What's new

Anyone Sous Vide?

The real question, and i feel like i'm going against some sort of rule by asking, is has anyone here tried sous vide cooking yet? i've been sucked into a couple cooking channels, Guga foods, and sous vida everything and it seems like it may be an interesting tool.

Like any slow cooker. Lots of info out there too. Ask away! I do cocktails, roasts, meal prep for the week with chicken ... Made some awesome turkey thighs and turkey breast. Etc etc

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

I have had one for about a year and have no regrets, the great thing is that it’s not a bulky appliance so it’s easy to find a space in just about any kitchen for one. Using it has reintroduced me to some cuts of lean meat that I had sworn off because they were always dry and sometimes tasteless to me like pork loin roasts, thick pork chops and chicken breasts. Love it for steaks, beef roasts, and seafood as well. I bought a cheap one made by Instant Pot that on sale was about $60, but it works fine and while it doesn’t have WiFi or any of that fancy stuff I can’t see where I would ever use that anyway.

I don't have one but my son does and uses it frequently. My grandkids call what he cooks "water meat." My only complaint is that the steak tends to be a bit overcooked for my tastes (but it could be my son's cooking) and the chicken he makes with it doesn't have the flavor it has when he grills it. He marinates the chicken and pork chops the same way he does when he grills it but for some reason, it doesn't have the same taste.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My only complaint is that the steak tends to be a bit overcooked for my tastes (but it could be my son's cooking)

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure it's your son's cooking. I'm almost to the point that I won't do steaks any way but sous vide (and a good sear), and I absolutely do not abide an overcooked steak.

All my best steaks, roasts, chicken breasts, ribs and and and.... come out of my sous vide. I use the Anova, in a modified Rubbermaid cooler. Tonight for my mother’s birthday supper I served bone in leg of lamb and it was exceptionally good (according to my guests, but I agree). The timelines are a bit to wrap your head around, but it’s just so forgiving. Want to have another drink with snacks before dinner? No problem. The steaks are cooking for 1-3 hours, no rush. Sear the outside and serve. No resting required.

For those in who are curious- 131 degrees for 24 hours for the leg of lamb. Perfect medium.

So many responses, thanks! I found my way to the Sous Vide page that already existed, Sorry! Has anyone looked at the Joule application? downloadable on phones/tablets by one of the Sous Vide brands, and has a lot of "recipes" of how long to cook what. I don't recall seeing it in the other thread.

So many responses, thanks! I found my way to the Sous Vide page that already existed, Sorry! Has anyone looked at the Joule application? downloadable on phones/tablets by one of the Sous Vide brands, and has a lot of "recipes" of how long to cook what. I don't recall seeing it in the other thread.
Joule is nice. I'll take it into work when I know I need an extra circulator. It almost keeps up with the one we have from PolyScience. The Anovas that are around don't compare when it comes to heating water at least for higher temp cooks like parsnips at 194... Small profile. Can circulate up to ten gallons... Free access to chef step recipes.

Joule is nice. I'll take it into work when I know I need an extra circulator. It almost keeps up with the one we have from PolyScience. The Anovas that are around don't compare when it comes to heating water at least for higher temp cooks like parsnips at 194... Small profile. Can circulate up to ten gallons... Free access to chef step recipes.
Don’t compare in a good way or can’t keep up? I’ve been eyeing the anova

Don’t compare in a good way or can’t keep up? I’ve been eyeing the anova
Other chefs have Anovas they bring in. If you start with hot water you're fine. My hot tap water atbwork is around 125 depending on which sink you get it from. If you're sous vide g around that temp the Anovas are fine. If you need it hotter you are better off heating the water on the stove to where you need it. The Anova maintain well. They just take a while to heat up to 194 for my parsnips. The Joule may take 20 minutes to get a gallon that hot.

The jet on the Joule is better for sure. But once again, if you're only doing a roast you only need a gallon of water. I'll do large batches of pudding or pot du creme and they take up more space in the jars. I use a larger vessel and appreciate the more powerful jet so I know temp is consistent throughout

I swear by my Anova. Best steaks ever in my opinion and very easy... also extremely consistent! I've honestly never had one not turn out perfect.

I purchase USDA "Choice" steaks at Costco... Either NY's or Ribeye's.

Season well only with kosher salt and ground pepper, then vacuum seal each steak.

I set the Anova 132F and let the steaks go for 2 hours. This results in a perfect medium-rare.

Dry the steaks off well with a paper towel then quickly sear in a cast iron pan... just enough to crust the outside of the meat.

Cover in foil and rest for about 8 min with a bit of butter on top.

I was pretty active in the previous sous vide thread. I do not have much to add, except that I am still a fan of sous vide for steaks, but I have not ended up using it for much else. I did not love the way the chicken and salmon I did turned out. Using it for cocktail type ingredients seems intriguing. Poached eggs turned out well. I agree, it is a wonderful way to cook.

I've had one for a while and am still using it. As other people have said, perfect chicken every time. I don't use it for steaks so often though as I am usually too impatient to wait for a steak to cook!

Top Bottom