What's new

Anyone Up For a Chicago Meet Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merz is closed on Sundays, so I think the best bet would be to meet at Huettenbar around 2:30 on a Saturday afternoon, have a couple of beers, then head across the street to Merz (they close at 6). Afterwards, anyone who wanted to get together afterwards for an early dinner could do so.

That's an excellent idea, dependant upon how many wind up showing up and how many Huettenbar can take without notice.

I guess we could give them notice in advance that X number were going to show.

Is that the bar that is at the corner of Western and Leland?

One point of note, for me. I am supposed to have a month's notice to take time off work and I work every other weekend. So, that will make a difference on whether I can make it.

Is that the bar that is at the corner of Western and Leland?

One point of note, for me. I am supposed to have a month's notice to take time off work and I work every other weekend. So, that will make a difference on whether I can make it.

Huettenbar, is 25 feet across the street from Merz. We wouldn't want to give ourselves too much time for the beer to wear off before letting our ADs run rampant.:thumbup:

Also, a 2:30 meet would give anyone time to hit Truefitt and Hill in the morning. From there, it's a real easy 40 minute Brown Line trip up to Lincoln Square. The station is spitting distance from Merz/Huettenbar. Here's a couple of good reviews of the place:

http://www.lincolnsquare.org/chicago-Huettenbar.php

http://www.chibarproject.com/Reviews/Huettenbar/Huettenbar.htm

Huettenbar, is 25 feet across the street from Merz. We wouldn't want to give ourselves too much time for the beer to wear off before letting our ADs run rampant.:thumbup:

Also, a 2:30 meet would give anyone time to hit Truefitt and Hill in the morning. From there, it's a real easy 40 minute Brown Line trip up to Lincoln Square. The station is spitting distance from Merz/Huettenbar. Here's a couple of good reviews of the place:

http://www.lincolnsquare.org/chicago-Huettenbar.php

http://www.chibarproject.com/Reviews/Huettenbar/Huettenbar.htm

I guess I vaguely do remember a bar across the street. Excellent point, as far as not letting it wear off. :thumbup:

Is that really a forty minute trip? Didn't seem like it at the time. Oh well. Skklog will come together. We already spoke and if one of us can't make it, the other probably won't go. I might have to visit the hat shop, too. :sneaky2:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I guess I vaguely do remember a bar across the street. Excellent point, as far as not letting it wear off. :thumbup:

Is that really a forty minute trip? Didn't seem like it at the time. Oh well. Skklog will come together. We already spoke and if one of us can't make it, the other probably won't go. I might have to visit the hat shop, too. :sneaky2:

I need advance notice to attend as well, so someone else can sub travel for me.
I'm hoping that we can all agree that this ought to be a late spring kind of thing so the weather is a little better.

I was also planning another trip down to Hats Plus!
Brilliant minds think alike.

I need advance notice to attend as well, so someone else can sub travel for me.
I'm hoping that we can all agree that this ought to be a late spring kind of thing so the weather is a little better.

I was also planning another trip down to Hats Plus!
Brilliant minds think alike.

Late Spring sounds good to me.

Hats Plus is where I bought my Stetson in December. :thumbup1:

This sounds like fun, I think I could bend my "no downtown on the weekends" rule. I take the train downtown everyday for work, so I tend to hang closer to home on the weekends. Hopefully this will be on a weekend where I can get away. I am getting married in July so most of my weekends are spent making arrangements and such. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
someone said something about a bar, so I wasn't sure.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that though the Minimum Legal Drinking Age is 21, if the establishment serves food, your wife should be able to enter as long as she does not attempt to consume alcohol.

In any case, if you show up, and your wife is not able to enter, I (and anyone else who cares to come along) will refuse to enter and we can go somewhere else that will let us in.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that though the Minimum Legal Drinking Age is 21, if the establishment serves food, your wife should be able to enter as long as she does not attempt to consume alcohol.

In any case, if you show up, and your wife is not able to enter, I (and anyone else who cares to come along) will refuse to enter and we can go somewhere else that will let us in.

I know there was a restaurant on the opposite side of the road from Mertz. I don't know if that is the bar you were thinking of, but she would be allowed in there. We considered eating there but didn't.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I know there was a restaurant on the opposite side of the road from Mertz. I don't know if that is the bar you were thinking of, but she would be allowed in there. We considered eating there but didn't.

Ok, they don't serve any food because they don't have a kitchen there, so we may have to rethink this whole location thing.
Plenty to choose from there though, so not too big an issue.

Ok, they don't serve any food because they don't have a kitchen there, so we may have to rethink this whole location thing.
Plenty to choose from there though, so not too big an issue.

You gentlemen certainly know the area better than us Hoosiers, so what ever you recommend.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You gentlemen certainly know the area better than us Hoosiers, so what ever you recommend.

Might be better to wait a bit to nail down a place until we determine a quantity who will show anyway.
And a date will be necessary before people will commit to show.

Not sorry enough. :biggrin:

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom