What's new

Anyone notice Proraso red drying on your face?

More often than not, by the time I get to the last bits of my face, the lather has begun drying into almost a paste consistency. I've spent the past week increasing how much water I leave in the brush when bowl lathering, and it hasn't really helped.

I only have that problem now & then when I don't add enough water. Most of the time it works fine. What brush are you using?

I only have that problem now & then when I don't add enough water. Most of the time it works fine. What brush are you using?
The one on my avatar there, an Omega boar bristle, $14 on the shelf. This morning I noticed it happened with Proraso green too, so I'm definitely doing something wrong.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Rather than dryness what I find missing in Proraso Red is a certain lack of slickness and cushion, especially if compared to the new Single Blade creams.

The best product in the Red line for me is the pre-shave, which I really like to combine with the Wood & Spice cream.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Try the-
Marco Method:

My (Marco) lathering technique with Italian soft soaps

Lately I’ve seen that some B&B members are having issues regarding “how to create a good lather” with Italian soft soaps. And I have personally received several PM’s regarding this subject, with many asking me what kind of lathering technique I actually use. Here is a simple tutorial for new wet shavers or for those who just are unable to get satisfying results with soft soaps.

1. Italian soft soaps like brushes with soft tips and great backbone. You can use a quality boar or badger brush of your choice with the above specs. I prefer boars, as in the old Italian barbershop tradition.

2. Run your brush under hot water (or simply soak it) for at least 30 seconds.

3. Turn your brush upside-down WITHOUT shaking it. Allow only the gravity water to fall down and move your brush carefully, since it has to be kept full of water.

4. Start making swirls on the surface of the soap. You have to proceed slowly, without pressure on the brush. Remember that it’s very wet.

5. Heavily load your brush for about 45/60 seconds making around 100/120 swirls. Please keep in mind that the loading time and number of swirls also depend on how big your brush is and how much water it can retain.

6. Move the brush onto your face and face lather. Again, be careful, you’ll have a LOT of lather to handle.

7. While face lathering add, slowly and progressively, a few drops of water per time to your brush. Or, alternatively, lightly wet the tips of the brush. I personally prefer to add drops of water to the brush because I have a better control of the soap/water ratio.

8. You bring the lather to the right consistency.

*** The main concept to always keep in mind is simple: a lot of water + a lot of swirls + a lot of soap = a lot of great, thick, slick and effective lather. ***

I learned this technique from an old Italian Master Barber with over 40 years of experience and I’ve been using it with great results for almost 16 years. -Marco

proraso red is great, both in soap and cream form.
never, never had any significant drying issue with either, at least with my water.

proraso sandalwood red omega friedellko floris santal janaury 28 2017.jpg
proraso red merkur antica barbieria colla fine american blend may 9 2015.jpg

I noticed that with the Prorasos (I have ALL of the Proraso colors, from their pre-shave creams, shave creams, croaps, canned goo (yellow), to their aftershaves and balms), the croaps tend to indeed dry quickly on the face it it's not lathered-up properly.

For me, only with their croaps, have I noticed that they take a bit more water AND... more "whipping" action in the shave bowl with the brush. A captain's choice bowl with the ridges on the bottom really helps! Getting the lather from its thick creamy-croapy consistency to a true whipped-up lather with peaks, makes all the difference in the world for Proraso. At least that's what I've discovered. If I don't whip up the lather enough, it tends to go dry quickly on my face.

YMMV.

I use Proraso Red regularly and the only time I've experienced drying of the lather on my face was early in my wet shaving days when i was inexperienced in the ways of water being added to the lather. In fact, my absolutely most amazingly slick and well hydrated lather was a combination of Razorock Santal Royale soap with Proraso Red cream. I have never been able to make such a slick lather before, even with other super lather combos like Stirling Barbershop with Art of Shaving Sandalwood. I don't know what made it so successful but when I was done building the lather it was voluminous, the consistency of yogurt and had a wonderful sheen to it. The razor simply glided across my face. Probably the best shave I've ever had.

No.

Used it today and I am a straight shaver, which means my passes take longer than with a safety razor.

B.

Quite the opposite.

Use it (the red cream) almost daily and I find it lubricates extremely well. All Prorasos creams do.

I've had the same issue in the past, which I attribute to poor lathering. Try to build the lather longer (something I wasn't doing) and sprinkling in a little water periodically as you build. I've only recently started to have better luck with this, which I completely owe to a better lather. Hope that helps.

Proraso creams are thirsty. With practice you will arrive at the right way to balance the water and cream.

I think when we switch creams often it's hard to remember the requirements of each individual brand.

With practice you will arrive at the right way to balance the water and cream.

+1 Exactly this. Don't give-up on Proraso.

Also, it depends on how long you take to shave and/or how many passes. Proraso can definitely dry on your face by the third pass, especially when you're taking your time. Don't be afraid to dip your brush in water a little so you can moisten your lather on your face (just a slight dip in water and then use paint strokes to work the water into your lather as it sits on your face).

I have issues with several soaps drying so I try adding water and working the soap after applying it. I have yet to develop a balance between too much water, which whips soap to crazy foam in its cup (and dripping off my face), to soap that is too thick and dry. This process will take a while. I think Marco has it right but it's still user beware.

Never had an issue with Proraso Red, used it this morning in fact. Not has slick as Stirling, but I find it works really well, and gives me a great shave.

Tomorrow it'll be warmer, so Green it is... Love the chilling affect after the shower.

Yep, tried it this morning. I remember the box said something about a new formula but didn't give it much of a thought. I added the usual water that I use with green and white but it had slickness issues and felt like it was drying out. Some razor burn and weepers to deal with, I normally never have this problem with astra blades.

I used the White the other day and was happy with the slickness and quantity of lather. I didn't notice any drying at all. That being said, yesterday I shaved using Haslinger Schafmilch Raiserseife. During my shave I was distracted so that my first load of lather sat on my face for quite a while before I was able to put razor to face. No drying at all. I have to say that I find this Haslinger to be the slickest soap, or cream for that matter, I have tried. I notice it while the razor glides across my face with each pass as well as when I rinse off after each pass. I need to use more water to rinse off all the soap than with other soaps or creams and can feel the slickness on my hands, sort of like when you are in an area with really soft water and your hands just feel wet all the time. And the post shave feel is amazing. Proraso is good and I don't experience the drying others have but Haslinger is my vote for the slickest soap or cream. I'm sure others may have a difference of opinion. And if the recommendation is something I have yet to try, then that's what I'll do. Try it out.

I think the culprit could be your face rather than the lather. I get dehydrated sometimes and my skin sucks every drop of moisture from my lather. Just something to consider.

I really like the Proraso creams, and was amazed that something so cheap performs so well. The Red and White both have a permanent spots in the bathroom - along with the Original Green Splash in the big 400ml bottle.

I find they are a richer cream than something like the TOBS - so even though they don't smell as nice, the performance is better.

But absolutely, if you are in a hot climate, and you take your time - the cream can get a bit of tack to it as the water evaporates.

I tend to add a splash more water into the bowl before the second pass, and have actually reduced the volume of cream I use, as it is quite concentrated (I realized I was wasting a lot). Having a wet face, and rinsing the razor frequently helps a lot. A slightly wet razor head, and this this cream will be so slick.

I like Musgo (actually I love the Musgo creams) - but I need nearly double the amount that I would use for the Proraso.

Top Bottom