What's new

Anyone still do cartridge shaving?

Yes,

The fun in the hobby for me is rotating through different types of razors ... from straights to carts.

The only significant advantage of the lube strip (IMO) is if you are going to shave without foam or soap.

A lot of shavers do Hybrid shaves using foam or soap or cream with different razors.

If you experiment you find what works best for you.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Personally, I chucked my Fusion when I started DE shaving - like Cortez burning his ships. No going back! Frankly, I haven't wanted to anyway. I know we like to joke about DE shaving money (or not), but for me it really does save me money. On hardware, anyway. :biggrin1:

Having said that, I'm sure that the improvement in my shaving is more due to learning proper prep and using a brush and quality software. If for some reason I had to go back to carts, I would definitely still want to keep the brush and soap.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I still have my Sensor with a bunch of carts. I go between taking it, a DE, or a shavette when I go on vacation. Cruises tend to see the Sensor chosen more often just because of space constraints, but I still take a brush and soap.

I've never used a cart or system razor. Started with DE and stayed there.

I will say that I did buy a cart razor about a year ago from a B&B member but I never got around to using it

proxy.php

I still regularly use a cartridge razor - at least once a fortnight - particularly at the gym (with a brushless lather) or when flying abroad (with a brush and soap stick). While I won't purchase any more when my remaining stock (25~ cartridges) is depleted, they deliver perfectly serviceable shaves.

Carts once a week on average, typically on the day when I get up later and don't have time for the full ritual because my wife is up too.
Sometimes on the road as well.

I also used one the other morning following an afternoon DE shave the day before. It seemed a waste to go DE when there was minimal growth and a quick cleanup was all that I needed.

I switched from an electric to a cartridge razor a few months ago. By my last trip in December, I was using cartridges with shaving cream and a brush. I took the electric razor on my trip. I have a light beard, and don't have to shave every day, so an electric gives me an adequate shave, though I've learned to like shaving with a razor better. I also don't care if I look scraggly on vacation, and I'm off my usual schedule running around doing vacation-y stuff, so I often skip shaving altogether.

I recently started using my first DE razor. I still have a few carts around. I can't see myself going back, and I haven't needed them, but they're there should the need arise. I'll be traveling again at the end of the month, and I think I'll take the electric with me again. It's easy to pack, no cream or brush to worry about, gives an adequate shave in a few seconds while on the go, which I might skip anyway, and there are no issues with TSA. For me, a razor with cream etc. is more trouble than it's worth while traveling.

Carts are great for travel. No need to check baggage, they're sold in most hotel lobbies, and it's no tragedy if they get lost, stolen or roughed up. They get the job done very quickly when you're on the run, and they last long enough that just one should get you through a trip. And you're always happy to be done with them when you get home.

The total population of earth as of today is around 7.3 billion, of which about half are men or 3.65 billion (since I suppose we're only talking about male shavers), and of those about 80% or 2.92 billion are of shaving age.

If we would agree that total regular shaves via a non cartridge razor, including a straight razor, or a non-cart single or multi blade razor (including a piece of obsidian, a hunting knife, electric razor, a real barber shave, a user-friendly blowtorch, an axe and/or depilatory powder or cream) accounts for no more than say 15% of total shaves (being generous) equaling 438,000,000 persons, and throw in another 15% or 438,000,000 more for ape men-type guys who never shave, (again being generous, but I've seen some in the subways), that equals combined 876,000,000 non-cart shavers and apemen, or about 30% of the total population of 2,920,000,000 potential shavers. This means a full 70% of the male shaving population, or 2,044,000,000 shavers are using a cartridge when they shave.

So I guess the answer to your question is yes.

Respectfully yours,

Hidell

But some men don't grow facial hair. Your numbers are off.

Point taken T, I'll have to factor that into the equation.

Also, for the record, I don't mean to disparage men with beards as uncivilized savages, i.e: guys like Billy Gibbons or that guy from the Oak Ridge Boys would fit into the apemen category. No offense meant.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone use a cartridge razor if they are in a hurry or if travelling such as flying?
Only when flying without checked bags but that's not very common for me.

Would using a brush/soap with a cartridge be a good idea though?
I'ts how I shaved before switching to a DE. As with "good" on any topic, it's subjective matter. Try and see how it works for you.

Yes, I still use a cartridge. After experimenting with a variety of razors, I've found that the best method for me to get a DFS/BBS shave is to do a beard reduction first with my Feather Popular (or other mild razor) and then a second pass with an Atra (I bought a mint Atra vintage metal handle on eBay.) I have limited experience with soaps/creams, but I still get good results with Barbasol.

I always got very good shaves with a Mach 3 and Fusion, with no irritation/cuts/burns, but the price of the cartridges is beyond insane. Since I'm retired, I don't need to have a perfectly shaved face every day, so I shave about every 3 days. For me, shaving is still a task to be done, not a pleasure...although getting a very smooth face without irritation and without spending a fortune IS a pleasure. What has been the most fun for me is buying stuff! :laugh:

Wife used my Quattro last night on her legs, so the answer is now "no." DE for now, while learning to use my Straight. And then it will be DEs only when I have managed to mess up the edge on my Straight.

I take my old fusion when I fly with only carry-on luggage. Otherwise I take my DE. I also have a few cans of gel by my cart shaving days. I always take those traveling because it's easier than packing the brush, soap and bowl. Eventually the cans will get used up and I'll contemplate options to travel with soap or cream.

Top Bottom