What's new

Anyone tried the Timor Razor?

I am thinking of buying this for my dad for Christmas. I got him a Ming Shi a couple of years ago which has suffered a mechanical fault (he has to use pliers to loosen the handle when he changes blades) and the Timor seems to be the new alternative. (He likes the TTO design a lot.) Given some of the cheaper new DE razors can have varying build quality I thought I'd check whether anyone had used the Timor and had any comments.

I believe on another thread, someone noted that these are a rebranded Weishi. You can find Weishi reviews in the review forum.

I believe on another thread, someone noted that these are a rebranded Weishi. You can find Weishi reviews in the review forum.

Looking at it, it looks identical to a Weishi to me as well.

Be aware, the Weishi is super mild. In my opinion, it is so mild that it is effectively useless.

I think you would be much better off buying him a super nice condition vintage Superspeed. :thumbup1:

I'm pretty sure Timors are rebranded Ming Shis, just like Weishi and the rest.

The Weishi, and the Ming Shi/Derby Razor/Shaving Factory razor really don't look that much alike; they are not the same razor:

Ming Shi:

proxy.php

Weishi:

proxy.php

The Weishi is a mild razor, I have the heavier Gun Metal version (9306-C) which works fantastically for me with feather blades and Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge 'yellows'.

My borother has a few of them including the Chrome Timor and yes it is identical.

If you do decide to get one watch out for the Aluminium one which has Weishi stamped on the silo doors it is ridiculously light stick to the chrome/gun metal and gold and gold&chrome models.

Alternatively you might want to consider a NOS Gillette SuperSpeed or Flare Tip Rocket.

Bought a Timor a month ago. Appears to be very similar to the Weishi. May be have slightly higher QC. Comes wrapped in tissue in a box. Like the way the Weishi is packaged better. Plastic case, mirror, brush, and blades. Very mild shavers. Good luck.

Just received a bright chrome timor tto from amazon as a travel razor. Very un-aggressive, tried my usual derbys and then a feather. Same results, after many passes just an disposable type results. Anyone know how to soup one up?

Just received a bright chrome timor tto from amazon as a travel razor. Very un-aggressive, tried my usual derbys and then a feather. Same results, after many passes just an disposable type results. Anyone know how to soup one up?

You could create more blade gap by placing shims (DE blades with the sharp edges removed) underneath the blade.

You could do that, but a Gillette Superspeed is so superior to a Timor/ Weishi in every way, I don't really think you should bother!!

I had a Weishi. I used it a couple of times, and decided it was so mild it was totally useless. I promptly sold it.

Last edited:
That looks exactly like the "Vincent" razor I bought off of ebay for $7 or $8 before Christmas.
I thought, for the price, it was good, but have not used it in a month or two. I should try it again now that I have more experience with other razors.

I believe they are either all the same or so close, it does not matter, just get the one with the best price-
Timors, Ming Shis, Weishi, Vincent, etc, etc

It seems every razor out there other than the main brands becomes labeled a Weishi. I do not own a Weishi, I have a Ming Shi and Timors so I cannot truly speak of the Weishi quality. From photos and threads it appears to me at least that there are several levels of the famed Weishi. Some better than others, some appearing to be stamped, light pieces, others a bit more solid. Yet they all seem to have Weishi on the butterfly doors if I am correct.

The Timor is a solid heavy piece in my case. Much better than the Ming Shi. Excellent qualty control and a Gillette double in my opinion. I believe their problem is that no one is realy sure who they are or from where they come. They also do not have Timor on them in my expierence at least. Of course I stand to be, and expect to be corrected in this whole post.

Can anyone tell me who makes the Weishi, who owns the brand and name. I cannot. This is true for the Timor. Unlike Merkur where we have a point of reference in their site and home office in Germany, there seems to be none for these two brands. None at least my research shows. Like a wide open, there to be copied piece of property or design. No official distributor or point of wholesale purchase like in the case of Merkur. This leads to the labeing of everything being a Timor/Weishi that does not have a name or brand on it.

Note to Timor, come out come out where ever you are. You are a good, mostly under rated piece.

Last edited:
Top Bottom