What's new

Anyone use Bic cartridges?

I've had a Bic Flex5 Hybrid and carts waiting in the drawer for a couple of weeks, so I think I'll give it an extended trial starting tomorrow. If it's at least as good as the Flex 5 disposable, I'm going to be a very happy camper.

I've had a Bic Flex5 Hybrid and carts waiting in the drawer for a couple of weeks, so I think I'll give it an extended trial starting tomorrow. If it's at least as good as the Flex 5 disposable, I'm going to be a very happy camper.

Very interesting thread.

Can you please advise if the Flex 5 Hybrid handle accepts BIC Flex 3 and Flex 4 blade replacement cartridges ?

I joined BIC Shave Club after it opened for UK residents and was very happy with the original style handle supplied.

Now I need a another handle - alas the Shave Club no longer supply that model and the newer version is not compatible with BIC replacement carts other then their Mach 3 compatible blades as marketed by the Shave Club.

The Flex 5 Hybrid handle LOOKS very much like the earlier Shave Club version, however, appearances can be deceptive.

The Flex 5 Hybrid is only available here on import (Amazon and Ebay) so I'm a bit reluctant to buy a package only to find it is not compatible with my Flex 3 and Flex 4 carts.

I don't like the 5 blade cartridges with the trimmer blade, a bit of a menace, that's why I have given a bodyswereve to the second generation Shave Club handle/blade combination.

Any insights gratefully acknowledged.

Very interesting thread.

Can you please advise if the Flex 5 Hybrid handle accepts BIC Flex 3 and Flex 4 blade replacement cartridges ?

I joined BIC Shave Club after it opened for UK residents and was very happy with the original style handle supplied.

Now I need a another handle - alas the Shave Club no longer supply that model and the newer version is not compatible with BIC replacement carts other then their Mach 3 compatible blades as marketed by the Shave Club.

The Flex 5 Hybrid handle LOOKS very much like the earlier Shave Club version, however, appearances can be deceptive.

The Flex 5 Hybrid is only available here on import (Amazon and Ebay) so I'm a bit reluctant to buy a package only to find it is not compatible with my Flex 3 and Flex 4 carts.

I don't like the 5 blade cartridges with the trimmer blade, a bit of a menace, that's why I have given a bodyswereve to the second generation Shave Club handle/blade combination.

The King of Shaves retro handle will accept Bic Flex 4 carts. I don't believe the Flex 5 does. I can check this weekend or search for MJ's posts on the subject.

Thanks.

The Flex 5 disposables won't by the looks of it, however I've seen a review (on You Tube) of the Flex 5 Hybrid cartridge mounted on the King of Shaves Retro 4 handle, this (by reverse logic obviously) suggests the Flex 5 Hybrid handle should be compatible with Flex 4 (and Flex 3) cartridges.

Looking forward to you confirming or refuting this assumption.

I don’t have Flex 5 Hybrid but I do have Flex 5 Disposable and that definitely takes Flex 3 and Flex 4 heads and it’s the only one that comfortably takes the Flex 2 (which has different notches so locks up on the KoS handle).
It’s a really nice handle too...

I don’t have Flex 5 Hybrid but I do have Flex 5 Disposable and that definitely takes Flex 3 and Flex 4 heads and it’s the only one that comfortably takes the Flex 2 (which has different notches so locks up on the KoS handle).
It’s a really nice handle too...

Thanks - and for the You Tube response likewise.

I found Bic Flex 2 Hybrid at a 99cent store...you get a handle and 3 carts. Tried it this week: first shave was rough....burning sensation, i did press moderately to get an average shave (I only did the neck and top of head--rest was done with a DE). I had read BIC DE blades get sharper with use , so I thought this cart was going to improve for the second use. It was mere torture....and the quality of the shave was horrible. I guess you get what you pay..... I do use Gillette, Dorco and Personna 2 blade carts all of which I really like....this one was a waste of money...but it was just one buck..... Now that I remember....30+ years ago Bic throw aways were hideous..

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
@xiletero

In the past I too hated Bic's disposables, but had a shave with a 3 blade with the fixed head and liked it. Since then I've used the Flex2, 4 and 5 and like them all.

For British members, I can confirm the BIC Flex 5 deal (see link above) is available from stock in certain Boots - the link gives an option to check stock locally for immediate over the counter sale at £2.99 (half price offer).

Three "disposable" handles all with 5 bladed heads for £2.99 (half price offer) - and the heads can be removed for replacement with BIC 3 or 4 blade cartridges which are readily available in the UK - nice one !!!

Very interesting thread.

The Flex5 is the only Bic cartridge razor I've tried so far and can't really provide any insight, but it looks like others got to your question.

Thanks Doug.

As mentioned above (#90) Flex 5 disposable handles accept BIC Flex 3 and Flex 4 cartridges, so I'm confident that the Flex 5 Hybrid handle will too.

It looks like its the handle as supplied with the original version of the BIC Shave Club subscription, before the one way compatible Mach 3 variant.

I have a pack of the Hybrid on order, so can confirm or refute my logic in a week or so.

I'm thinking that once I work my way through the Flex5 carts I have, I may give the Flex2 a try. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of modern Bic offerings and getting stellar shaves from them. It's nice to have some good non-Gillette offerings to try out.

I can confirm (see posts #90 and #92) that the handle supplied with the BIC Flex 5 Hybrid is the same as the version that came with the original BIC Shave Club 3 blade subscription.......apart from the cosmetic brand name identification - see image below.
It is the most comfortable handle I have used - although I dislike the 5 blade trimmer cartridges (a menace at times) Flex 3 or Flex 4 heads can be substituted.
Unfortunately the Flex 5 Hybrid is not yet marketed in the UK, although the disposable model can be found in some of Boots stores (post #90) - although it has a modified connection, it will also accept Flex 3 and Flex 4 cartridges.
BIC handles.jpg
The Shave Club model is shown on the right.

I have used the Flex hybrid for about a week. Gives good shaves, but regrowth seems quicker than other blades I have used. I only do a WTG/ATG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't find the Flex 5 disposables in Boots.
It looks like I will have to order it. I probably have missed the promotion.

I can't find the Flex 5 disposables in Boots.
It looks like I will have to order it. I probably have missed the promotion.

Use the link I posted #87 - there is a "Find In Store" on the right under Add To Basket.

Yes, unfortunately the £2.99 deal is over, now back to £5.99, plus £1.50 Click & Collect if order is sent to your local Boots.

The Flex 5 Hybrid is on Amazon UK @ £7.99, however you need to add delivery unless you have a minimum £20 order - also on Ebay UK for £8.99, delivery included. A better handle in my opinion with same cartridges.

The consensus in Europe is that the classic BIC single blade or twin blade is the reference.
And what they did after (BIC flex, etc) is less good.

I've had very decent results from each of Flex 3, 4 and 5 heads - mounted on the original Shave Club handle.

Only earlier BICs I've used were the "Softwin" and its successor the "Comfort Twin" - both excellent disposables.

In the final analysis it's all down to personal preference.

Top Bottom