What's new

Anyone using unscented or minimally scented soaps?

Hello all:

I am trying to get away from scented soaps. I've read that it's better for the skin. I have sensitive skin and have noticed that some creams and soaps irritate my lips if I get lather on them (my lips actually swell up and ache a bit). I am not buying any more scented soaps and am using up what I have. I will continue using what I consider to be "minimally scented" soaps, such as: La Toja and Valobra. Can anyone recommend lightly scented or unscented soaps?

I know Mama Bear has unscented soap and Mike's has unscented soap...are there others with unscented or very lightly scented soaps?

Thank you!

I also prefer lightly scented soaps and have easily irritated skin. Fortunately many (if not most) artisan vendors offer unscented and/or lightly versions of their soaps.

Two of my favorites are - Mystic Waters Sensitive Skin and Valobra Unscented puck or Stick. Finally - MWF is very lightly scented and performs very well for me.

Barrister and Mann was recommended to me when I asked about unscented tallow soaps. I ended up liking Arko that was aired out a bit, but that may not work for sensitive skin. Some people find Arko drying.

Last edited:
I'm required to be unscented in the workplace, so I need either unscented or lightly scented soaps (and creams), too.

Remember, things in soaps such as lanolin or coconut oil can give some folks problems even in an unscented soap, so YMMV. But of the soaps I've tried:

Unscented: Stirling and Mystic Waters
Lightly scented: Halslinger Schafmilch and Pre de Provence

All are outstanding performers.

I can confirm that Mike's, Barrister & Mann, and Stirling unscented soaps all work nicely. Van Der Hagen makes an unscented version of their Luxury shave soap that is cheap and works well.

You could also try HTGAM Synergy Unscented, and there's a couple of artisans you can look into Tiki Bar Soaps and Wickham Soaps. Both have some lightly scented soaps, with very similar names. Tiki's Salty Air and Wickham's Southsea Beach. Both have a scent similar to La Toja in that it's a salty, seaside scent.

My brother has a similar problem with scented soaps such as dreadnought and tobs. But he has tried some like Boellis and MdC unscented with no problems.

Actually, I think William Carius of Barrister&Mann actually started making his own soaps (starting with unscented) because he had sensitive skin and many of the fragrance or essential oils used to scent soap would cause irritation. However, this list shows a remarkably large cross-section of available soaps in a light or unscented categories.

Martin de Candre Unscented. It's not totally odorless, more like an extremely weak version of the regular (scented) MdC.

I make my own croaps and have been using unscented exclusively for weeks. Love it. My pamper comes from the brush and the whisker removal, not the scent. YMMV.

Martin de Candre Unscented. It's not totally odorless, more like an extremely weak version of the regular (scented) MdC.

This. Also, for the same reasons you indicate in your OP, my absolute favorite:

Proraso White Sensitive Formula.

$proraso-white-soap.jpg

I'm using one of the Van der Hagen soaps (I think it's the Select but might be Deluxe) and it has very little scent.

Van Der Hagen Luxury has both scented and unscented soaps. I like the unscented one best. It lathers easily and provides a nice slickness. It is in my soap rotation. Since it is clear, I have it in a clear glass mug.

Kiss My Face Fragrance Free is a great cream, very inexpensive and easy to find in lots of supermarkets.

Top Bottom