What's new

Anyone switch settings with each pass?

Hey guys going to start using my slim as my daily shaver. Anyone switch settings with each pass? Like more aggressive first pass then milder?

Your friendly neighborhood BambulanceMan

The fixed setting works best for me. If the stubble is longer than usual I use a more aggressive first pass and then back to the standard setting.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
What if you switch razors for every pass and they have different settings? Does that count?

I was experimenting as the number of shaves on the blade I was using was getting higher(past 10 shaves). I was starting out on 9 on my Slim for the first WTG pass and dialed it down to 5 or 6 for the ATG pass. I had been running it on 6 period and since that blade had hit 13 shaves and felt a little off I tossed it. Now I am back to 6 and not sure if I will do it in the future. I liked the idea of running it on 9 because it seemed like I was paying a little more attention to my technique. I would then turn it down because I don't think I could take an ATG pass on that high of a setting.

In theory changing settings on various passes might seem to have some benefit, but in the real world I find it's not worth the trouble.

Set it and leave it. For me, it's 5 on a Fat Boy, 6 on a Slim, and 6 on a Super Adjustable. YMMV of course.

For many years I would start at 5 and dial up for each pass. I would never go higher than 8 on my Slim and 7 on my neck.

I've got some great BBS shaves from a Slim (Wilkinson Sword Classic blade)... 1st @ 9, 2nd @9 and 3rd @4.

Progressive for me with my Mingshi 2000S Adjustable

Quick Shave
WTG - #4
ATG - #5
WTG - #6 (neck/jawline only)

Normal Shave
WTG - #4
XTG - #4.5
ATG - #5
WTG - #6 (neck / jawline only)

Night Out
WTG - #4
XTG - #4.5
ATG - #5
ATG - #5.5 (neck / jawline only)
WTG - #6 (neck / jawline only)

Everywhere above the jawline is always BBS
Neck / below the jawline is always a bit "sandpapery", but it looks ok, so I usually don't bother trying to get BBS down there unless I'm going out for the night

Top Bottom