What's new

Anyone use the Simpson IOM TT "Petrol Head" synthetic?

I got one for a friend who is a motorcycle and Isle of Manx fanatic and at the approx. $15 asking price decided to add a second one to give it a shot for myself... ought to be arriving in a week or so.

My experience with synthetic knots is limited, one of the cheap Muhle black fiber brushes and a Kent. neither was to my taste, the Muhle was very floppy and the Kent had OK backbone, but the tips were too soft to provide any massage effect. Both lathered just fine, though the Muhle didn't pick soaps up very well.

Still hasn't arrived, but once it has I'll be sure to post back on my findings.

Yesterday was the first time using the Simpson synthetic, the tips are very soft, while the the rest of the bristle is quite springy... Overall a firmer feel than the other synthetics I have tried and effective as a face lathering brush, despite the tips being too cushy for my taste. It also splays much less than a typical badger knot, more like an Omega boat in that respect, so it doesn't feel huge, maybe comparable to a Commodore 1 or Berkeley. The density is also much lower than most natural fiber brushes, but works well in concert with the large knot and high loft dimensions. I'd say it's probably at it's best with creams or bowl lathering and won't satisfy those of us who prefer a bit of scrub along with our face massage in the morning... As far as lather performance and softness though it's truly an excellent performer, certainly worth the sub $20 sale price several times over.

I wonder if this is the same bristle as the Kent, just in a larger knot? My Kent was passed along several years back, so I can't do a head to head (face to face?) comparison, but my memory of it is quite similar.

Yes, I like the handle it's nicely proportioned, not much taller than a Berkeley and wider, but not enough to make it difficult to grip when it gets soapy.

I'm going to revise my size on-face estimate to "Colonel sized" but it's so much less dense at the tips that it feels smaller.

If they had made it a touch coarser (or at least slightly textured) at the tips and packed it a bit more densely it might have become serious competition for my badgers. As it is the brush is a very good performer and a definite keeper, even if it's not quite regular rotation material.

Yesterday was the first time using the Simpson synthetic, the tips are very soft, while the the rest of the bristle is quite springy... Overall a firmer feel than the other synthetics I have tried and effective as a face lathering brush, despite the tips being too cushy for my taste. It also splays much less than a typical badger knot, more like an Omega boat in that respect, so it doesn't feel huge, maybe comparable to a Commodore 1 or Berkeley. The density is also much lower than most natural fiber brushes, but works well in concert with the large knot and high loft dimensions. I'd say it's probably at it's best with creams or bowl lathering and won't satisfy those of us who prefer a bit of scrub along with our face massage in the morning... As far as lather performance and softness though it's truly an excellent performer, certainly worth the sub $20 sale price several times over.

I wonder if this is the same bristle as the Kent, just in a larger knot? My Kent was passed along several years back, so I can't do a head to head (face to face?) comparison, but my memory of it is quite similar.

Thanks for the review!!

I just saw these things. Cost a few (well more than a few) extra dollars than listed here. But wow!!!
I am a motorcycle afficianado since the ‘70s and this brush is just too cool.

I got mine direct from Simpson, they were 14.95 GBP with VAT and 12 something without VAT, so just under $20 USD before shipping depending on current exchange rates. IIRC, that was 1/2 off of MSRP. I've seen them for sale by at least one US seller, but for something closer to the original price.

I picked up a RazoRock Bruce for the preposterous sale price of $6.11 at their recent sale, the fiber definitely has tips that are a bit closer to what I prefer and it's packed to a higher density. Now if it was just a smaller knot... I have a 22mm Keyhole on the way to see how that works out (and some bitter orange TFS).

I wouldn't say that the Simpson makes lather any better (or worse) than the Plissoft knot, but it does have cushier tips, which is a bonus or a failing depending on your perspective. Both have very nice heavy turned handles, but I like the Simpson handle better. For what they cost I'll gladly keep both.

Top Bottom