What's new

Anyone with Pompadours, Old School Haircuts

PLEASE don't go to your Barber full of butter!! Trust me, you'll get a better haircut without the grease. We know (well, we should) what a pomp is supposed to look like without the grease.

Agreed. I made this mistake once with my barber when I was still sporting a pomp, and we ended up shampooing my head 1st. Pomade will gum up the clippers. When i go to the barber for my side parted taper cut, I may have a little vitalis in my hair and just a bit of groom and clean to keep it in check till I get it cut, thats it.

Funny I should stumble upon this thread...I recently decided to have all of my over two feet of long hair cut off.
I told the guy I just wanted a regular guys hair cut...so he's cutting my hair and gets to talking about what I do, I tell him outside of work I drum in a rock band and he instantly says, "oh, well then I'll leave the front a little longer so it'll hang down in your face a little when you're playing, that will look cool!"
I don't think much of it and before I know it I find he has in fact cut my hair into a pomp, but could not style it due to the curliness of my hair in combination with over two feet of hair with a middle part for the last two years, the part doesn't want to go away. So what I ended up with was a combination of Slick Rick's current do with the quiff in the front and the cut kyo_clone wants depending upon how my hair lays that day. :mad2:

Charlie Le' Mindu cut my a teddy boy esque pompadour at the launch party for some magazine in London, I needed a hair cut but the style was just too much work. He did a really good job for a drunk frenchman at a night club.

If you live in O.C you are in luck !!!!!!!!!!!

Hawleywood's Barber Shop is a 40's old school throw back. The best barbers around and ....no women allowed, period. Have a brew smoke a stogie and
get the BEST cut and shave ever!!!!!!!!!!! www.hawleywoods.com

Thanks for the recommendation! It's a little bit of a drive, but I think I'll pay a visit when the current high and tight grows out a little. I just picked up
some retro glasses and am ready for a different haircut - hopefully they'll have a few good recommendations.

A pomp was the last haircut I sported before the receding hairline/thinning forced me to start buzzing it. There comes a point where you just have to give in to the inevitable!

i have my hair cut in a pomp, but most of the time i dont grease it up i just comb it to the side when i get out of the shower it kind makes it looks like pete from mad men

I have recently decided to resurrect my Greased Pompadour style. Anybody out there who sports this classic style?? I have had a really hard time finding a barber who knows how to create this style. I quit wearing it for awhile when my barber moved away and everyone I tried just couldn't get it right. The right cut is so crucial- don't get me wrong, you need a good pomade.. but a good barber is so hard to find.

Ever since the TV show MadMen, I have admired the classic Don Draper haircut so much that I adopted it myself. I live near Chicago and use to go to a Unisex salon, but for the conversion to the Don Draper cut, I was lucky to find a good barber shop that advertised they did vinitage cuts. Not only do I like the look, but getting the haircut was kind of liberating. I had been wearing the same style since college in the 80s, and came to the conclusion it was time to get a more adult haircut. The barber I found did a fantastic job. It did take some getting use to not having hair cover my ears, being so short in back and on the sides, and having it parted on the side for the first time ever. To complete the look I had to wear it slick. My barber uses American Crew Pomade, which works pretty well, but it is somewhat similar to gel, which I can't stand. I hate plastic hair. I usually use Original Brylcreem or Groom&Clean cause it leaves my hair pliable and slick, and is far less expensive than American Crew pomade.

I keep the top hair somewhat long which allows me to vary the style somewhat - I wear it neatly side parted for work, but when I wanna relax and have fun, I can easily form a Pomp. I have to use Layrite Pomade or Murrays Pomade to get the lift I need for a pomp, and then apply a coat of brylcreem for added shine - its gotta look drippin wet.

Since then, I have been lucky to find 3 barber shops in the Chicago area that can do vintage cuts. Currently, I go to either The Belmont Barber Shop or Joe's Barber Shop. The Esquire Barber Shop in Lombard is also good, as is Barzano's Barber Shop in Itasca.

WORD OF ADVICE - don't go to your barber with grease in your hair. Go in with it clean. Take a pic if you want of how you want your hair to look, but it is really hard to cut hair full of product.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-belmont-barbershop-chicago

http://www.yelp.com/biz/joes-barber-shop-chicago-3

http://www.yelp.com/biz/barzanos-barber-shop-itasca

http://www.yelp.com/biz/esquire-barber-shop-lombard

:001_cool:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Vitalis doesn't hold as much as it just weighs it down a bit. If you have out of control hair (I do), Vitalis won't do much for you.

