What's new

Anyone wonder if hype for continuance of new bases/scents will ever hit a wall?

Anyone remember shaving with a blade made from hardened bronze? Ya think the Pharaohs thought bases had peaked?

Me either.

~doug~
They probably did as the bronze blade was a big improvement from the flint that preceded it. Of course they eventually learned otherwise after the Hittites introduced them to the effectiveness of what was then a new miracle metal called iron.🙂

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Sir, I'm sorry if I touched a nerve with my flippant response. I certainly didn't mean to offend or downplay the negative side of our ever-changing hobby. I'm afraid, though, that it is the way of things. Once common pursuits fall into the realm of the diehards and hobbyists as technology and attitudes evolve and transform the industries around them. Just ask the buggy whip makers. I have multiple "old-timey" interests and hobbies. Its the same story in all of them. Products that used to be high quality and readily available are now not as good, more expensive, or both. All you can do is get good at Ebay searches and appreciate what you have while you have it. Maybe stock up on a few favorites.

I am heartened that at least wet shaving appears to be thriving, even if its being kept afloat by hobbyists, not the old schoolers. Goo took over the mainstream shaving market a long time ago and who can say that legacy brands like Williams would have even lasted as long it has without a budding hobbyist community. In many cases, I see artisan soap makers picking up the slack and even recreating lost classics, ie Razorock's remakes of P160 and Floid Blue. I even find it fascinating that Stirling reissued Stroppe Shop's Baker Street after that artisan ceased production, preserving something of an early "classic" artisan soap. It will not surprise me in the least to see other classic products recreated if there's demand for them. And while one might say that recreations just aren't as good, it is also the case that legacy products undergo reformulations as parent companies and supply chains change even if they never actually go away. That has definitely been true with Williams through the years. And don't get some of these guys started about Old Spice. So with that, I raise my shaving mug to toast the great products of yesteryear. 🍻 May they continue to inspire wetshaving men for many years to come!
It would be interesting if someone would recreate Williams with the original formula. I would even consider switching from ARKO for an American classic that actually worked and at a “Williams” price.

I like to explore, but I am also utilitarian and cost driven. I have settled on my merkur 34C and feather artist club straight. I still am experimenting with DE blades, but that cost is literally negligent. I also need a good brush.

But I have settled on Stirling for my soap needs. To date I have full sizes of Agar, Barbershop. Ben Franklin, Executive Man, Marg. in Arctic and Varen. I have had many, many samples, and my next order will be my final: nag champa, glastonbury, frankinsence and myyrh (if they make it) and coconut. All w/ accompanying after shaves. this will give me 10 in my daily rotation, some seasonal, some year round.

glastonbury and frankincense will be blind buys, but I have come to find I really enjoy dark, older, woody, smoky, even hippie style scents (agar, ben franklin, etc.) the nag champa was a game changer. I smelled the puck and said hoo boy, this is sure interesting. shaved with it, outstanding product. This will finish my exploration for some time.

Top Bottom