What's new

Anyone shave exclusively with shave creams?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I mainly use soaps/croaps but I do dabble in creams. I really like Nivea Sensitive cream and I could happily use all the time. For me I have too many soaps to use up. I luckily do not suffer form SAD anymore.

I mainly use soaps/croaps but I do dabble in creams. I really like Nivea Sensitive cream and I could happily use all the time. For me I have too many soaps to use up. I luckily do not suffer form SAD anymore.
Nivea Sensitive gives damn slick lather. I approve it.

I find both the Nivea Original and Nivea Sensitive shave creams to be excellent products. Dirt cheap, found in just about any grocery store or drugstore, and high quality. A perfect combination.

Can you describe it a bit more? I’ve seen it mentioned consistently but never myself used it. How does it compare to others?

Funny thing is that I haven’t used another cream or soap in so long it’s hard to compare. The most recent one I’ve tried is AOS Sandalwood and Nancy Boy has way more slickness and cushion on my face. I’ve used GFT and Poraso as well in recent years but nothing compares to me. YMMV but I’ve found what seems like the best to me so I keep well stocked in Nancy Boy.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm actually on the opposite side: I exclusively use soaps. Hard or soft, pucks or sticks - but only soaps!!

I'm actually on the opposite side: I exclusively use soaps. Hard or soft, pucks or sticks - but only soaps!!
Hello Ambassador and congrats for the title! I agree. Only soaps, except for Proraso Ever Green, you will make an exception! Right?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hello Ambassador and congrats for the title! I agree. Only soaps, except for Proraso Ever Green, you will make an exception! Right?

Well, thank you. And yes, an exception for the "Ever-Green" seems mandatory. ;)

I use both but lean towards soaps. Easier to mess with the water ratio. Right now the only creams I use are Musgo Real and AoS Lavender. Working on finishing the AoS so soon it will just be Musgo left. When I travel Musgo is what I usually bring. It's what I used for my wedding shave, and was the first cream I got when I lived to DE shaving.

I prefer shave sticks to everything else but I do use pucks and creams once in awhile. I like TOBS Sandalwood and Proraso Single Blade Wood & Spice for creams. .

I have liked most every cream and soap. I find creams a little faster, especially face lathering. Some soaps are fast too. I have no idea how people rank performance of any of them though. I have had spectacular shaved with super cheap creams and mediocre shaves from super expensive soaps and creams only to have a great shave the next day. I think using plenty of product usually makes for a good shave no matter what. Too many other variables come into play for me to rank performance though. I usually fall in love with the scent and that’s my criteria. I also enjoy easy or quick to lather products so I have more creams. Tabac soap is my favorite soap but my favorite cream changes daily!

I alternate between one soap and one cream, plus a soap stick or a tube of cream for travel. Lately, I've been leaning toward cream.

For the past several months, my soap has been MdC. The stuff lasts forever! I'm guessing I have enough soap for another 6-12 months. It lathers nicely and tells me when I have the right amount of water. But to get lubrication I need pre-shave lotion. I use Gold Bond moisturizer.

For cream, I just finished a tub of T&H No. 10. Excellent performance. It matches UC at a 40%-or-so discount. I'm now using TOBS almond. Also excellent performance. No pre-shave lotion needed with either of these, and both lather more quickly than MdC.

My travel product is a Savonnerie de Moulin stick. Expensive for a small stick. But it also lasts. It lathers about the same as the MdC, and it lubricates more.

Can any of you all recommend a soap that lathers easily and lubricates without pre-shave lotion?

Probably one of THE best.. You will find out.. Slickness top notch quality.

The tub of Baume.Be arrived today and it's excellent. It builds into a thick lather, it's slick, it has a nice soft scent, and it leaves the skin feeling clean. Thanks to all those who have recommended it.

The tub of Baume.Be arrived today and it's excellent. It builds into a thick lather, it's slick, it has a nice soft scent, and it leaves the skin feeling clean. Thanks to all those who have recommended it.

Nice choice man. Expensive, but high quality cream.
You can try SJOL creams. Just excellent.

I alternate between one soap and one cream, plus a soap stick or a tube of cream for travel. Lately, I've been leaning toward cream.

For the past several months, my soap has been MdC. The stuff lasts forever! I'm guessing I have enough soap for another 6-12 months. It lathers nicely and tells me when I have the right amount of water. But to get lubrication I need pre-shave lotion. I use Gold Bond moisturizer.

For cream, I just finished a tub of T&H No. 10. Excellent performance. It matches UC at a 40%-or-so discount. I'm now using TOBS almond. Also excellent performance. No pre-shave lotion needed with either of these, and both lather more quickly than MdC.

My travel product is a Savonnerie de Moulin stick. Expensive for a small stick. But it also lasts. It lathers about the same as the MdC, and it lubricates more.

Can any of you all recommend a soap that lathers easily and lubricates without pre-shave lotion?
Tabac Soap.

Tabac Soap.

Thanks, Bhugo. I've used a Tabac stick, and it's excellent. I'll have to try it again. Do you find a difference between the soap in the stick and the soap in the tub?

BTW, this morning I shaved with MdC and no pre-shave lotion. As I had remembered, MdC isn't very lubricating. But, even though the blade was at the end of its life (8h shave with a Croma), the result was a really close and comfortable shave.

Does some friction help the cutting process? Can a soap or cream be too slick?

Thanks, Bhugo. I've used a Tabac stick, and it's excellent. I'll have to try it again. Do you find a difference between the soap in the stick and the soap in the tub?

BTW, this morning I shaved with MdC and no pre-shave lotion. As I had remembered, MdC isn't very lubricating. But, even though the blade was at the end of its life (8h shave with a Croma), the result was a really close and comfortable shave.

Does some friction help the cutting process? Can a soap or cream be too slick?

Slicker is always better!

I’d be willing to bet that if you load a lot more soap that you will get a slicker result with MdC. It’s a great soap. When guys spend a lot of money on a soap it’s common to see how little you can use to justify the cost, but I have found that using more product on the brush initially will give better results universally. Just load way more than you think you need and try it! You can always dial back on other shaves.

Hard water can hinder some products too, but if you use enough, you can usually get a great shave out of any product.

I think Tabac stick is the same as the hard soap. They make a cream, but I love the container for the soap and do not buy the cream. I never liked sticks in any flavor so I have no real experience with it other than what is said here. I much prefer the puck but that’s me. Tabac soap is very easy to get a great lather from in my opinion.

Have fun!

Top Bottom