What's new

Anyone revisiting old friends?

Well since we are social distancing and practically on lock down in Ohio, I decided to shake things up and pull out some of my old favorite razors and give them a spin again. Yesterday I used my Slim Adjustable and had a great DFS/BBS. Today I pulled out my EJ 89 with the same results. With my current collection, guess I can go almost 30 days and not repeat. I wonder if anyone else is shaking things up and giving their collection a spin for variety?

My collection of razors isn't large, so I alternate between my DEs pretty regularly. I have had a new Parker 87R that I've used for the past few shaves. If anything, it's been a while since I've used my SE GEM razors, and I have a new solid bar base plate for my Timeless Razor that I need to try (I ordered it with the open comb which is a bit much for my face and a multiple pass shave).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not really. I mainly stick with one razor, and will grab another razor occasionally, just on a whim. However, I don't stick with that other razor for very long at all, before reverting back to the main one.

Over the last few weeks, I've used my Merkur 34C HD about half a dozen times. I hadn't used it in years, but got the urge when I needed to test some new blades in a mild razor.

I had forgotten how good it shaves. Now, I'm thinking of putting it back into my regular rotation.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Interesting idea. I may defy death and dust off my R41.

That used to be my daily driver until, for some reason, I lost my touch with it. Not a bad idea to try again; after all, I've plenty of alum and styptic powder, as well as time on my hands.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Always doing that. Just yesterday I used a British Tech I hadn't shaved with for years. Fun stuff!

Funny, I've been going back to the future lately with the recently acquired Gamechanger .84 and Mamba .70 'special'. They are both super efficient, but may try a Gillette Slim or Goodwill tonight thanks to this thread...

Well since we are social distancing and practically on lock down in Ohio, I decided to shake things up and pull out some of my old favorite razors and give them a spin again. Yesterday I used my Slim Adjustable and had a great DFS/BBS. Today I pulled out my EJ 89 with the same results. With my current collection, guess I can go almost 30 days and not repeat. I wonder if anyone else is shaking things up and giving their collection a spin for variety?

Two excellent razors!! :a29: :a29:

The Slim is also a sentimental favorite as that is what I learned to shave with back in the 1960s!

So far in my journey to revisit old friends I have used the Slim, EJ89 (2x), Black Tip Super Speed, ‘48 Aristocrat. Great BBS/DFS out of each razor. As has been mentioned here before once you get your technique down you can get great shaves from any razor. So far that’s working for me with DE razors. Now I need to try my hand at my SE injectors soon to see if I can get those shaves locked down with no weepers and nicks. Isn’t it amazing how we can entertain ourselves!

Nothing to do with current situation for me.

When not trying to perfect my technique with a specific razor I vary every day.

br
godek

I still return to my Merkur 34C every now and then. For me, it is a little too slippery to hold when wet. Otherwise, you would have a hard time convincing me any other razor is necessary.

Most of my razors are old friends! Lately I’m using the razor that I really relearned to shave with. When I got back into DE shaving I bought several razors and rotated between them at short intervals. I realized that I wasn’t learning anything. I decided to stick with my plating-free NEW Short Comb for about a month. That gave my technique a huge bump.

After a recent purchase my Feather AS-D2 was relegated to the role of travel razor. I don’t travel much these days so it hasn’t seen much action lately. On account of the Corona virus we decided to leave the city and head for the hills. I took a very small shaving selection to our country house including my neglected Feather AS-D2 travel razor. I don’t think it will regain its spot as my favorite razor anytime soon but it’s a more than capable shaving machine and a joy to use. I will be quite happy using it until we are back to normal and I’m reunited with my full shave den.

Top Bottom