What's new

Anyone still make something like this ????

Very doubtful, but some of the vintage ones may still work. I think most blades are so cheap that most people wouldn't go to the trouble of attempting to strop/hone them again. Also, most all of the manufactured blades now days have a coating on them that once removed would cause edge degradation(IMHO).

That being said at one time I owned a KrisKross stropper and it did ok on some older feather blades.

Mechanically there were mini whetstones on springs on each half of the clamshell. In the center were two mounting posts on a gear assembly operated by the string. You placed the blade over the posts, closed the clamshell and then pulled the string back and forth. The gears moves the posts in an circle/ellipse, thus creating a circular honing motion at the blade edges that were resting on the stones.

How effective was it? My dad swore by it ... for about two weeks. Then it sat untouched in the drawer unless he ran out of fresh blades.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My dad had one of the curved plastic/glass ones in the 1960s. His conclusion: It doesn’t work.

If DE blades can be honed at the factory, they can be rehoned, coatings notwithstanding. I suspect that in the devices with abrasives, the abrasives were too coarse, 8k was about the best they had back then except for pastes. In the devices with no abrasive, to quote my dad, ‘It doesn’t work’.

Last edited:
Top Bottom