What's new

Anyone tried the new Thayers Shaving Cream?

Interested if any folks have tried this cream and if so, any thoughts on performance etc?

proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Never heard of it until now. Might do some research. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The cream is brushless. The aftershave lotion and balm are nice, though. I started a thread on the Thayers Gentlemen’s Collection line a month ago.

I like the ingredients list. It's not soap based, which means it should rinse clean and provide good hydration. It looks like lathering with a brush will be optional, similar to some other popular modern shaving creams.

The Australian site says on the description that can be used either brushless or with a shave brush. But all in all it seems good from the ingredients and the nice packaging.

All I know that the witch hazel was reformulated and diluted compared to the old version. It's pretty much trash, right now.

All I know that the witch hazel was reformulated and diluted compared to the old version. It's pretty much trash, right now.

I haven't bought any in a year. The last time I purchased it I bought 6 bottles and have two left. How was it changed?

I haven't bought any in a year. The last time I purchased it I bought 6 bottles and have two left. How was it changed?

I got two lavander from Amazon, while on clearance. The new (round) bottles are definitely not like the older stuff. It's VERY artificial feeling and smelling. Would squirt the stuff on my cotton pads after a shower and the stuff would feel like you were rubbing chemicals on your face.

It's been at least 10 years since I purchased the old version from Whole Foods before Amazon gobbled them up. I was using Dickenson's since it was cheaper.

I got two lavander from Amazon, while on clearance. The new (round) bottles are definitely not like the older stuff. It's VERY artificial feeling and smelling. Would squirt the stuff on my cotton pads after a shower and the stuff would feel like you were rubbing chemicals on your face.

It's been at least 10 years since I purchased the old version from Whole Foods before Amazon gobbled them up. I was using Dickenson's since it was cheaper.

I emailed Thayers and this is the reply I got:

Hi James - thank you for reaching out. While there has been no reformulation in our Facial Toners, you might see a new natural preservative listed on our newer labels that was not listed before. Phenoxyethanol has been part of our composition for many years, but there was a period of time that it was not listed on the label. We can assure you that despite a change to our labels the quality, safety and efficacy of our product remains unchanged. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Thankyou,
Thayers

I emailed Thayers and this is the reply I got:

Hi James - thank you for reaching out. While there has been no reformulation in our Facial Toners, you might see a new natural preservative listed on our newer labels that was not listed before. Phenoxyethanol has been part of our composition for many years, but there was a period of time that it was not listed on the label. We can assure you that despite a change to our labels the quality, safety and efficacy of our product remains unchanged. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Thankyou,
Thayers

So why does the current stuff suck so much, then?

I know this is an older thread, nevertheless I'd like to offer some observations from my recent experience with it.

I've used this cream twice now. The first time being so lackluster as to relegate the tube to the drawer. But I tried it a second time just last night. I've taken to squirting a dollop of my tube creams on top of a dying puck that I'm finishing, which I did with the Thayers. As with my first experience the lather was very disappointing looking (I know, I know, lather doesn't have to look good to be effective. But isn't great looking lather a part of wet shaving?). Even drawing on the puck soap really didn't contribute to the lather aspect, oddly enough. In the end, I have to say that the performance was much better than I was expecting, in fact I think I should admit that it was one of the better shaves than I've had in a long time. Even this morning, some 12 hours later my face is almost as smooth as it was last night. Certainly more so than I would expect, surprisingly so - my growth seems to be on a 36 hour cycle and I shave every other night. I used a Razorock .68P Game changer with a 3rd or 4th use 7o'clock green blade.

Reactions: edw
Top Bottom