What's new

Anyone still using Norton Waterstones?

Just like the thread title states. I'm wondering if there are users out there of the Norton Waterstones. I was always curious of trying them out.

I've used Naniwa Pro and the Gouken series. The Fuji and Hayabusa specifically and a 10K SS , Shapton 4-8-16k glass, King, Suehiro Cerax, Ouka and Rika.

I'm just wondering how the Norton compare to long time users and if the Norton series 1-4-8 is worth picking up. I've sold all the stones I've mentioned except the Suehiro but would let them go and get the Norton if they're worth it/ just for the nostalgic value. I love the Norton brand for some reason not based on superiority or even quality in some instances. Just the dang brand.

I still use my Nortons. I have the 1000 to set the bevel and the 4000/8000 combo. Also have an old spike hone I bought new from Don Walters years ago. Like the nortons , will probably replace them when need be.

yes, 250/1000 and 4000/8000. I think the Norton 1000 is too aggressive and will likely replace it with a chosera. I like the 4000/8000 and hope to use that combo stone many years

I had a 4k/8k at one point but sold it - yeah, soaking was just kind of a pia. Moved to a 1k King and a coti and that gets me where I need to go.

I have a 10 year old 4000/8000 that I still use. I just got a new coticule, but honestly, I haven't yet managed to make a shavable edge on the coticule yet. The Norton is just much easier. I hope to get the coticule working, because - well - I spent more money on it than can be justified for a paperweight. I don't think the norton 8k edge is anything amazing to brag about, but it takes the hair off, and isn't unpleasant in any way that I can tell.

I have a 10 year old 4000/8000 that I still use. I just got a new coticule, but honestly, I haven't yet managed to make a shavable edge on the coticule yet. The Norton is just much easier. I hope to get the coticule working, because - well - I spent more money on it than can be justified for a paperweight. I don't think the norton 8k edge is anything amazing to brag about, but it takes the hair off, and isn't unpleasant in any way that I can tell.
They always take time to learn but you'll get it and when you do you love it.

Yup, they work, and work well, especially the 8k. Which stone brand you use to bevel set makes no difference to the finished edge, even bevel setting on Arks, Carborundum, or India stone. It’s like saying your house is “better” because the framing carpenter used X brand framing hammer.

And if you are not shaving off the 8k edge, even less difference. As said you can go from 1k to 8k easily and finish on film, natural or paste for a good shaving edge.

I retired my Norton’s years ago for razors and switched to a $20 king 1K, (I do own most all the big name 1k stones)
but continued to use them for knives, chisels and plane blades finishing on 16k Shapton’s and paste.

Do different stones feel different, yes. Does it matter, no.

The other day I pulled my Norton 1k and 4/8 combo from the wall and honed a hand full of razors, finishing on a 10k Shehiro, they all shaved pristinely.

Top Bottom