What's new

Anyone tried a cream or gel with oatmeal?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
There is snake oil out there, but oatmeal, in and of itself, is not. It does have soothing properties, and some things like oatmeal soap and oatmeal soaking powders can help with skin conditions, and chicken pox. As to poor, my brother didn't bother with the store bought oatmeal soak, he just dumped the chicken poxxed kid into the bathtub with some good old Quaker Oats. But it does work, poor little guy looked like a lump of porridge, but felt much much better.

Where the snake oil, maybe, comes in, is how its used in products. Just because it is stuck in a handcream or facial wash doesn't mean it is doing anything, or there in enough of an amount. That is definitely snake oil territory. I think with shaving cream, it might the way aloe or other ingredients are added, but maybe not.

Either way, I hated Proraso white and was totally disappointed. I'm not a huge fan of green either, but found it much better.

Hi Desrgrl! Ya, I am reluctant to try the white right now. But the first Prorasso shave soap I got, was the RED one. I will be trying this out later today for my shave.

proxy.php

I do want to get the GREEN stuff as well, and do plan to buy that as part of my shaving supplies order next month.

Hi Desrgrl! Ya, I am reluctant to try the white right now. But the first Prorasso shave soap I got, was the RED one. I will be trying this out later today for my shave.

proxy.php

I do want to get the GREEN stuff as well, and do plan to buy that as part of my shaving supplies order next month.
I knew it existed, but I haven't tried it. It seems the drugstores don't carry it as often, usually just the green or white. I sooo don't want to get back into collecting again (*can hear the collective laughter of everyone reading this*). I tried out some of the soaps back then, but my technique/understanding was crap, and barely better now. It is the one part of shaving that I just don't have down (though slowlllly a bit better, and yes I've read/watched stuff, I just suck at it).

I used the basic Williams hard soap for awhile, and then a couple I don't remember. After there was a period where I tried some fancier stuff that I hated. Purple Urchin had a 'special' lumber jack soap in a tin, and it was brick red, and the dye was really strong...so, looking like I'd just committed suicide in the tub after doing my legs was an uncomfortable feeling for someone that tries to manage anxiety and depression. Like, crime scene looking. (Again, didn't help that technique sucked, so tended to get more lather in the tub than on my legs). Also, I often felt very itchy afterwards, especially after using it on my chin. The other one was Midnight & Two. I don't recall the name, but the shop didn't have too many options anyway. It had spearmint tones, and I like minty things well enough, but honest to gods, it smelled like Wrigley's spearmint gum, and it made me hungry every time I shaved with it. Also, still having trouble with lathering, whether it was me or the soap. It's was a small tin, and at the time I was trying to lather up into it, so that was a bad idea.

I dislike the cost of getting it wrong, and trying to work through it instead of chucking it. Then I tried some tube stuff by Dove (my first use of tube stuff, and it was pretty good), and now Proraso Green, and Cremo (much better than Dove). Sooooo... I'm squirting a tiny dab of the tube Cremo into my tub of Proraso, and it is the best combo yet, which has helped my hone technique better. I sort of do a start lather in bowl, finish lather on face. Straight up face lathering is a bit too much brush action and can be irritating. Since the Proraso is kind of low, I am planning on trying something new.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I knew it existed, but I haven't tried it. It seems the drugstores don't carry it as often, usually just the green or white. I sooo don't want to get back into collecting again (*can hear the collective laughter of everyone reading this*). I tried out some of the soaps back then, but my technique/understanding was crap, and barely better now. It is the one part of shaving that I just don't have down (though slowlllly a bit better, and yes I've read/watched stuff, I just suck at it).

I used the basic Williams hard soap for awhile, and then a couple I don't remember. After there was a period where I tried some fancier stuff that I hated. Purple Urchin had a 'special' lumber jack soap in a tin, and it was brick red, and the dye was really strong...so, looking like I'd just committed suicide in the tub after doing my legs was an uncomfortable feeling for someone that tries to manage anxiety and depression. Like, crime scene looking. (Again, didn't help that technique sucked, so tended to get more lather in the tub than on my legs). Also, I often felt very itchy afterwards, especially after using it on my chin. The other one was Midnight & Two. I don't recall the name, but the shop didn't have too many options anyway. It had spearmint tones, and I like minty things well enough, but honest to gods, it smelled like Wrigley's spearmint gum, and it made me hungry every time I shaved with it. Also, still having trouble with lathering, whether it was me or the soap. It's was a small tin, and at the time I was trying to lather up into it, so that was a bad idea.

I dislike the cost of getting it wrong, and trying to work through it instead of chucking it. Then I tried some tube stuff by Dove (my first use of tube stuff, and it was pretty good), and now Proraso Green, and Cremo (much better than Dove). Sooooo... I'm squirting a tiny dab of the tube Cremo into my tub of Proraso, and it is the best combo yet, which has helped my hone technique better. I sort of do a start lather in bowl, finish lather on face. Straight up face lathering is a bit too much brush action and can be irritating. Since the Proraso is kind of low, I am planning on trying something new.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me, its fun for me to do the same with you, because you gotta remember, I just started this journey. So I am going through soaps for the very first time in my life. When you start off at round one, there are many more rounds to go before one has experienced all there is to know about soaps, qualities, and their scents. BTW, I also like Minty things, I might enjoy the menthol cooling effect of a Minty soap.

A soap that I keep seeing in lots of people's pictures is Caties Bubbles, people seem to like it. And the name gets a chuckle out of me everytime I read it. Its one of those soaps that really makes you want to try it. So, I am going to have to pick up some of that at some point, to experience whatever it is, that other's like so much about it. I get a chuckle out of the name though. HEHE

I still got to upload todays official report on todays shave. But I will tell you quickly that, I used the Prorasso Sandlewood shave soap today and I loved it. Its a great scent, and makes me smell good. Added to that, I got to use my Captains Choice lather bowl for the first time, and wow, what a difference that makes. I can actually build a lather now, imagine that?

If you've ever tried to build a lather out of a hard soap shave puck container itself that it comes in, you will know the difficulties I faced, and the handicap I put myself through, with all previous shaves. Being able to actually whip up a lather properly in a lathering bowl, makes a huge difference to lather performance on the face and neck!

I can't wait to get the green Prorasso, gimme some of that Eucalyptus cooling menthol scents. HEHE

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me, its fun for me to do the same with you, because you gotta remember, I just started this journey. So I am going through soaps for the very first time in my life. When you start off at round one, there are many more rounds to go before one has experienced all there is to know about soaps, qualities, and their scents. BTW, I also like Minty things, I might enjoy the menthol cooling effect of a Minty soap.

A soap that I keep seeing in lots of people's pictures is Caties Bubbles, people seem to like it. And the name gets a chuckle out of me everytime I read it. Its one of those soaps that really makes you want to try it. So, I am going to have to pick up some of that at some point, to experience whatever it is, that other's like so much about it. I get a chuckle out of the name though. HEHE

I still got to upload todays official report on todays shave. But I will tell you quickly that, I used the Prorasso Sandlewood shave soap today and I loved it. Its a great scent, and makes me smell good. Added to that, I got to use my Captains Choice lather bowl for the first time, and wow, what a difference that makes. I can actually build a lather now, imagine that?

If you've ever tried to build a lather out of a hard soap shave puck container itself that it comes in, you will know the difficulties I faced, and the handicap I put myself through, with all previous shaves. Being able to actually whip up a lather properly in a lathering bowl, makes a huge difference to lather performance on the face and neck!

I can't wait to get the green Prorasso, gimme some of that Eucalyptus cooling menthol scents. HEHE
I have to be careful, I came here for some razor advice, because I need another one. I decided I should try a Gillette Slim, and kindly someone here actually offered to give me one. My soap is getting a bit low, and while I had a sampler pack of blades, it has run out, and I just have some feathers, and Gillette's from the drug store. I wasn't going to go shopping for blades, but buying them in the store is way more expensive, so I decided I should get another sampler pack. Then I decided I should get a next soap. Then I thought maybe one more small brush would be interesting (my Silver tip is pretty big, nice for large surfaces, but for chin, when I'm not in the shower, maybe something smaller that is easier to clean/dry). And then, if where I'm ordering from has a free shipping after $60, maybe I should throw in more soap. See? It creeps up on you. Oh, and I saw a slant razor, I always thought it would be neat to try, but they scare the heck out of me. They had a green one with embedded sparkles, and its a 'double slant' whatever that means... and I'm not sure but I might give in (I think I'll have to get someone to explain pros/cons of a single slant vs double slant)... but really, I have Parker C26, a vintage Gillette Super Speed Flare, and I will be getting a Gillette Slim. Unless the Slim really, really doesn't work out for me... I don't need a new razor (and yet, green with sparkles for a razor, who would have thunk!). I don't do well with bowls, and resisted. I can always go with a large coffee cup or Tupperware bowl or what not, and then buy something more specific if I feel I want to. If I get a Catie, I'll just probably reuse the container when it runs out.

As to soaps, as a woman I don't have to have all roses and oranges (though they can be nice), but with 'guy' scents I draw the line at 'lumberjack in pine forest drinking rum and smoking a cigar' smells...too over the top. My favourite are light herblas/citrus, or 'ocean' type scents 'fresh/salt/grass' kind of thing. Most florals are too strong. I like them, but I don't want to feel like I'm running through a lavender field or that I've fallen into a rose bush.

What I'm thinking of ordering is an Arko stick. They are super cheap, and I've never used stick soap before. I'm not sure of the smell, but its under five dollars, so not a problem if I pass it along to someone else. They had Saponificio on sale, $15 down from $25, and one with a nice scent, it comes in its own tin, and I've heard good things about it. And then I have to choose I think... there are two different scents for Sterling Soap Company. They use tallow, and I always wanted to try that. They have one aimed at women "Duchess", and I almost want to go with that, just to support the idea that we are out there, and will buy product. And the other is "Sheep". Duchess has beef tallow, and Sheep has mutton tallow. I don't think it makes a difference, but I'm not sure. I might ask on a thread before I make up my mind. Interestingly enough, the last one is .... Catie's Bubbles. I"m going to order from "Top of the Chain", and they have like every scent of Caties, I think. There is one called "Ocean Grove' that sort of hit my liking. Then have a neat thing they do, they fill the jar only half way, so that you already have room to use the brush. I really liked that. Some of my earlier technique problems were having a brand new soap in its own tub, and trying to get a lather and not get soap everywhere. I like the idea of room already in the container.

It is fun starting out, and its fun when you start finding out what works and that you like, and for me, just the aesthetics too... what you like the look of, or how you want things arranged. I gained a lot of knowledge from here, and reading blogs/articles. I was away for years, because after I gave away my collection, I just kept the two (well three, but I almost immediately broke my Merkur Bakelite) razors, soap, and my one brush, and well blades that I had already accumulated, and then buying as needed from stores, which is more expensive, most places it can get close to a buck a blade.

Good luck with the adventures. :)

I have tried Proraso White cream, and it caused an allergic reaction. Not sure which ingredient it was. I can use the blue, green and red ones though.

But that's just me. Plenty of people like it, and you can't really be sure if it works for you, unless you decide to try it. :001_smile

I did oatmeal baths when I got chickenpox for the second time a few years ago, and we've done it from time to time for one of my kids who has especially sensitive skin. My sister-in-law is a chemical engineer by trade and a soapmaker by hobby and she's given us some oat soaps over the years that were very gentle. I know she's made shave soap for my nephew... I bet she could whip something up. Interesting idea, OP.

Top Bottom