What's new

Anyone tried Barrister & Mann Excelsior base?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If the samples are dried out it could affect it. For me, samples can be tricky to understand how much I’m loading and whether or not the soap is getting a fair shake. I’ve always found that the ability to load directly from a full puck to be the best way to get to know a soap. Second best way is to scoop an almond size chunk out and spread it into the bottom of a bowl.

Jim I would agree, Vespers produces abundant lather when used gently. My “heavy” comment was more to illustrate that it’s not going to be a deal breaker like Reserve. Excelsior is a very good soap base, one that will travel a long way with minimal loading. Do you plan to be a little less stingy when your full tub arrives? I’m someone who doesn’t go out of my way to over do it and try to waste lather at the end, but I appreciate a brush full of soap even after my third or fourth pass to then cover my face with.

I’ve also only used a synthetic for Vespers. Have you been getting these great results with your boars or just badgers?

John

Using the most minimal amount of Vespers I got tons of lather. When I used half that (sounds impossible) I got not quite enough lather.

Yeah, now that I have a full new tub of Vespers I'll load it more heavily, but, still, a lot less heavily than I usually do. Why waste it + too much soap mandates a huge amount of water to get the ratio right.

I use the same general method with all soaps, but also know they all have to be dialed in.

1-12-19.B&M.Vespers.Injun.Manchurian.640..JPG

I seem to be stuck with this Manchurian brush (above) and have been since I got it. However, tomorrow I'm going to switch it up and use a different brush.

Manchurian.640.4-18.JPG

I'll switch to this Manchurian (in the photo it was brand new).

Boars? I have 'em, but I'm in a badger only phase right now. It might end at any moment. Generally I alternate every day, but right now I'm stuck on Manchurian.

upload_2019-1-15_12-47-7.png

Happy shaves,

Jim

If I am using a sample from a standard 5 ml sample jar, I normally divide the sample in quarters and use one quarter per shave. If the sample is soft, you can smash the sample directly into your brush. If the sample is firm, it might work better to press the sample into a mug and lather from there.

If a soap has dried out, I would suggest blooming the soap by adding about 1Tablespoon of hot water on top of the soap and let the soap bloom for about 10 minutes. I do not bloom creams, croaps and soft soaps, but everything else gets about 2 minutes bloom time.

Shaved with Vespers again this morning. It truly is an elite soap. The quality that seems most improved over the Glissant or Reserve base to me is the slickness. When properly dialed in this might be the slickest soap I own.

It took a little practice to get it dialed in. I watched a Youtuber, “Ruds Shaves”, and his method of loading works best for me with all soap bases.

He blooms the puck for about a minute. After that time he pours out the water leaving maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons of water still on the puck. Then he starts loading for about 25-30 seconds. After that he paints the soap on the face and continues adding water slowly until he gets the soap where he wants it.

Using this method I’ve got extreme performance from all of Barristers soaps, they truly are outstanding

Can we all just agree to call it “Opsesspers?” :-D Seriously, though: this is a fantastic wintry scent, smells Christmassy in a way which doesn’t HAVE to be worn only on Christmas. Almost like a “nighttime” cologne. I plan on using this frequently. Also, how about that LATHER? Dipped my very large Omega boar four times, still kept taking water. Kinda reminds me of those little growing sponge-toys in the quarter-machine at the mall.

This one will definitely help the newest wet shavers, to get a good lather out of it.

So, this is not exactly a review, I just wanted to share something interesting after trying more than a year this base.

Equipment: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo Aqua Handle, Maggards Slant / Gillette Nacet #2

First of all, I read many comments about this base, about the lather, the problems that occured when hydrating it and about the post shave.

I started now with a wetter knot, not dripping wet, and started loading for about a little less than a minute, probably 40-50 seconds. It is easy to understand when you must stop loading, it is the moment you can see a dense cream start forming around the edges of the puck.

