What's new

Anyone use pucks like shave sticks?

I’m a big fan of shave sticks. Does anyone here use hard pucks like shave sticks? Pick up the whole thing and rub across a wet face before face lathering rather than load right from the puck?

I have a few times but I usually by a stick or make one from a puck by stuffing it into a tube. I love sticks also. I use sticks about 80% of the time.

I have seen people do it with Williams mug soap.

I don't have a problem getting amazing lathers with Williams, but it seems that some people do. Those people in particular often can get a great lather if they switch to using it as a stick , it seems.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

All the time.
DSCN0699.JPG

Seems like it would waste less soap, create less mess and dry faster.
I use Modern Williams as a shave stick, great results, lathers quickly, and very little waste!! The pics below show a puck that, after 170+ 2-pass shaves, has become too small and slippery for my large hands. I typically rub the edge of the puck on my wet face and face lather plenty of thick (not airy nor thin) lather. I do dry the puck after each use. I use this method with any puck that is not stuck in the tin or container (one such soap is PdP 63).

Williams with 70+ shaves:
MW_Williams_As_ShaveStick_70_Shaves.jpg

Williams with 170+ shaves:
MW_Williams_As_ShaveStick_170_Shaves.jpg

I’ve used Williams and Monsavon as a stick. It was easier to load the Monsavon near the end, and I was using it for travel. I wanted to load plenty of Williams, so I loaded the brush as well as loaded the whiskers!

When Mike's Natural Soap was sold in huge block forms, I would pick up the block, wet it, and rub the block on my face and then face lather like that. That was in 2012 when he was just getting started. I'm sure he's gotten more convenient since then.

I'm all for "stickified Williams".

Regular

or Wide

Since it's surrounded by plastic it never completely dries out, which is good for Williams.
You can bloom it just before use with a bit of water in the cap, and stand it upside down during a prep shower.

Some assembly required.

I do, Proraso red. Yes, I'm sure many of you are wondering how to use a croap as a shave stick. Well, with this particular tub, I always put the tub on the radiator with the lid off after shaving until ready to head to the lab, just to get rid of the excess water. Well, one day, I forgot to take it off the radiator and put the lid back on before going, so when I came back after roughly 12 hours in the lab, the puck was about 30% smaller and quite solid (not hard, just solid). Since it shrunk so much, I was able to just pop it right out of the tub, which is now what I do to use it as a shave stick. Really nice I must say.

I use Modern Williams as a shave stick, great results, lathers quickly, and very little waste!! The pics below show a puck that, after 170+ 2-pass shaves, has become too small and slippery for my large hands. I typically rub the edge of the puck on my wet face and face lather plenty of thick (not airy nor thin) lather. I do dry the puck after each use. I use this method with any puck that is not stuck in the tin or container (one such soap is PdP 63).

Williams with 70+ shaves:
View attachment 1013231

Williams with 170+ shaves:
View attachment 1013230
Why not wrap it in some aluminum foil if it’s too small and slippery to hold?

At the rate you’re going with that puck, I have enough on hand for 15 years! :117:

I purchased a plastic tube from WCS. It works just fine for me. :a14::a14:
What does this mean? You smashed a puck into a shave stick container? I'm talking about rubbing a puck directly on the face instead of lathering on the puck.

What does this mean? You smashed a puck into a shave stick container? I'm talking about rubbing a puck directly on the face instead of lathering on the puck.

You can push softer soaps into the container. For hard soaps, you can grate first then insert in the container.

Why not wrap it in some aluminum foil if it’s too small and slippery to hold?

At the rate you’re going with that puck, I have enough on hand for 15 years! :117:
That's a great idea!! (I'm very impressed with how long many shaves I was able to get from a $1 puck!!)

Top Bottom