What's new

Anyone write letters?

Now that I'm using fountain pens, I write letters much more often; the handful of pen pals I have accumulated keep me wonderfully busy. I also like surprising friends with letters, especially a friend who moved to India for the year. Letters feel so much more meaningful than emails and I think show more care since you can't just pop one off in a minute. And besides, letters are way more fun when there are so many different shades of ink to try out!

I have exchanged letters with a gentleman, now a friend, in England for about 3 years. Great sense of humour so we have some fun

Yesterday, I found a blank card with a quote and photo on the front that I think my dad will like. It says "Not all who wander are lost" and has a dog headed down a trail in the mountains. The dog pictured looks like a border collie mix that we had for well over a decade when I was growing up. He would try to escape the house by rushing past you kamikaze style every time you went in or out of the house. We never could train it out of him.

He got hit by cars something like five times in his life, but it just scared him or knocked him out each time. Never any permanent damage or anything that needed treatment. We always took him to the vet after a hit and got the "he's a very lucky dog" comment. He was pretty insane but tons of fun. Lots of energy and very affectionate. When he escaped, he'd explore all over town and around a local college.

Later in his life, after we moved about a mile from the first house I spent most of my childhood in, that dog would break out of the house and use the sidewalks and a pedestrian bridge to go visit our old neighbor who was an elderly lady who would spend all day gardening outside. She would watch him until we got there to pick him up. The dog and her were fast friends and enjoyed each other. She told us she always looked forward to him breaking out for a visit.

Anyway, I'm hoping that I can maybe turn Dad into a pen pal. He'll write a note and sign a card if Mom gets one for someone at the holidays, but otherwise he doesn't write letters. I have set him up with a few fountain pens that he enjoys using at work and at home. He's a leftie but has no trouble using a fountain pen, so long as it's not a fine nib. He also has amazing handwriting. He's an engineer from the old school when drafting by hand, pre-computer, was the norm.

-Andy

Yesterday, I found a blank card with a quote and photo on the front that I think my dad will like. It says "Not all who wander are lost" and has a dog headed down a trail in the mountains. The dog pictured looks like a border collie mix that we had for well over a decade when I was growing up. He would try to escape the house by rushing past you kamikaze style every time you went in or out of the house. We never could train it out of him.

He got hit by cars something like five times in his life, but it just scared him or knocked him out each time. Never any permanent damage or anything that needed treatment. We always took him to the vet after a hit and got the "he's a very lucky dog" comment. He was pretty insane but tons of fun. Lots of energy and very affectionate. When he escaped, he'd explore all over town and around a local college.

Later in his life, after we moved about a mile from the first house I spent most of my childhood in, that dog would break out of the house and use the sidewalks and a pedestrian bridge to go visit our old neighbor who was an elderly lady who would spend all day gardening outside. She would watch him until we got there to pick him up. The dog and her were fast friends and enjoyed each other. She told us she always looked forward to him breaking out for a visit.

Anyway, I'm hoping that I can maybe turn Dad into a pen pal. He'll write a note and sign a card if Mom gets one for someone at the holidays, but otherwise he doesn't write letters. I have set him up with a few fountain pens that he enjoys using at work and at home. He's a leftie but has no trouble using a fountain pen, so long as it's not a fine nib. He also has amazing handwriting. He's an engineer from the old school when drafting by hand, pre-computer, was the norm.

-Andy

That is very cool. I have been trying to think of a way to try and turn my dad into a pen pal when he is out of the country, he is usually gone for a couple months at a time. Love the story of your childhood dog. Sometimes they do the craziest things that can drive you mad at the time, but you always look back on it with fond memories. One of the best companions ever.

Thanks for sharing!

The only person I write to is a friend in prison. Others do seem to preffer more current methods of communication. He, however, is a captive audience. Ha

The only person I write to is a friend in prison. Others do seem to preffer more current methods of communication. He, however, is a captive audience. Ha

Years ago I had a buddy that got locked up and I wrote him once a week. Your friend apprciates it im sure. I know when my friend got out he told me how much it helped him do his time. Im still waiting to see if one or both my grand daughters write me back.

That is very cool. I have been trying to think of a way to try and turn my dad into a pen pal when he is out of the country, he is usually gone for a couple months at a time. Love the story of your childhood dog. Sometimes they do the craziest things that can drive you mad at the time, but you always look back on it with fond memories. One of the best companions ever.

Thanks for sharing!

Sure thing, Boris.

-Andy

Top Bottom