What's new

Anyone worried about Shavepocalypse?

I can no longer afford to think in apocalyptic terms. My four year old son has a chronic condition that requires modern medical treatment. If civilization were to collapse he would die. (Heck, we'd be screwed if he couldn't get health insurance.) And if anything happened to him, I'd want it to happen to me too. So when it comes on stocking up on anything that wouldn't be available if modern necessities become unavailable, count me out.

I can no longer afford to think in apocalyptic terms. My four year old son has a chronic condition that requires modern medical treatment. If civilization were to collapse he would die. (Heck, we'd be screwed if he couldn't get health insurance.) And if anything happened to him, I'd want it to happen to me too. So when it comes on stocking up on anything that wouldn't be available if modern necessities become unavailable, count me out.
Good man. @Parallax . Are you planning to stock up on things that could be helpful in more important areas then? I'm just curious...I'm kinda a hoarder. For exampke, My dad and I both need blood pressure meds and you should SEE my stockpile lol. Everyone gives me a hard time (especially the pharmacy). Well we'll seewho's alive and reproducing to keep humanity going ... and cleanly shaved ta boot

Medications expire and require prescriptions so it's not possible to truly stock up. My son's medication loses effectiveness if not refrigerated and it doesn't last as long as your blood pressure meds.

People have been promising an upcoming apocalypse since Roman times (and probably earlier). It ain’t happening.

But a shavepocalypse is more about what happens if Gillette successfully moves the developing world to disposables and cartridges... No more cheap blades sourced from the developing world.

Imagine it: St Petersburg making cartridges or disposables. The end of the world as we know it.

I figure if this happens, the Germans will keep us going. We’ll still be able to get our blades from Solingen (e.g. the German Wilkinson Sword blades), although they may be a tad more expensive than we’re used to.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
People have been promising an upcoming apocalypse since Roman times (and probably earlier). It ain’t happening.

But a shavepocalypse is more about what happens if Gillette successfully moves the developing world to disposables and cartridges... No more cheap blades sourced from the developing world.

Imagine it: St Petersburg making cartridges or disposables. The end of the world as we know it.

I figure if this happens, the Germans will keep us going. We’ll still be able to get our blades from Solingen (e.g. the German Wilkinson Sword blades), although they may be a tad more expensive than we’re used to.

Well there's currently DE blades being made in USA, Germany, Russia, India, Turkey, Egypt, China, Korea, Israel and Pakistan ... and probably other places too. The internet has made sourcing such stuff a whole lot easier, and even if a couple of those factories converted to carts, there's still plenty of supply left.

My shavepocolypse happened every time the usual store I bought my blades from ran out, and I had to traipse around town looking for somewhere, anywhere, that stocked DE blades. Those days are gone. Now, I can get 100 delivered to my door for the price of buying 20 off the shelf, and I have over a decades worth to hand.

I wish I had it this easy for my first 20 years of DE shaving.

Medications expire and require prescriptions so it's not possible to truly stock up. My son's medication loses effectiveness if not refrigerated and it doesn't last as long as your blood pressure meds.
Brother, I am an expert in preservation of various organic compounds and non. If there's any advice you'd like I'd be honored to share some of what I've picked up over the years.

I have enough blades for about one and a half years. I have many razors. I make my own shave soap. Germany makes fine blades but I prefer the ones from St. Petersburg. I guess I will go get enough to last 20 years. That is probably longer than I will last.

Well there's currently DE blades being made in USA, Germany, Russia, India, Turkey, Egypt, China, Korea, Israel and Pakistan ... and probably other places too.

Witch country do you think dominates the DE blade market? Russia? India? Egypt?
I have NO idea but I do know that the blades coming out of Egypt are pretty darn good, and cheap!
If I had to guess though, the Russian blades are of superior quality, but Indian blades are taking over the market. I've found them to be pretty good as well. Just a guess..
Never tried a weeper blade, er (Chinese blade).

I worry 'bout global warming, the nitwits who are in charge of stuff, and the price of short ribs. Not worried 'bout razor blades, tho.
I too am worried a bit about those things .maybe not short ribs, but corned beef. That's mighty expensive. Mainly been smoking shoulder pork, smh
Jamaican jerk chicken with thighs and/or legs is a SUPER value / taste ratio as well.

I’m constantly stocking up on de blades, shave soaps and aftershaves; at the moment I should have enough supplies for a few decades. Still, better to stock up just in case of a shavepocalypse. As I like to say, enough is never enough.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Witch country do you think dominates the DE blade market? Russia? India? Egypt?
I have NO idea but I do know that the blades coming out of Egypt are pretty darn good, and cheap!
If I had to guess though, the Russian blades are of superior quality, but Indian blades are taking over the market. I've found them to be pretty good as well. Just a guess..
Never tried a weeper blade, er (Chinese blade).

No idea. I'd imagine each factory has different strengths and weaknesses in the marketplace, especially as the developed world is the smaller market.

I’m constantly stocking up on de blades, shave soaps and aftershaves; at the moment I should have enough supplies for a few decades. Still, better to stock up just in case of a shavepocalypse. As I like to say, enough is never enough.
Could be the B&B motto. Put it on the flag and the coat of arms.

What blade do you have in the Feather SS handle?
Look closely, this is a Feather Kamisori that was built in the traditional way. No blades to change. Apparently Feather made this at the same time they were making the replaceable blade kamisori and for just one year.

M

member 119848

This scenario reminds me of the movie "The Road".
What a treat must it be getting oneself bathed and shaved! Feeling civilized.
I have a stack of blades that should last decades. But as far as soap, I hope to have a chance stacking more Tabac if anything happens. :001_smile

Top Bottom