I have been ruined forever since seeing this pic. No Pompadour for me.

proxy.php

Could be worse! I actually had to change barbers. I've been rocking a pomp for the past year and a half, and I was going to an actual salon (hey, barbershops are incredibly scarce where I live), and had so much grease and pomade in my hair that I gummed up and burned up the chick's clippers. :laugh: Being as she'd been cutting my hair for almost a year, I felt obligated to pay for them on top of my haircut. However, I found a bad *** barbershop in Sacramento about 35 minutes away that I've been going to ever since. Didn't have the heart to go back to the same girl after burning up her clippers, and that almost a year ago.

But for anyone in the NorCal area, check out: http://eddys-deluxe.com/

Could be worse! I actually had to change barbers. I've been rocking a pomp for the past year and a half, and I was going to an actual salon (hey, barbershops are incredibly scarce where I live), and had so much grease and pomade in my hair that I gummed up and burned up the chick's clippers. :laugh: Being as she'd been cutting my hair for almost a year, I felt obligated to pay for them on top of my haircut. However, I found a bad *** barbershop in Sacramento about 35 minutes away that I've been going to ever since. Didn't have the heart to go back to the same girl after burning up her clippers, and that almost a year ago.

But for anyone in the NorCal area, check out: http://eddys-deluxe.com/

I have a friend who lives in Fair Oaks who goes there and says the barber lady there is awesome, I just went back recently to rockin more of a pomp. I have not tried Suavecito... I will have to ask my barber about it... My barber snapped a quick pic of mine for his Facebook Page last time I was in- I was going to an event that night and asked him to get it as slick as possible- this is my hair with a very old school product called Tres Flores- it had about the consistency of vaseline- very greasy and a nice shine-its better for slicking it back than pomping it up.
proxy.php

Hey guys. Great topic. I can relate to others posts here about finding the right barber who knows how to do the classic cuts, especially the pomp. I've been lucky in that I know of 2 shops in Chicago where you can get a decent pomp. I use to go to a shop in Itasca, IL, but that was a long drive for me. Since then, I discovered 2 shops in Chicago that can do pomps: Joe's Barbershop (2641 W. Fullerton Ave) and The Belmont Barbershop (2328 W. Belmont). Of the 2, I'm a bigger fan of Joe's because: 1) no appt necessary; 2) they use Layrite pomade; 3) they know how to do classic vintage styles; 4) the barbers are awesomely friendly; 5) it's a real barbershop with real barbers (no cosmotologists); 6) it does not have a salon/beauty shop vibe - it's 100% guys - no stinky perms; 7) the price is right; 8) they do hot lather straight razor shaves; 9) they treat you like family; 10) I always want to come back. Don't get me wrong, The Belmont Barbershop is cool, but it has more of a contrived salon vibe. Even though the guys are barbers, they insist on appointments (at least the last time I was there) and they kind of have an attitude that if you are late you are out of luck. To me one of the main selling points of a barbershop over a salon or other chain haircut place is that you can walk in anytime - there may be a wait, but I'd rather wait than have to feel like I'm rushed to get there at a certain time.

There are a number of barbershops named "Joe's" as you might imagine, so if you are wanting to try out Joe's, make sure you go to the right one. They are open Tues - Sunday (yes, on SUNDAY!). The shop may not look like much on the outside or inside, but you won't be disappointed with the haircut. I'm pretty sure any of the barbers there can do a great vintage cut, but I would recommend going to Joe Sr or Joe Jr on your first visit if possible. Just explain what you want and they should be able to do it - just do em a favor and go with your hair clean without grease in it so it's easier to cut. Bring a pic if you would like to show em how you'd like it to look, but these guys know what they are doing so if you mention POMP, they will know - just be clear on how long you want to keep it. They'll load you up with pomade for the asking, so don't worry. Also check out their face shaves - very soothing - very smooth.

As for pomade, Layrite works OK, but I usually add a bit of American Greaser Supply 40wt pomade, Royal Crown, or Murray's Lite to make it even more wet looking - I want it to look dripping wet. Layrite does well for hold to get the pomp high, but could be wetter looking for my tastes.

I've tried a number of cuts over the years, but my favorite continues to be the pomp. So as long as I have hair and have a barber that can maintain it, that is my haircut of choice.

Check out Joe's Barber Shop @ http://www.joesbarbershopchicago.com/

Check out The Belmont Barbershop @ http://www.belmontbarbershop.com/

Check out American Greaser Supply @ http://www.americangreasersupply.com/

Check out Layrite Pomade @ http://www.hawleywoods.com/

:thumbup1:

Top Bottom