mail. Of course one of them usually sends me an email with a photo attached of the letter she just wrote to gramps and is about to post. Go figure.

i wrote my daughter last year and she sent me a txt to thank me. i wrote my aunt in germany and she sent me an e-mail to thank me. now i write myself daily in a journal

Many of us here exchange letters with each other. PM BrianW if you want to join the group... Which reminds me, I am way behind!

I exchange letters with one of my best friends in Texas a couple times a month. I've also exchanged a few letters and cards with B&B members.

Letters when I get the time. I have done well, for me, with my attempt at keeping a journal this year.

Oh, I manage to *write* letters fine. It's just that somehow I never get around to *sending* them. :) (Yeah, don't ask me how that works, either. I do the part that requires the most work, and then neglect to throw a stamp on and toss it in the mail???) That, and a lot of the people I might write to (those close to me) are sometimes people I correspond with regularly... so all the news is told on the phone or by email, in almost real-time. Anything unimportant enough to not be told right away and wait a few days for letter delivery is not, I find, generally important enough to be told at all... so I'm usually at a loss for what to write.

Pentrace always had a "snail list" of folks who would write to each other. I was on it for a while, but see above problem with letter-writing. :) Also, my life just isn't that interesting that even most of the people I know would be interested in hearing the minutiae, let alone total strangers, lol. The only things I do besides "go to work, come home" are stuff like my dance lessons, choir rehearsals, etc. And trust me, that's not interesting, except maybe to my mum (maybe).

What do you all tend to write about when you write letters?

I write letters to people all the time. Wrote one last night. Its a very relaxing activity for me. Nobody ever writes back, except for my friend in prison and one of the guys from the forum here:) Here is what I typically do to get in the mood not all at once, but I cycle things around: drink some tea, play some jaw harp or didgeridoo, drink some nice bourbon or wine, burn some incense or essential oils, put on a dab of oud(every time), play some chill music in the background.

I love my fountain pens and love trying out new inks. Noodlers #41 brown is my fave so far and the Iroshizuki(sp?) green is really nice too.

PS, did I mention nobody ever writes back? :)

Katia:

I think the art of writing the letter is more important than the content. We could talk about anything, or show off a new style of writing, tell a joke, talk about pens, etc. I mean, in a sense, we are all mostly strangers on this site, doesn't keep us from posting. A letter could be just like posting here, only written.

Katia:

I think the art of writing the letter is more important than the content..

Yes. I like writing and for my grandchildren I think they will like just getting something of their own in the mail. I know they like post cards when we vacation.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, I manage to *write* letters fine. It's just that somehow I never get around to *sending* them. :)
It is funny you say that. Sometime last year I wrote Mark (aka strop) a letter. I could have sworn I had sent it. I was looking through some stuff and found that, alas, I didn't. I feel like a jackass now.

I just wanted to mention how much letters are treasured by the elderly. If they're in nursing homes, or home and not in the best of health, it's a joy almost like no other for them. They carry the letters around to re-read or to read to others. It's a reminder of a time when this was how long distance communication (staying in touch) was done. Although the younger ones see it as something unique, I think it's a good example for them to remember. Most electronic communication is deleted and/or forgotten quickly. It's hard to throw out a letter - especially if it's hand written.

Katia:

I think the art of writing the letter is more important than the content. We could talk about anything, or show off a new style of writing, tell a joke, talk about pens, etc. I mean, in a sense, we are all mostly strangers on this site, doesn't keep us from posting. A letter could be just like posting here, only written.

It's sort of like posting here, yeah, but it feels/seems more personal. Not a bad thing, at all, just a matter of perception, I think.

I have an aunt in Tennessee who I've started writing back and forth with. She's older and doesn't use email. I know she likes getting the letters. We just talk about the weather and what we've been up to (she goes hiking most weeks, and I go snowboarding and mountain biking). Sometimes she tells me things going on with my folks before they even think to tell me, like my dad's recent car breakdown on the way to work. It's never anything earth shattering. It's just a way to stay in touch with a relative that I don't talk to on the phone or communicate with otherwise.

-Andy

Top Bottom