What's new

Anyone use CaYuen Brushes?

I'm looking to treat myself to a bit of a fancier brush. Up until now I've had a Razorock Plissoft Barber Handle and a cheap (but effective) Omega Boar. They work great but I'm looking to get something with a bit more flare. I've been looking around and came across Cayuen on Etsy. The brush handles look beautiful and seem good quality. Haven't found too much in the way of reviews online and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them (quality of handle material, knot setting, etc).

I can't remember if we're allowed to post links in here or not, but the shop is called "The Cayuen Workshop LLC" on Etsy. Here's a picture of one of their brushes I'm looking at.

Thanks for any help/reviews!

1616391143497.png

I've heard about this brush maker on Facebook group.
He seemed to make good quality brushes, some handles are really beautiful.
He makes custom handles and puts outsourced knots of your choice.

So, essentially, the handle is quality material, it's the knot that needs review.

Thanks for posting. Some good looking and new design brushes.
I always like places that offer fully finished and just the handle.

I use a 30mm synthetic one. It's a plissoft type knot. Ultra dense backbone, super soft tips. I cannot comment on the badger knots as I don't have any experience with them, as I chose a synthetic one this time. From the looks of it, the badger knots do appear decent, IMO.

Meet "Mini-Hulk":
IMG_20210309_200809.jpg

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I have been looking at Billy Goat Brushworks on Esty for something special for myself down the track.

Well, I pulled the trigger. Here's what will be making it's way to me over the next few weeks (except with a tuxedo-type knot):

1616518191855.png

Bloody well hope I like the thing, it cost a pretty penny. I'm used to spending $15-20 on brushes. I'm sure it's worth the money, I'm just sweating at my lifestyle-creep. Will update once I have it.

Well, I pulled the trigger. Here's what will be making it's way to me over the next few weeks (except with a tuxedo-type knot):

View attachment 1240741

Bloody well hope I like the thing, it cost a pretty penny. I'm used to spending $15-20 on brushes. I'm sure it's worth the money, I'm just sweating at my lifestyle-creep. Will update once I have it.
Nice. Can't go wrong with a tuxedo knot. I'm sure you will be happy with the brush, he makes awesome handles. 👍

linty1

My wallet cries.
@Hyde Did you receive your brush yet? I had a look and sent an email with a few questions. Let us/me know how it goes.

@Hyde Did you receive your brush yet? I had a look and sent an email with a few questions. Let us/me know how it goes.

Not quite yet, I’m in Canada so the border adds some extra time onto it.
I’ll make sure to put up my thoughts once I get it though! Any particular brush you’re looking at @linty1?

As far as I can see he makes nice handles never had one but remove the ridges and it resembles a brush guy same material they will be wonderful if you use deep bowls.

knots wise tooo much choice out there in all price brackets.
If you want affordable get a nice synthetic. Placing a knot can go wrong so ask him to do it if possible.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Not quite yet, I’m in Canada so the border adds some extra time onto it.
I’ll make sure to put up my thoughts once I get it though! Any particular brush you’re looking at @linty1?

Canadian here too, I know pain of shipping and waiting. It says he will do a "custom" brush? I emailed him (he also has a separate website it seems that has a bit more selection, but mirrors a little the etsy store) just to see if "custom" means your choice of knot or means he will turn your desired handle, but I'm excited to hear what you think. And that tuxedo knot how it feels, glue bumps etc. I was thinking that or the 2 band.

So of course the brush shows up when I go out of town for work for a couple weeks 🙄

But, it's there! Once I have it properly in hand I'll put up a description.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Rich Y (the Cayuen maker) wrote back a few weeks ago and said that he could do my shape and would "put it in the rotation" in a few weeks 🤷‍♂️ I think? I might get just the handle, the knots seem kinda pricey, compared to say what Maggard offers knot wise.

Top Bottom