What's new

Anyone shave exclusively with shave creams?

Over the years I have been using a balance of soaps and creams. I find generally the quality of the shave is better with a good quality cream...indeed I am thinking of moving in the direction of only using shave creams. In particular I have discovered Truefitt and Hill shave creams...a stellar product. I am wondering if there are others out there who only use shave creams...if so, what product do you use?

Over the years I have been using a balance of soaps and creams. I find generally the quality of the shave is better with a good quality cream...indeed I am thinking of moving in the direction of only using shave creams. In particular I have discovered Truefitt and Hill shave creams...a stellar product. I am wondering if there are others out there who only use shave creams...if so, what product do you use?
I've been rotating between soaps and creams, too; however, my "over the years" is actually only a couple of years. I'm having a great time discovering and trying both creams and soaps. I really like both Tobs and Stone Cottage creams, but I've enjoyed Wild West and Palmolive soaps. I'm not ready to commit!!

I have tried a couple of creams that don't lather. Although they've worked fine and were slick enough, I've discovered that I really like cream (and soaps) that lather.

I go with creams only. With T&H, TOBS, AoS, New York Shaving Co, and a few others thrown in from time to time, I'm all set.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
For many years I only used creams. I went through the usual suspects and ended up with Ultimate Comfort and Castle Forbes Lavender (occasionally Lime).

Now I use mostly MdC. The Castle Forbes Lavender is the only cream left - always have one in the den.

I prefer creams in a tube. The coaps in bowl doesn't seem to be as fresh as the product in a tube. With the size of my den there will not be any bowls bought in the future.
I plan on buying a good scuttle. Adding a little heat to any cream improves the development.
MM879

I prefer creams in a tube. The coaps in bowl doesn't seem to be as fresh as the product in a tube. With the size of my den there will not be any bowls bought in the future.
I plan on buying a good scuttle. Adding a little heat to any cream improves the development.
MM879

If it's in a tube, i've thrown the tube in a sink of hot water to warm up the cream while i shower. Mug with brush are in the water as well and then the water is used to rinse the razor during the shave.
dave

I’m using only creams. I found several I enjoy, T & H Utimate Comfort is at the top of my list, followed by Baum.Be, and Musgo Real. I’m looking forward to trying some GFT 1812.

If it's in a tube, i've thrown the tube in a sink of hot water to warm up the cream while i shower. Mug with brush are in the water as well and then the water is used to rinse the razor during the shave.
dave
Great idea; tube in the water. I have two identical bowls which I use as a double boiler. I heat one up in the microwave and pour some of the water into the other to preheat. I can get barber shop heat levels with this method. I don't do it often because it is too much work.
MM879

Like many of you, I will put some shaving cream in an OS mug and warm it in the sink while I shower. Nothing nicer than a warm lather. Also like many of you I am finding the quality and ease of lather from creams to be superior to soaps.

In my humble opinion a top class cream, cannot even reach the performance of a top class soap. BUT, surely there are many creams out there than outperform many mid range soaps. For example:

SJOL better than Razorock & Proraso

Baume. Be better than most non artisan soaps, BUT inferior to Saponificio Varesino & Barrister&Man soaps or Stirling.

With the good soaps you can play with the water ratio and get the type of lather you want. With creams it is more difficult to do that because they are very sensitive to water addition. Very little creams can stand a serious amount of water.

In the past I worked my way through tubs of TOBS (Natural) and GFT (Coconut). Both excellent creams. And Proraso in the tube is a fine product as well. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my T&H Ultimate Comfort and 1805 creams. The samples I tried of these two creams were excellent.

When I first started wet shaving, I had Williams mug soap and some creams. The creams were a lot easier to use than Williams and smelled better.

I agree with earlier posters that T&H makes a superb cream, as does Trumper.

Then, I started to explore a variety of soaps and learned what to look for in an excellent soap (ease of loading, slickness, cushion, and post shave feel). I also purchased a variety of brushes and learned how to select the right brush for a given soap. Once I learned how to make a great lather from a great soap using the right brush, I have little interest in creams.

When my tub of T&H is empty, I will probably purchase another. I might try Castle Forbes since I have heard many good things, but mu face is sensitive to lime oil, so the CF Lime that some many people love won't work for me.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Like many, I used creams more when I first started wet shaving because I found them so much more forgiving. I eventually moved to soaps and thought I would never look back. Soaps seem to be more plentiful, more advanced, more flexible (water to soap ratio, etc). But lately the pendulum has begun switching back the other way. I still use both and I’m sure I always will, but there are some really great creams out there that (for me) perform better than soaps people rave about.

I've come to prefer creams over soaps in the last few years. There are still a few soaps in my den, mostly sticks, I'll probably not replace them once gone.

I used to be cream only for years. Then...the new soap bases from WK, GD and B&M appeared. Bye, bye creams. The ease of use of these soaps rivals creams and the performance on alll dimensions, just blow them away. Only creams in my den are T&H 1805 and Wm Neumann & Co. Old Fashioned Soda. But...the news today that WhollyKaw is releasing creams soon has me VERY interested...

Top Bottom