What's new

Anyone use a Merkur long handle?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I recently picked one up for $20 in a NYC pharmacy (such a deal!). I hesitated for a while, thinking the longer handle would throw off what little technique I had acquired with my other DE's. Ultimately, my metastasizing RAD won out.

So far, I like it. The HD, slantbar (Satan's razor), and 1904 have similar handles, all a tad on the short side. The long handle (#23C) is a bit lighter than the HD, but the mechanical advantage seems to even things out, more or less. I don't have particularly large hands (I can still palm a basketball), but I feel slightly less cramped with the LH.

I don't see too much written about this razor, so I was wondering what others in here thought about it.

Do they make a HD LH, or at least a gold one? Would titanium be asking too much?:tongue_sm

ouch said:
I recently picked one up for $20 in a NYC pharmacy (such a deal!). I hesitated for a while, thinking the longer handle would throw off what little technique I had acquired with my other DE's. Ultimately, my metastasizing RAD won out.

So far, I like it. The HD, slantbar (Satan's razor), and 1904 have similar handles, all a tad on the short side. The long handle (#23C) is a bit lighter than the HD, but the mechanical advantage seems to even things out, more or less. I don't have particularly large hands (I can still palm a basketball), but I feel slightly less cramped with the LH.

I don't see too much written about this razor, so I was wondering what others in here thought about it.

Do they make a HD LH, or at least a gold one? Would titanium be asking too much?:tongue_sm
I have one and enjoy it. The only problem I have with it is that it is so light that I must either use Feathers or get less than the BBS standard of shave quality.
Go to the the DOVO web site and look at their catalog of Merkur razors. BTW, Dovo is the manufacturer of Merkur razors if you were unaware. You will see a wonderland of NICE DEs. Only problem, not all of them are marketed in the US. If you are interested in buying one of those not available here and willing to pay a premium for one, I can provide you with the name and email address of one of Dovo's corporate folks who may be willing to arrange the sale of one to you. But do be prepared to pay a real premium for shipping, import/export handling, etc.
They are not in the onesy twosy business and they would have to make arrangements through a German dealer to act as a broker for the sale. But, if you have the cash, they've got the flash!:001_smile

I have a long-handle classic and it's one of my favorites. In fact, if you check my SOTD for today, you'll see it.

It's the same head as the HD, I just prefer the longer handle. Like Ron, I get my best results with a Feather blade in it. I just popped a Merkur blade in it this morning that I'd already been using this week.

Jerry

I've got one I traded my HD for it, and definately like it much better. The classic I got for my birthday is my go to razor though.

I'm in the suburbs of NY.
Can you please tell us the location of the NYC pharmacy where you purchased the Merkur....would be interested in checking a Merkur out firsthand when I am in the city.

Suburbland-all we have out here are plastic disposables....
Thanks!

Top Bottom