What's new

Anyone shave just one pass against the grain?

I’ve not tried it myself, but take a look at this thread, there’s been some that have had success with it!

Here's what I did this morning (a debut...)

This morning, I literally didn't need a shave - but I wanted to shave. A one pass atg shave with some minor touchups was all it needed to remove 16 hours worth of growth. A smooth and super efficient shave, even close enough for my job.

A (1) pass atg shave is not necessarily a shave I would strive for on a daily basis, but on days like today I would call it an option. 😀

I suppose it depends how long and thick your beard is when shaving. For my daily shave I need one pass WTG first. If the stubble is not close to the skin when going ATG, the blade either skips or drives into the skin.

I've tried it. I get irritation along the jaw line.

You do need an efficient blade gap. I have an ATT DE with two base plates, 0.40mm and 0.80mm, and I use the 0.80mm base plate. I normally use the 0.40 base plate.

I would not do this on a regular basis, but sometimes its fun to try different things.

I can do this and do do this. I don't have sensitive skin issues, and cross and against are comfortable and efficient.

But if your mind is screaming at you not to do this. Don't do this. Heed that instinctual warning.

If you watch a shaving video, say, and the gentleman moves his razor in a manner that gives you the heeby jeeby. Don't emulate that. Don't aspire to that. There's a comfortable way to make an even handsomer you. He's different than you.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’m not good at it, but it’s my preferred way of shaving.

One pass WTG is superior in that the urge to chase missed spots is much lower. I think only @KQY61 stops at literally one ATG pass.

There are people who successfully get DFS or closer, but I believe they use one pass plus touch ups or more than one pass.

The keys to success are to acknowledge the following criticisms:

1. You’re using too much pressure. Less will be gentler on your skin.
2. Your pre-shave routine isn’t doing enough to make your skin more supple nor your whiskers softer. Maybe do what you do, but longer or try something else.
3. You haven’t been studying what successful ATG-only shavers have been saying (FYI, I’m not one). Search function at B&B works just fine.
4. Some ways of using a light touch with increase razor edge contact with the skin. Work on avoiding them while acknowledging you’re still using too much pressure.

Wishing you irritation-free success

So @thombrogan is making a numbered list. I agree with him in all the particulars, but that is not important. We have crossed over into a weird area.

1. Preparation. The extra moment to encase the whisker in soapy oily hopefully smell goody goodness.

2. Light hand. The genius of the safety bar is providing a frame. Go lightly. Good man. I mean go boldy, generally, but maybe not when you are reducing your whiskers.

3. Just because, when we're enumerating. We need a three.

I have done it, but it tends to lead to more irritation. It doesn't save much time and doesn't save any shave soap.
My experience. I don't have a particularly "tough" beard, but I definitely get more nicks using a DE, trying a XTG only(tried twice). I'm sure I could with my Asylum RX, but the cost-risk-benefit ratio isn't there.

I tried this for a while and realized I much preferred setting my shave up by going WTG for the first pass. This, for me, set my face (and mind) up to do the ATG pass and give me an excellent shave. Then it's just a bit of buffing and Voila!

I did it once on my neck. I know, really weird. I had a six day growth. I used an ATT SE2 with a fresh feather professional blade. I used very short strokes. It took a long time. I ended up with an irritation free, extremely close shave. I remember talking about it in a post here on the board, probably in the SE forum. I have never been able to replicate that shave.

Top Bottom