What's new

Anyone use toothpowder?

That's a tough question, however if you want to go as natural as possible and don't want SLS and toxic flouride , then go with a powder. On a side note, almost all commercial toothpastes contain formaldehyde , but the cosmetic companies " take care " of the FDA , so they do not have to list it. Most countries demand it to be listed...Is Your Toothpaste Full Of Carcinogens?
Thank you for getting back with me on this. I appreciate it deeply.

From time to time I have used Per Blan toothpowder.

74591_01.jpeg

I just got this Primal Life toothpowder and it's crap. I can't stand the charcoal flavor but I like the concept of toothpowder. And supposedly the charcoal is good at whitening and removing toxins. So I'll probably use it until it's gone and look for something else. Without charcoal.

What else is out there? Anyone use toothpowder? What do you use?

I made my own this week and have used it a few times. Was ok.
50% Salt. 50% Bicarb.

No preservatives, sweeteners, flouride, microplastics, soap, or wierd chemicals.

I am currently wondering why toothpaste needs to be so complicated and expensive...

Its a mineral made of largely calcium carbonate. Think limestone. Diatomaceous earth is the tiny shells of plankton and is also used as a tooth powder abrasive...part of what I use in my blend and maybe what they are referring to.

Last edited:
Its a mineral made of largely calcium carbonate. Think limestone. Diatomaceous earth is the tiny shells of plankton and is also used as a tooth powder abrasive...part of what I use in my blend and maybe what they are referring to.
Cool, never knew about this. Thanks.

@malocchio
Yep yep. @Scarry Knight squared me away. Thanks for the information. Learn something new everyday. All this time I thought it was just lye that did all of that.
Now here is a odd question, which came first, the fruit or the quick?

Surely it’s not quick lime (oxidizer) that is put in tooth powder. Thats what is put on corpses, organic waste and sewage spills to break them down.

Calcium carbonate would be the one used.

I have used many in the past but Christopher's has medicinal value for gums. You can read reviews online.

Christopher's Original Formulas Herbal Tooth and Gum Powder

Just remixed a batch last night which came out far better than past efforts.

Yarrow
Horehound
Cocoa
Slippery Elm
Diatomaceous Earth
Coconut charcoal
Cinnamon leaf oil
Cinnamon bark oil
Cloves ground
Stevia leaf ground
Mullein
Yerba Santa
Oregano oil (Eugenol)
Pot Marigold (Calendula)

I`ve used the Indian made Colgate tooth powder and Pepsodent American tooth powder when it was made. I found it helped clean better than toothpaste and it made for a nice change using it from time to time.

Indian Colgate is really good stuff.

I've tried traditional Indian tooth powders. They are far too aggressive and made my teeth sensitive.

When I run out of my current powders I'll choose from these Russian powders next...

Attachments

• TO1.jpg
    TO1.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 5
  • TO2.jpg
    TO2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 6
  • TO3.jpg
    TO3.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 6
  • TO3.jpg
    TO3.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 5
  • TO4.png
    TO4.png
    200 KB · Views: 5
  • TO5.jpg
    TO5.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 6
  • TO6.jpg
    TO6.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 5
You want to watch out for harsh abrasives. Soft clays like kaolin or bentonite are OK, but some older tooth powders had very hard minerals that wore away enamel quickly. There's a reason Radioactive Dentin Abrasivity became an international standard. Old 19th century toothpastes could have RDA's in the 1000's, and often had ingredients like pumice.

Baking soda is OK in the short term, it's not abrasive, though it might chemically denature the pellicle of the tooth over time (there's debate over how significant that is some dentists recommend baking soda, others do not).

My favorite toothpowder now days is actually toothpaste tablets. Weldental makes one that's very low in terms of abrasion, it's stereate and calcium phosphate based. I like to rotate it with stain removing toothpastes (Rembrandt is still the best mass-market toothpaste, but increasingly hard to find) and fluoride rinse treatments.

My all-time favorite toothpaste right now is Theodent, though. It feels silky smooth, has a low abrasion, and has a great flavor that isn't harsh.

Last edited:
Have really grown to appreciate tooth powders over the years. First one was from a small boutique in Frankenmouth made from Spearmint leaves & Kelp, still have some but not a fan.

Check out your local Indian Grocery Stores, there is one locally that has a great selection of various tooth powders with Aurvedic ingredients and various herbs that taste great. Red has been my go to brand but mentioned the COLGATE Super Ranshak is a good start as it foams up like regular toothpaste so the transition is not as steep because most do not have foaming agents and can be a bit different at first.

I`ve used the Indian made Colgate tooth powder and Pepsodent American tooth powder when it was made. I found it helped clean better than toothpaste and it made for a nice change using it from time to time.
same on the indian colgate tooth powder as well as a herbal one. I'm not clear on its general purpose compared to toothpaste. Storage? price? mix your own fad? Maybe its just oldschool? Personally, I see no difference performance wise. Just fun to mix my own toothpaste every now and then.

Top Bottom