What's new

Anyone use horse hair brushes exclusively?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have the Vie-Long wood-metal one, it's a very good brush. Didn't stink, never tangles, not scritchy.

Ultimately I like the brush more than the knot, I think. Just middle of the road, a bit floppy. I coated the wood with spar varnish, so it's snazzier.

AA

I use a Vie-Long horse hair brush in regular rotation with my boars. The badger get only occasional use.
Never had any smell from horse hair, and never had any knots in it. It was quick to break in and to me is between a boar and a badger for feel.

It only needs a brief soak and is soft. Works as well on creams as well as on hard soaps.

For several years straight I only used a horse hair brush. (This ended this Spring when I joined B&B LOL.) I will always have one in my rotation, as I do now.

I don't understand the complaints about the smell. When new, they do have a smell that dissipates after a couple of uses or cleanings. Nothing worse than a new badger or boar brush would have.

Additionally, I have never combed my horse hair brush. I have kind of straightened it and opened it up, so it would dry better - but never combed it. This would take me less than 2 seconds to do.

For several years straight I only used a horse hair brush. (This ended this Spring when I joined B&B LOL.) I will always have one in my rotation, as I do now.

I don't understand the complaints about the smell. When new, they do have a smell that dissipates after a couple of uses or cleanings. Nothing worse than a new badger or boar brush would have.

Additionally, I have never combed my horse hair brush. I have kind of straightened it and opened it up, so it would dry better - but never combed it. This would take me less than 2 seconds to do.

Oh yes, Badger & Blade is well known for this (In a good way) I have 5 Horse brushes now with reading reviews yes guilty as I do own the Zenith Horse Hair as Jim knows Chan Eil Whiskers.

The smell is a about the same as the Badger & Boars when it's said its a natural hair not fake, Yes it goes away after a few washes as the rest do so no its not a problem at all.

But I am guilty of combing my brush knots after use, one it helps the boars split and keeps them all tangle-free so why not look after your brushes. The moto is look after them and they look after you. I also wash the knot out to keep the soap scum out of the knot, as it stops it from rotting from the base hence why knots start shedding all of a sudden and then people complain they got a duff brush. Its how you look after them to last years not one or 2.

Would I buy more Oh yes without a doubt.

Aren’t these brushes full of anthrax?

I should hope not or I'm one of the mad ones :001_tt2: :001_tt2: :001_tt2: (Don't answer that) No they are tested to make sure but you no longer hear of anthrax nowdays.

Top Bottom