What's new

Anyone use Rahul Gladwin (straightrazorhoning dot com)?

Hi, after some positive experiences with a Feather AC shavette and research on B&B, decided to try straight razor shaving. Ordered a paddle strop and a George Wostenholm & Son "Conqueror" - 11/16 Full Hollow Blade - Restored Vintage Sheffield Straight Razor from Griffith Shaving.

First shave felt like a lot of tugging, regardless of angle adjustments. Tried stropping with a little green polishing compound to no avail.

Anyway, I like to support local businesses when possible and found his site (straightrazorhoning dot com). Anyone have any experience with this Rahul gentleman or have a honemeister in Illinois that you'd recommend?

Thank You!

Hi, after some positive experiences with a Feather AC shavette and research on B&B, decided to try straight razor shaving. Ordered a paddle strop and a George Wostenholm & Son "Conqueror" - 11/16 Full Hollow Blade - Restored Vintage Sheffield Straight Razor from Griffith Shaving.

First shave felt like a lot of tugging, regardless of angle adjustments. Tried stropping with a little green polishing compound to no avail.

Anyway, I like to support local businesses when possible and found his site (straightrazorhoning dot com). Anyone have any experience with this Rahul gentleman or have a honemeister in Illinois that you'd recommend?

Thank You!
If you bought it from Griffith and it really wasn’t shave ready I would contact Griffith first and give them a chance to make it right. It’s a very reputable company and should take care of it for you.

My razor from Griffith was indeed shave ready. I’d contact Matt, he is capable of putting a good edge on a razor.

My last one was tugging as well. Post shave skin feel was good but the edge wasn't sharp enough for my whiskers.
Contact Matt, he will fix it. His customer service is great.
Olympiakos hey? I am a life long fan of PAOK.

Matt can hone a razor, but everyone can have off days also. If he made a genuine error there should be no trouble with him re-honing the blade for you. Give him the opportunity before going to another honer (imo).

I don't think I would have hit a pasted strop first though even with tugging. Paddle strops are good and I use one most of the time now but I do keep a hanging linen strop around, the linen can help just clean the edge up. Even a strip of clean denim from some jeans will work for the task without having to spend any/much money.

If the fabric doesn't kick up the edge then a few light laps on paste (no more than 5), back to fabric then to leather. If the edge doesn't come back to sharpness then you need to have the blade honed.

I think paste is a great tool but the key is not to wail away on it, a handful of laps is all it should take.

Top Bottom