What's new

Anyone use a cordless electric lawn mower?

I'm still waiting for all the lawn care "pros" who come around here at all hours with the big gas engines to go eco. Otherwise, my 28 YO Toro will roll on, as will the gas Stihl trimmer & blower. The price of converting is staggering compared to yearly plugs, filters & gas. Until those guys quit using gas power, or all of mine die at the same time, not in ..
Electrics aren't made for the pros who use their equipment 8+ hours a day. Youd need a fleet or batteries and chargers.
As for the cost, I don't know about all that. On Friday Im going to pick up a Ryobi walkbehind mower that runs on 2 18V batteries like what cordless power tools use. It will run for about 45 minutes on those 2 batteries, which is plenty for what I need and then I can use those same batteries in my leaf blower and trimmer.
When you consider the cost of gas, oil, spark plugs, air filters and the other maintenance factors of gas; not to mention if you forget to winterize it, youre looking at a big repair bill, gas doesn't look so cheap anymore.
Sure, you may have to replace the battery every 5 years but when you can use the same battery in all of your equipment, the cost isn't really all the expensive. Also, when you already have the same battery for your power tools and only need a couple batteries to run all of your lawn equipment and power tools, its actually pretty cheap.
Like I said, electric still isn't for pros who run their equipment all day, every day but for the homeowner who uses their gear once a week, theres really no reason to go with gas because the electric nowdays is so good and theres so much less maintenance with it.
I used to maintain my yard with a Honda push mower ($500), a Honda trimmer ($350) and an Echo leaf blower ($150). Id been doing it currently with a $60 reel mower but will be replacing it with a Ryobi push mower ($200), Ryobi leaf blower ($100) and a Ryobi trimmer ($80). Ive got probably $200 worth of batteries that Ive bought and even with the extra batteries, Im still money ahead of if I still used gas.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
If one were starting out fresh, maybe the battery stuff would make some economic sense. But the gas gear I've got that is running with minimal upkeep will likely outlast me, so in my situation electrics aren't economical.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Once my gas trimmer goes I’ll replace it with a battery. I have a battery blower already, and battery hedge trimmers. My two Poulan chain saws just gave up the ghost this summer so I’m looking in to a battery chainsaw. All that stuff I can get away with battery because I don’t use it often. But the mower....3 acres demands gas. Although, I will be getting a battery push mower too. I use a push mower for the ditch and areas around the house the mower can’t squeeze in to.

This is exactly what I use my electric mower for! Gas Zero turn for the 3+ acres I mow.

So I picked up the Kobalt 80V Max with a 6 Amp/hr battery.
Very performances chainsaw
proxy.php

Downsized our home pre-retirement last year. Much smaller yard. Use a reel mower. No gas, not batteries. BTW I used a reel mower decades ago on a much larger lawn. But I was young back then.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I just picked up a blower today that attaches to my electric Ryobi trimmer. Haven’t tried it out yet but the 475 CFM looks pretty high.

I bought one of these things this morning. I’m impressed by the power! I wasn’t expecting that. Seems decent although I’m going to have to get used to the sensitive throttle. I had a hard time finding the mid level speed.

4B59A159-0857-47AF-98A6-AC531042B51B.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have been using my electric cordless chain saw while cleaning up after Ida. While no where near the power of a gas saw, perfectly adequate for limbs up to 6 in. By the time the battery runs low, I need to take a break anyways.

Top Bottom