What's new

Anyone try the Uno Shave Co. single blade?

As I mentioned last night, my UNO razor and 12 cartridges arrived yesterday. My first impressions and observations after a quick two-pass shave with hand-lathered Gillette Pure...
  • The handle is well-made and easy to grip.
  • The razor is light but not too light.
  • Loading the cartridge was a little fiddly. You need to keep track of the cap, because you'll need it when you remove the cartridge.
  • The shaving angle is different than with most cartridges. You don't put it flat against your face and shave; if you do, it won't cut anything. The colors on the cartridge show you where the blade edge is and the angle of the blade, which I thought was kind of neat. It's very much like finding the angle with a DE.
  • The blade seems suitably sharp and smooth, no roughness, dragging, or tugging noted.
  • The razor rinses quickly and easily; no clogging problems here.
It's definitely smoother than the Gillette Guard, which is the only other single-blade cartridge that I know of, and it definitely shaved closer, between CCS and DFS with no nicks, cuts, or irritation. I'd call that pretty good for a first shave with a new razor. I'll need a few more shaves before I really form an opinion one way or another, but I like it well enough so far.

The colors on the cartridge show you where the blade edge is and the angle of the blade,

can you snap a pic of this?

i think i see it here on right

proxy.php

Thanks for posting first experience, wonder if there is a learning curve so you find shaves get closer or if the system can’t shave any closer, my Sensor can give me a BBS, so can my Proglide.

Thanks for posting first experience, wonder if there is a learning curve so you find shaves get closer or if the system can’t shave any closer, my Sensor can give me a BBS, so can my Proglide.
I had a couple of spots that were BBS, so I’m fairly sure that’s on me, not the razor.

I'm now on my second cartridge and I'm still on the fence about this razor. On one hand, it's extremely comfortable to shave with and I barely feel it on my face. It feels great in my hand with a shorter handle than most cartridge razors. The first pass with the grain is great and is on par with the first pass I get from most other DE or cartridge razors. On the other hand, I struggle with shaving across or against the grain and I just can't seem to get a smooth finish to the shave. I'm not sure if this is me holding the razor at the wrong angle during these passes, which is quite possible, or if it just doesn't cut as closely as I'd like.

I'll continue to experiment with the UNO, but I'd love to hear from anyone else here who has tried this razor and see if I'm an outlier or if my experience is similar to others.

Thanks DougK for updating us on your experiences. Sounds like this isn’t the best razor you have used. How many shaves did you get from the first cartridge? Did you stop because the shave was less close, the razor was dragging?

I saw this a while ago and was intrigued. I absolutely love the Gillette Guard and I am currently really enjoying The Broman razor. I may give this a go.

Thanks DougK for updating us on your experiences. Sounds like this isn’t the best razor you have used. How many shaves did you get from the first cartridge? Did you stop because the shave was less close, the razor was dragging?
I got three shaves from the first cart and probably could've gotten at least one or two more, but I felt like I was going over areas too many times to remove the stubble. Otherwise, I didn't notice that the shave itself was much different from the first in terms of dragging. It just seemed less effective. It could be my technique or lack thereof with this razor.

EDIT: This isn't to say that I don't like this razor. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the best from it.

Three shaves with the cart is not encouraging, assume your getting more shaves with your usual cart(s). I am gonna hold off until I hear some encouraging reviews, Harry’s and Gillette offer much cheaper starter kits, to me $30 for something new is a bit steep unless it is getting a lot of great reviews.

I switched carts to see if it was the blade or me. Considering the first shave on the new cartridge felt exactly the same as the third shave on the old cart, I doubt that the blade was dull. If you don't hit the angle just right, it doesn't cut. It's not a bad razor, but I don't think I'll be ordering more cartridges.

If you need a single-blade razor to prevent ingrown hairs, though, this razor would be excellent for that purpose.

I smiled a bit, but i think i am tiring of that style of kickstarter sell. A bit exaggerated truth that leads to uno’s “proprietary” single blade cartridge.

Love the idea, the product is well made, and I applaud someone trying something different. However, it just wasn't the razor I'd hoped it would be. I didn't like the change to the normal cartridge shaving angle; it felt great WTG, but awkward in the XTG or ATG directions and I never really got consistent with the intended angle of use. I was never able to get to a true BBS, but DFS was achievable with some effort. Changing the cartridge was also much more finicky than it needed to be; why not just use the tried-and-true slide-on method of the Trac II?

If you're prone to ingrown hairs or have sensitive skin and don't want to shave with a DE or other single-blade razor, this might work well for you. For me, the UNO just didn't deliver the shaves I wanted.

Top Bottom