What's new

Anyone Use a Steep Angle When Shaving with a SE Razor?

I shaved this morning with a Gem Heavy Flat Top, or G-bar, razor that in the past has given me poor shaves. I have two G-bars, but for whatever reason, the first one I purchased always gave me irritation while the second replacement G-bar gave me good shaves. I attributed it to an imperfection on the edge of the top lid. However, common sense told me that should have nothing to do with the shaves as I don't press the cover against my face.

Still, I wondered. So this morning I shaved with the crinkled-edged G-bar using a fairly steep angle and got a stellar shave. This runs counter to everything I've read here, which advocates an angle that keeps the head fairly close to the face--a shallow angle.

Does anyone find a steeper angle works better for them when shaving with a SE?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Haven't tried it yet with a Gem blade but soon. I HAVE tried it with an AC blade, and it worked. You might check the Steep Angle Shaver's Alliance area for the write-up.

Basically, I tried it with a fresh Feather Pro in an ATT SE2. It was a desperation move to see if I could come to a workable accommodation with a razor that always gives me problems.

Short answer: it worked. No blood was spilled, which was wonderful in itself as I have hemorrhaged my way through a few shaves with that thing.

Longer answer: Steep-angle shaving puts more transverse stress on the edge and the blade tends to dull faster in my experience. Likely the edge is rolled. I could get three semi-decent WTG/XTG shaves with a blade, roughly $0.35 per shave. Shaving with a DE slant razor (ATT S2) I can get six pretty good shaves from an Astra SP at roughly $0.10 per shave. Not that the economics are controlling, but it's instructive to think about it.

In the end, the razor that I had to use steep angle shaving with is one that I'd like to get rid of anyway. I'm going to try it with Gem format to see if it addresses a different problem I have with some Gem razors: that they don't get close enough for me.

O.H.

I shaved this morning with a Gem Heavy Flat Top, or G-bar, razor that in the past has given me poor shaves. I have two G-bars, but for whatever reason, the first one I purchased always gave me irritation while the second replacement G-bar gave me good shaves. I attributed it to an imperfection on the edge of the top lid. However, common sense told me that should have nothing to do with the shaves as I don't press the cover against my face.

Still, I wondered. So this morning I shaved with the crinkled-edged G-bar using a fairly steep angle and got a stellar shave. This runs counter to everything I've read here, which advocates an angle that keeps the head fairly close to the face--a shallow angle.

I also have 2 of these. One is my favorite Gem. The other is extremely irritating. I can find no visible difference between them. I'll have to look at them more closely, especially since I made the mistake of putting them both in the same drawer and can't tell which is which at this point.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It's not recommended for decades to use a Steep approach with SE razors.
I would look into the mirror afterwards when done shaving with a steep angle approach with most SE razors and you will see your skin will have flaked because you are scrapping the whiskers off. (Don't use aftershave or balm while you beard has dried to exam results) When I use steep approach(scrapping) with DE razor sometimes My skin has taken a bit of a beating, it might be that I have not got my technique proper for Steep shaving but seeing is believing.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif E-R1924Instructions and Case (4).JPG
Have some great shaves!

It's not recommended for decades to use a Steep approach with SE razors.
I would look into the mirror afterwards when done shaving with a steep angle approach with most SE razors and you will see your skin will have flaked because you are scrapping the whiskers off. (Don't use aftershave or balm while you beard has dried to exam results) When I use steep approach(scrapping) with DE razor sometimes My skin has taken a bit of a beating, it might be that I have not got my technique proper for Steep shaving but seeing is believing.
What you're saying makes perfect sense if all you change is the angle. Going steep and changing nothing else is like scraping off your stubble.

In order to effectively shave steep, you have to make one more mod to your technique - you need to get the guard contributing to the shave. What?!? You need to apply a bit of pressure, just enough to cause to cause the guard to gently stretch the skin, but not so much that the blade digs in. Once you walk that tightrope ... magic.

Join us on the Steep Angle Shavers Alliance (SASA) thread.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I do every shave with my Bullet Tip using PTFE blades. Just like rudyt suggests.

In order to effectively shave steep, you have to make one more mod to your technique - you need to get the guard contributing to the shave. What?!? You need to apply a bit of pressure, just enough to cause to cause the guard to gently stretch the skin, but not so much that the blade digs in. Once you walk that tightrope ... magic.

Using my MMOC however, I rarely shave steep until the blade is beyond shave 5. Having as much blade exposure as that razor has, combined with an OC, that already fine balance of pressure applied just became a whole bunch finer. By shave 7 though, I'm using as much of that blade as I can and by shave 8 I'm not feeling the comb and shaving with considerably more pressure.

A fresh PTFE in the MMOC with a steep angle and weak technique, you may not need to worry about flaking skin, you'll peel skin.

I start blades in my MMOC with a very shallow angle, the red lines at the back of the cap. Slowly increasing to a steeper angle as the blade wears in. Shaves 4, 5 and 6 done mostly on the center flat of the cap.

MMOC_Fresh_Blade.jpg

By shave 6 I'm using the front most flat of the cap.

steep.jpg

The more the blade wears, the steeper the angle I use and the more pressure I apply. Its an easy and very effective shave with the Bullet Tip, but much more difficult and even more effective with the MMOC. 14 hour BBS with the Bullet Tip, but up to 19 hours BBS with the MMOC.

Slowly increasing to a steeper angle as the blade wears in. Shaves 4, 5 and 6 done mostly on the center flat of the cap.
Since you're a very methodical type of guy, have you ever tried flipping the blade every shave to see if it makes a difference?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Since you're a very methodical type of guy, have you ever tried flipping the blade every shave to see if it makes a difference?

I flip every blade before every shave. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not but it makes sense in my mind, fwiw haha.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have not yet mastered shaving with SE razors and find that a very shallow angle is best until I get a LOT more experience. :)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Let comfort and effectiveness be your guide. I doubt I could adopt steep as a plan for myself. In my mind it would be similar to trying to cut down a tree by hitting it with the side of an axe.

With my GEM Junior, and prior Gem Push-Button, steep was a absolute NO-NO! - They tore me up trying to go steep. Several of me DE razors love steep, and it makes easy work under the nose, but not with a GEM.

The Schick Injector prefers shallow, but can be used somewhat steep without tearing yourself up, but it isn't as comfortable.

With the OneBlade (I have the Hybrid), you can do it to a point, but eventually there's too much chin on the razor and the blade wouldn't touch your face, making it pointless.

I tried a steep angle with the open comb MicroMatic this morning and I was pleasantly surprised. It seemed to work very well. I did follow right behind with a shallow angle for cleanup but most of the work was done riding the comb, so to speak. I think @rudyt is on to something when he says to let the comb or bar do some of the work.

When I first started out with Micromatics, I was shaving steep by habit and could only get a good result with the Flying Wing, OC and CP were for me a no go. Now I use a low angle and the CP Peerless is my most favored Gem with the OC as a close second. Not going back to steep, been there with poor results.

A
I tried a steep angle with the open comb MicroMatic this morning and I was pleasantly surprised. It seemed to work very well. I did follow right behind with a shallow angle for cleanup but most of the work was done riding the comb, so to speak. I think @rudyt is on to something when he says to let the comb or bar do some of the work.

Y'all must be a bunch of first-time shavers.

After more than 62 years of shaving with a safety razor (just like my Dad did), I can tell you that you don't need to worry about any so-called "angle". What you need to do is to listen to the sound and feel of the razor blade, as it cuts.

The "angle" will take care of itself.

BMWLAW

A

Y'all must be a bunch of first-time shavers.

After more than 62 years of shaving with a safety razor (just like my Dad did), I can tell you that you don't need to worry about any so-called "angle". What you need to do is to listen to the sound and feel of the razor blade, as it cuts.

The "angle" will take care of itself.

BMWLAW
Sure, that works and will get you going. Even if you are having good results with a particular razor its always possible to improve. Razors with more blade exposure will have a range of angles where they will work. Yes, you get a different feedback over that range. Sometimes changing things up a bit can lead to a revelation.

The 1924 works best with a slightly steeper angle than the other GEM/ER razors, but I tend to think that the angle of your face (round, flat, puffy, sunken) has as much or more to do with shaving efficiency than razor angle.

Skin deforms, so it might be doable.

Sometimes my angle is a little steeper and the head isn't perfectly against my face. I notice this with any SE razor, including Bic's. Honestly I think this is due to the influence of the DE razor on my shaving technique.

You're better off learning to use a shallow angle, at least if you are new to this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom