What's new

Anyone switched from EJ DE89 to Progress/Mergress? Thoughts?

Hi All,

I'm wondering if any have switched from the Edwin Jagger DE89 to a Merkur Progress/Mergress. I just did. I had the urge to experiment. I don't know why. I think my DE89 and Personna "lab" blades work really well for me. Smooth and close every time. I'm still dialing the Mergress in but I'm having the urge to go back to the DE89.

Any thoughts?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I also like the DE89, but I'm on my first week with the Mergress and I don't see myself going back. The Mergress is definitely capable of being more aggressive. I'm still experimenting with settings, but I'm getting more BBS with the Mergress.

I bounce a different razor and blade every day. So yea.. I go back to the DE89, and to the Vision, and to the Fat Boy, and to the Red tip, and to......

There is no reason a man should shave with the same razor day after day (unless he wants to)

I picked up the Merkur Progress XL (hey, Mantic uses it!), but I was never satisfied with the amount of adjustment req'd to get the blade aligned so the exposure was even. I rec'd a Barley Chrome as part of a B/S/T transaction and it convinced me to sell the Progress.

I did like the long handle, but I never bonded with the way it shaves. Plus I was forever adjusting the thing, looking for the Holy Grail setting instead of setting & forgetting. I still have the birth year Slim to satisfy my 2x a year need to use an adjustable, but for the other 363 days I use a fixed head razor

Last edited:
I picked up the Merkur Progress XL (hey, Mantic uses it!), but I was never satisfied with the amount of adjustment req'd to get the blade aligned so the exposure was even. I rec'd a Barley Chrome as part of a B/S/T transaction and it convinced me to sell the Progress.

I did like the long handle, but I never bonded with the way it shaves. Plus I was forever adjusting the thing, looking for the Holy Grail setting instead of setting & forgetting. I still have the birth year Slim to satisfy my 2x a year need to use an adjustable, but for the other 363 days I use a fixed head razor

Hah! That's just what I'm doing (looking for the "Holy Grail" setting). I'm not sure it won't be the '0' setting on my EJ DE89. Simplicity! I haven't given up on adjustables just yet though.

I also like the DE89, but I'm on my first week with the Mergress and I don't see myself going back. The Mergress is definitely capable of being more aggressive. I'm still experimenting with settings, but I'm getting more BBS with the Mergress.

I agree that the Mergress is definitely capable of being more aggressive. (I have the blood stains to prove it.)

I'm now liking my Mergress more and more as I get used to it and I'm finding the settings that work for me. I'm using one setting for 2 passes and then dial it down for the ATG pass. I'm getting BBS and maybe a little less irritation than my EJ DE89. Hmm.

Top Bottom