I have now a brush covered with dense paste at around 2/3 of the knot (probably I loaded too much just for the experiment).

Wet the face and just paint the soap, it is the same method Chris from the Above The Cut uses in his shaves. Then dunk the WHOLE knot inside a bowl full of water and paint the lather again. When pulling the brush out of the water keep it horizontal. By this way, water is trapped between the base of the knot and the goopy pasty cream that we have on the tips of the brush, starting dissolve it slowly.

I did this 6-7 times, and keep painting, dunking the WHOLE knot inside the bowl, and when I started seeing shine, I then swirled the brush by pressing it to splay. Then, the supernova was activated.

Tons of dense, creamy, high quality lather were flying around me covering the mirror in front of me. Then I dipped only the tips a couple of times inside the water, and keep face lathering. This beast could handle even more water. Impossible to break it down, or even make it bubbly.

First pass, the slant glided effortlessly and the Nacet destroyed the 6 days of growth like it was nothing.

During the second pass, I could not feel the blade inside the slant and the face felt some kind of bulletproof. I was keep shaving without any issue.

Final pass, ATG, I just added some more water to make it a bit runny and then the slant wouldn't grab me anywhere. The Nacet is really the sharpest and smoothest blade in my den. So easy BBS, the area under the nose is totally clean of stubble, a difficult spot for me.

Now, the post shave is top class, without any drying effect. I got past the Xanthan Gum, after adding tons of water and the result is a smooth irritation free face. Not even a nick.

Thanks for reading gents, I hope you didn't get bored.

Randy

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This one will definitely help the newest wet shavers, to get a good lather out of it.

So, this is not exactly a review, I just wanted to share something interesting after trying more than a year this base.

First of all, I read many comments about this base, about the lather, the problems that occured when hydrating it and about the post shave.

I started now with a wetter knot, not dripping wet, and started loading for about a little less than a minute, probably 40-50 seconds. It is easy to understand when you must stop loading, it is the moment you can see a dense cream start forming around the edges of the puck.

I have now a brush covered with dense paste at around 2/3 of the knot (probably I loaded too much just for the experiment).

Wet the face and just paint the soap, it is the same method Chris from the Above The Cut uses in his shaves. Then dunk the WHOLE knot inside a bowl full of water and paint the lather again. When pulling the brush out of the water keep it horizontal. By this way, water is trapped between the base of the knot and the goopy pasty cream that we have on the tips of the brush, starting dissolve it slowly.

I did this 6-7 times, and keep painting, dunking the WHOLE knot inside the bowl, and when I started seeing shine, I then swirled the brush by pressing it to splay. Then, the supernova was activated.

Tons of dense, creamy, high quality lather were flying around me covering the mirror in front of me. Then I dipped only the tips a couple of times inside the water, and keep face lathering. This beast could handle even more water. Impossible to break it down, or even make it bubbly.

First pass, the slant glided effortlessly and the Nacet destroyed the 6 days of growth like it was nothing.

During the second pass, I could not feel the blade inside the slant and the face felt some kind of bulletproof. I was keep shaving without any issue.

Final pass, ATG, I just added some more water to make it a bit runny and then the slant wouldn't grab me anywhere. The Nacet is really the sharpest and smoothest blade in my den. So easy BBS, the area under the nose is totally clean of stubble, a difficult spot for me.

Now, the post shave is top class, without any drying effect. I got past the Xanthan Gum, after adding tons of water and the result is a smooth irritation free face. Not even a nick.

Randy
Fascinating method. Nice post!

Randy

This method might work with the 24mm Tuxedo knot you used, but with knots that hold a lot of water, I would not recommend dunking the entire knot in water. Doing so would add entirely too much water to the lather.

This method might work with the 24mm Tuxedo knot you used, but with knots that hold a lot of water, I would not recommend dunking the entire knot in water. Doing so would add entirely too much water to the lather.
The Tuxedo holds already tons of water.

Top Bottom