What's new

Anyone use cigar holders?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
How quickly did it start coloring up for ya?
Mark:
Depends on how many cigars you smoke. Mine started to develop a 'patina' in stages from white, then blushes pink (2-3 months), turns tan, and deepens into shades of brown (approx 6 months), or a rich golden honey color. :thumbsup:

Cigar.jpg
“A cigar [holder]—it’s not so much a [passion] as the crown and hallmark of pleasure”. Count Leo Tolstoy

Mark:
Depends on how many cigars you smoke. Mine started to develop a 'patina' in stages from white, then blushes pink (2-3 months), turns tan, and deepens into shades of brown (approx 6 months), or a rich golden honey color. :thumbsup:

View attachment 849848 “A cigar [holder]—it’s not so much a [passion] as the crown and hallmark of pleasure”. Count Leo Tolstoy
Cool. I've got some meerschaum pipes but didn't know if they would color at a different rate with cigar. Gonna find out. They are supposed to be delivered today :)

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Got the set today! Looks great! Can't wait to try them out :thumbup:

View attachment 849882

View attachment 849885

View attachment 849886

Heads up for anyone looking at buying from the meerschaum marketplace. Checkout their ebay account. They offer free shipping and the "make an offer" button is very handy :thumbup1:
Mark:
Awesome set...what ranges of ring gauge are your holders
proxy.php

Most of the time I smoke Corona ring gauge (40-42), cigars, so I purchase Holders that are sized X-Small (16mm),...the fit will be tight enough to hold your cigar in the holder without it falling out...trust me...I know.
proxy.php

proxy.php
“To Smoke is Human; To Smoke Cigars [with a holder] is Divine”. Anonymous

Last edited:
Mark:
Awesome set...what ranges of ring gauge are your holders
proxy.php

Most of the time I smoke Corona ring gauge (40-42), cigars, so I purchase Holders that are sized X-Small (16mm),...the fit will be tight enough to hold your cigar in the holder without it falling out...trust me...I know.
proxy.php

proxy.php
“To Smoke is Human; To Smoke Cigars [with a holder] is Divine”. Anonymous

This set goes from 40-60 ring gauge sizes. Here are the millimeter sizes 16mm.-18mm.-20mm.-22mm.-24mm. :thumbup:. I expect to use the 50 ring gauge size the most. I mostly smoke toro and robusto sizes. But sometimes I have others too. :)

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
This set goes from 40-60 ring gauge sizes. Here are the millimeter sizes 16mm.-18mm.-20mm.-22mm.-24mm. :thumbup:. I expect to use the 50 ring gauge size the most. I mostly smoke toro and robusto sizes. But sometimes I have others too. :)
Mark:
Thanx for your update, support and for sharing! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“The cigar [holder] is the perfect complement to an elegant lifestyle”. French Author George Sands

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

Mark:
Thanx for your update, support and for sharing! :thumbsup:
Mark:
proxy.php
Oh, before I forget...can you take some pics of your holders as they go through the stages
to 'patina'
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A cigar [holder] is as good as [the] memories that you have when you smoked [through] it". Raul Julia

Mark:
proxy.php
Oh, before I forget...can you take some pics of your holders as they go through the stages
to 'patina'
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A cigar [holder] is as good as [the] memories that you have when you smoked [through] it". Raul Julia

Definately :thumbup:. I don't smoke cigars nearly as much as pipes so it may take a bit to notice a change.

I wasn't around when this thread first happened and I am super interested in these. They looks like something I could happily waste money on. What are the benefits? What are the results? More info, please!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I like the flavor I get from the wrapper on my tongue and lips. So I never thought of using them.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I wasn't around when this thread first happened and I am super interested in these. They looks like something I could happily waste money on. What are the benefits? What are the results? More info, please!
Jared:
I would say I use a holder approx 30% of the time because;

a) It frees-up my hands while on the Computer/Laptop (or reading etc...).
b) There's no 'direct' physical (mouth), contact with the cigar (the minus side for me because I do love the taste and flavor of the wrapper).
c) Of the 'cooler' smoke when using Meerschaum.
d) Meerschaum will develop (in time), a dark golden honey 'patina' color.

proxy.php
“The cigar [holder] is the perfect complement to an elegant lifestyle”. French Author George Sands

Last edited:
@Ponycarman, did they every develop a patina?
Not on mine yet. There is some slight discoloration inside the holder at the back. I don't think they will color up like a meer pipe really. The tobacco isn't being burned as directly in contact as a pipe. If they do it will take very high amount of cigars.

They do seem to cool the smoke a bit kinda like a reverse calabash pipe but most of the difference is towards the last third of the cigar when the smoke temp goes up.

There may be a little flavor loss but not too bad. I don't really chew my cigars so I don't think I get a ton of flavor directly from the tobacco. Biggest benefits for me is the cooler smoke, ability to smoke it all the way down more easily, and if I'm on the mower they are easier to clinch and not get all drooly.

I'm not brave enough to use the meer holders on the mower though haha. Grabbed some briar ones from Mr. Brog that work better for the rougher situations. I have gotten better at clinching cigars as well though so it has somewhat cut down the holder use haha. Right now my cheapy cigars are really something I would smoke to a tiny nub either :lol:. Maybe a restock soon with some better cigars.

Just starting to get back to normal again after being under the weather. Hoping to get back to puffing and posting here more again. Going to be trimming some fat from my collection I believe and focusing on puffing what I have stocked and enjoying the pipes I've got.

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Not on mine yet. There is some slight discoloration inside the holder at the back. I don't think they will color up like a meer pipe really. The tobacco isn't being burned as directly in contact as a pipe. If they do it will take very high amount of cigars.

They do seem to cool the smoke a bit kinda like a reverse calabash pipe but most of the difference is towards the last third of the cigar when the smoke temp goes up.

There may be a little flavor loss but not too bad. I don't really chew my cigars so I don't think I get a ton of flavor directly from the tobacco. Biggest benefits for me is the cooler smoke, ability to smoke it all the way down more easily, and if I'm on the mower [or 'pitty-pating' around the yard/garden] they are easier to clinch [ahaaa...
proxy.php
] and not get all drooly.

I'm not brave enough to use the meer holders on the mower though haha. Grabbed some briar ones from Mr. Brog that work better for the rougher situations. I have gotten better at clinching cigars as well though so it has somewhat cut down the holder use haha. Right now my cheapy cigars are really something I would smoke to a tiny nub either :lol:. Maybe a restock soon with some better cigars.

Just starting to get back to normal again after being under the weather [hope you're feeling better
Get Well Image.jpg
]. Hoping to get back to puffing and posting here more again. Going to be trimming some fat from my collection I believe and focusing on puffing what I have stocked and enjoying the pipes I've got.
Mark:
plus-one-png.797576
...awesome post, very informative and thanx for your support and for sharing! :thumbsup:

Cigar Holder - 1.jpg
“[Smoking a cigar with a cigar holder is] like a bee hovering over a bloom [like] a butterfly pausing on a petal before taking the nectar”. Martin Booth

Top Bottom