What's new

Anyone used a Muhle Rocca Silvertip brush

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
091m94_1000x1000__45807.1619629425.500.659.jpg

I am looking to acquire a silvertip badger brush with a small knot that is good quality and lasts and won't use all my soap. I have the Muhle Rocca R94 razor and was wondering if the matching brush was a good investment, I will probably only ever own one silvertip. The only other badger I use is the Yaqi Moka-Express 26mm 2 band badger which I love the feel of but use mainly as my 3017 brush of choice.
I looked at Simpsons, but they are too expensive for me I have also looked at Omega and Semogue but like the look of the Muhle more. I have read mainly good reviews, but there have been a few that mentioned shedding as a problem. I am grateful for any opinions.

I have one of the Rocca brushes. For me the handle was uncomfortable and made my hand cramp. Probably too short and slim and cylindrical to grip well so I was gripping it too hard. It does look good but I find a contoured handle much more practical.

View attachment 1437930
I am looking to acquire a silvertip badger brush with a small knot that is good quality and lasts and won't use all my soap. I have the Muhle Rocca R94 razor and was wondering if the matching brush was a good investment, I will probably only ever own one silvertip. The only other badger I use is the Yaqi Moka-Express 26mm 2 band badger which I love the feel of but use mainly as my 3017 brush of choice.
I looked at Simpsons, but they are too expensive for me I have also looked at Omega and Semogue but like the look of the Muhle more. I have read mainly good reviews, but there have been a few that mentioned shedding as a problem. I am grateful for any opinions.

I have the Rocca brush with the birch bark handle, but - like the Rocca razor - rarely use it.
The brush has quite a bit of weight concentrated in the handle which makes for an unusual balance.

Semogue, in particular the Semogue Owners Club (SOC) brushes offer IMO tremendous value for money and would be a sure bet. I particularly like the ones with natural wood handle. Another excellent choice would be their Torga (C5) brushes.

Can’t speak about Chinese brushes and have such a range of brushes already that I see no need to go and find out whether these Chinese brushes are a quality product, or not.

I rather stay with the tried-and-true that I know…

B.

I just ordered the birch bark handled version in spite of these and a couple other comments about the ergos. Mine is the synthetic knot and I'll be surprised if I can't make it work in the rotation of 12-13 other brushes. But the main reason I wanted it was to look at. ;) Also ordered the matching Rocca razor. Got them from shaving.ie rather than the US as they are sooo much less expensive there (about a third less and no sales tax).

I just ordered the birch bark handled version in spite of these and a couple other comments about the ergos. Mine is the synthetic knot and I'll be surprised if I can't make it work in the rotation of 12-13 other brushes. But the main reason I wanted it was to look at. ;) Also ordered the matching Rocca razor. Got them from shaving.ie rather than the US as they are sooo much less expensive there (about a third less and no sales tax).
One of those comments was mine - about finding the handle uncomfortable - but I’ve got used to it since then and I like the brush much more now. The 23mm knot is a nice size and the Mühle STF is probably one of the best synthetic knots - soft, splays easily, isn’t trying to imitate a badger.

I think you should like the brush. If not, give it time.

I have one of the Rocca brushes. For me the handle was uncomfortable and made my hand cramp. Probably too short and slim and cylindrical to grip well so I was gripping it too hard. It does look good but I find a contoured handle much more practical.

+ 100%. Loved the entire look of the birch Rocca series, but found the razor lacking in the smoothness department and the brush unusable for my headshaves. A real pity.

One of those comments was mine - about finding the handle uncomfortable - but I’ve got used to it since then and I like the brush much more now. The 23mm knot is a nice size and the Mühle STF is probably one of the best synthetic knots - soft, splays easily, isn’t trying to imitate a badger.

I think you should like the brush. If not, give it time.
I thought the knot was 21mm. Not that it really matters to me - I now go from a Wee Scot to a Proraso Pro in size range with nary an issue.

+ 100%. Loved the entire look of the birch Rocca series, but found the razor lacking in the smoothness department and the brush unusable for my headshaves. A real pity.
I have yet to use a razor that is not smooth. IMO blade and technique. As I don't shave anything but my face, I'm curious how the brush was "unusable" for your headshaves?

One way or another, I'll know what I think in a couple weeks. If I hate the razor/brush, I suppose I could sell them here because I think returning them to Ireland would be a PITA. My guess is, I'll keep them and they'll both be in rotation.

I have yet to use a razor that is not smooth. IMO blade and technique. As I don't shave anything but my face, I'm curious how the brush was "unusable" for your headshaves?

Nah tried various blades. Some razors are just not smooth for certain skin/hair combinations. Head shaves can be particularly tricky. But I would say that face shaves would have been no issues, but since I only shave my head nowadays, it had to go.

The brush handle was cumbersome to hold because of the weight and I never felt the handle was secure in my hands, especially when it got lather on it. Add to that that sometimes the knot screwed loose...

Nah tried various blades. Some razors are just not smooth for certain skin/hair combinations. Head shaves can be particularly tricky. But I would say that face shaves would have been no issues, but since I only shave my head nowadays, it had to go.

The brush handle was cumbersome to hold because of the weight and I never felt the handle was secure in my hands, especially when it got lather on it. Add to that that sometimes the knot screwed loose...
Ah. So that's one of their brushes with the replaceable, screw in knots? If that were an issue, I suspect a couple dots of Blue Loctite might help. It's interesting you mentioning a feeling of lack of security on the handle because for many, it seems to be a selling point for the birch handle. Regardless, I'm a neat shaver and keep a small microfiber towel on the counter to keep my hands dry and lather off handles. Does seem like the brush has some weight to it so holding over your head might be a nuisance.

I guess I'm pretty fortunate that I don't have too many challenges with my beard or skin. My guess is that's due to shaving everyday, not a heavy beard, and a light touch.

What will be funny is if these end up on BST because I am absolutely incorrect in my assumptions with this pair! ;)

Mike M

You’re right. It’s 21mm.
The Kosmo, Sophist, Stylo, Traditional and Purist all use the same 21mm knot which can be unscrewed and replaced, you can also buy a 21mm silvertip badger knot that you can use in the handle too.

I have not unscrewed my Kosmo knot as I love the brush way too much to even try it

The Kosmo, Sophist, Stylo, Traditional and Purist all use the same 21mm knot which can be unscrewed and replaced, you can also buy a 21mm silvertip badger knot that you can use in the handle too.

I have not unscrewed my Kosmo knot as I love the brush way too much to even try it
Thanks. I’ve learned something today. Why don’t more brushmakers do that.

So does the Rocca unscrew or not (knot?)? One person said it did and it's not on your list.

Mike M

So does the Rocca unscrew or not (knot?)? One person said it did and it's not on your list.
The Rocca is the same as the traditional but made to match the Rocca line of razors, so yes

Top Bottom