What's new

Anyone use CaYuen Brushes?

They are very beautiful handles and most all have a narrow "waist" with the fleur de lis coin on bottom. I felt that the socket was a bit too deep for me, so I pulled out the knot and lifted it with coins. The handle also has a hollow area inside right under the socket so it's lightweight.

With most any artisan etsy brush, I would recommend you set the knot yourself to adjust the loft and splay to your preference. So you can buy just the handle, or put a note to not set it, or not use epoxy. Silicone is easier to remove. I'm replacing the timberwolf bulb knot on this one with a fan shaped cashmere I ordered from apshaveco.

Cayuen1.jpg
fr_3318_size1024.jpg
fr_3319_size1024.jpg

So I finally got home and got to see my CaYuen brush! Pictures are low-quality but here are my thoughts:

1. The shape (for me) is very comfortable: The "waist" where it narrows makes it really nice to hold.
2. My handle has a bit of a haze to it that doesn't seem as clear as the pictures on the site: It's a little thing but I was hoping for a bit more of a sheen. Very likely just variability handle to handle, but it isn't quite as "pretty" as I'd hoped.

3. The knot, for me, is set a bit deep and is a bit stiffer than I'd like. It's definitely soft, just a bit stiff. I'm not sure if I'm looking at it wrong, but it almost looks a bit crooked. I put it beside my Italian barber 24mm plissoft brush: Both brushes are actually 24mm but the IB brush definitely has more face coverage, probably because of depth of set.

Summary:
A very comfortable brush, but I would just get the handle and either set the knot yourself or maybe send it to someone whose knots you know.

Attachments

• 182440292_509526836853005_3992259276868747471_n.jpg
    182440292_509526836853005_3992259276868747471_n.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 180993319_956045311816181_459678512607289239_n.jpg
    180993319_956045311816181_459678512607289239_n.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 38

linty1

My wallet cries.
Looking back at your original photo, it looks pretty good? Was this a brush you selected from the page, or did you show him that photo (maybe a past design) and ask him to make it?

It kinda suckos that the knot isn't exactly to your liking, did you hear back from Rich in what adhesive is in it? It does look really nice

So I finally got home and got to see my CaYuen brush! Pictures are low-quality but here are my thoughts:

1. The shape (for me) is very comfortable: The "waist" where it narrows makes it really nice to hold.
2. My handle has a bit of a haze to it that doesn't seem as clear as the pictures on the site: It's a little thing but I was hoping for a bit more of a sheen. Very likely just variability handle to handle, but it isn't quite as "pretty" as I'd hoped.

3. The knot, for me, is set a bit deep and is a bit stiffer than I'd like. It's definitely soft, just a bit stiff. I'm not sure if I'm looking at it wrong, but it almost looks a bit crooked. I put it beside my Italian barber 24mm plissoft brush: Both brushes are actually 24mm but the IB brush definitely has more face coverage, probably because of depth of set.

Summary:
A very comfortable brush, but I would just get the handle and either set the knot yourself or maybe send it to someone whose knots you know.

After a few years of admiring artisan handles I just ordered my first handle from Derek at Wild West Brushworks, who is also on Etsy. I used a birthday thats coming up, and the past sucky year, to rationalize getting one of his handles. He has plenty of reviews, and I've messaged him with a few questions now and then, usually about knot sources, so I felt comfortable with ordering. He gives the option of setting a brush with a silicone sealant so the knot can be pulled if desired. Like you, I went with a synthetic, but a Cashmere in my case. My handle is a cream and butterscotchy amber that Derek named "Butterbeer", so a Cashmere should be an appropriate knot. If the haze on your handle is on the surface, you can probably polish it up.

linty1

My wallet cries.
My brush arrived, I posted the photos over in ther "what are you opening" thread but will re-post here:

4B9B0EB3-52E4-49D4-B9E5-F712D6A678D4.jpeg

205E6E7F-E3D0-496D-8C4B-DF209EAEE525.jpeg

DFE4CC8C-4CF0-4924-A773-8B653C6B7F26.jpeg

4943A8BA-4656-474F-B23D-28DE273FA22D.jpeg

After initial hand lather:
48DB62D5-BE78-4004-9341-4A505768E5DC.jpeg

Its a 26mm silvertip knot in a design based on the polo handles. Seems well made, I like how it feels in the hand, its not as heavy as I had imagined. The loft was communicated approx 55mm, upon receipt it was closer to 60mm. A little longer than I would have preferred, but it is what it is at this point. I like it!

Resurrecting this old thread - anyone recently use this company for handles and/or knots? What is the quality like vs AP Shave Co, Chisel and Hound, Elite etc... The prices seem to be very good for the handles but i am leary about the knots and the knot setting. Just doing some research here.

Resurrecting this old thread - anyone recently use this company for handles and/or knots? What is the quality like vs AP Shave Co, Chisel and Hound, Elite etc... The prices seem to be very good for the handles but i am leary about the knots and the knot setting. Just doing some research here.
He quoted in the list of artisans AP Shave Co works with (Supporting Artisans - https://apshaveco.com/pages/supporting-artisans) so at least some of his knots are from AP.

Reactions: cf1
Top Bottom