What's new

Anyone use just one?

I know this is treading into dangerous territory, but I can't stop myself...

Does anyone use just one? One razor, one brush, one type of blade, one soap/cream exclusively (or almost exclusively)?

I love doing research and exploring new things, but once I find what I like I tend to become a creature of habit with only occasional deviations from a norm. Anyone else have this same bent?

yep. once I found what worked, I use it and nothing else. I sold off what I didn't use and threw out the rest. Now I just use one razor, one brush, one blade and one soap.

Last edited:
Pretty much. I use my Duke 2 almost exclusively. I say "almost" because I have a Wee Scot that I use for travel. I have two razors but I only use my Futur. My Slim sits in the drawer un-used. I tend to use only one after shave in the winter but in the summer I'll change it up a bit. Soaps and creams are something I like to mix up although I tend to use one more often that the others in the den until it's used up. I've found the blade that works best for me but I like to try others just to check them out.

I am still in the early days but have already found what I like.

I have a Merkur Progress which I use primarily.
I also have a Gillette HD Rocket from the UK, which belonged to my father in law when he was alive.
I have my first DE which was a plain plastic Wilkinson Sword classic, but I don't use it presently.

I like the ToBS cremes and tend to use a rotation of three presently, and I have a soap which then needs to be used once they are gone, Kent MWS.

I like the Feather blades but still have a selection pack which came with my Merkur kit when I bought it, so am using the others too, but Feathers will be my blade of choice.

I'll stick with the Merkur and the Feathers and will change Cremes etc.

The Rocket will make a good travel razor when I am in UK visiting her family, but it's a little tame for daily shaving, although much easier to use than the Merkur, but I'm used to the Merkur now and like it.

One brush (tweezerman badger), one soap (MWF). One strop (Illinois, but I can't remember the number), one witch hazel (T.N. Dickenson's).

Not since I shaved with Gillette Good News Disposables and Barbasol gel. I did that from 2003-06 when I switched to DE and went back to using my brush and soap. Back then I could get 3 months out of a twelve pack of Good News razors and a can of gel, all for about $10. That was pretty cheap back then and the shaves weren't all that bad, they just weren't great.

Clayton

I only have, and use, two razors (Slim and EJ DE87), but mostly use the EJ. I have only one brush and have settled on one blade (Astra SP). Use one WH and one ASB. I used to use only one soap until I found B&B. Now I rotate 4 soaps (one a week).

I can see the day when I retire the Slim, leaving only the EJ DE, but I doubt I will ever return to only one soap. I enjoy the variety. I don't have SSAD, so I won't be buying any more until I use up one of the ones I have now.

I tend to use a Fat Handle Tech about 95%+ of the time(with the occasion 40s SS). I use Astra SPs exclusively. I only own one Col Conk Boar Brush. I do however have 2-3 creams and 2 different brands of shave sticks. And I do have 4 aftershaves, 2 are just for winter and 2 for summer.

Jay

I use one brush mostly, as well as mostly one razor. I use a Fuller Butterscotch and Black restored with a TGN 24mm knot, mostly because I just can't afford to buy all the brushes I do want. =) That and it works wonders! The razor I use is the Merkur Progress, haven't found anything else that works near as well. Oh, and Feathers are THE blades, nothing else compares.

I did for most of the 45 years I have been shaving. I used a Gillette super adjustable and the Gillette spoilers. Face lathered with a nylon brush, and kept bath soap in a single soap bowl. Then I found B&B. Since then I have lost track of all the shaving apparatus I have purchased. Had I not started to run low on the DE blades I stocked up on decades ago I never would have found B&B and I'd still been a happy shave barbarian.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I love my Merkur HD, which is my first DE razor. My brush is the little one that came with my AOS shaving set, and I will replace it when it stops doing its job, but I just want one good brush. my AOS shaving cream ran out. I got one of those soap pucks that they have at every pharmacy, and a tube of CO Bigelow and they work great for me.

Basically, I am happy with what I have. I will participate in PIF giveaways, and maybe discover something I like more than what I currently use, but I'm happy with what I have now.

I did for most of the 45 years I have been shaving. I used a Gillette super adjustable and the Gillette spoilers. Face lathered with a nylon brush, and kept bath soap a single soap bowl. Then I found B&B. Since then I have lost track of all the shaving apparatus I have purchased. Had I not started to run low on the DE blades I stocked up on decades ago I never would have found B&B and I'd still been a happy shave barbarian.

proxy.php

Did you buy that superadjustable when it was new Turtle?, it looks to be in great shape.

Clayton

It's rare that I even use just one razor per shave :001_smile

If I'm not doing blade tests, for which I use two identical razors, I usually use razors with different levels of aggression for different passes.

Last edited:
Did you buy that superadjustable when it was new Turtle?, it looks to be in great shape.

Clayton

Actually I bought 3 of them (all new). Seemed like every time I moved I could not find my razor so went out and bought another one. Don't know why I didn't lose the brush and cup but it was always the razor that got packed somewhere strange and didn't re-appear for several months after I settled in to a new place.

Got one in 1970 (when I went to college and forgot to take my slim), 1980 (when I moved to Florida), and 1983 (when I moved where I am now). I still have the 1970 and 1983. I sold the 1980 on BST a while ago.

I remove the blade after every shave and keep the razor cleaned using a toothbrush about once a month. I guess this could be a good advert for removing your blades and taking care of your razors. The super adjustable in the photo is 42 years old and just as nice as it was the day I bought it new.

Pic of the 2 I still have showing the 2 handle styles and the metal and plastic blade adjusting plate.

proxy.php

One razor (EJ89L) and one brush (Semogue 1250), although I have another brush, I don't like it very much. I've never tried another DE razor, but I'm happy enough that I'm not looking for another one.

I might settle on just one blade after I finish my sampler (right now, Astra SP would be the most likely choice)

I use a few different soaps and aftershaves though.

One Razor (Merkur HD)
One Brush (PC Woodcraft and Pens)

Currently I use Feather for my everyday blade. I was working my way through a sampler but after Feather nothing else seemed to be any good

Soap (My current favorite is Tabac)

I have found that my technique has improved if I stick to the same equipment.

Top Bottom