What's new

Anyone NOT like Sandalwood?

There is such a wide range of interpretations of the sandalwood scent available that answering your rather general question is near impossible.

Some sandalwood products are quite nice and some are almost offensive.
Regarding Proraso, it was such a long time that I used any of their products that I almost forgot how artificial I found
their scents.
But I do find the D.R. Harris sandalwood shaving soap, eau de Cologne and aftershave scent quite pleasant.

Having said that; I can’t imagine that many will agree with your statement that 75% of shaving products have a sandalwood scent.
Far from it....

Besides, wouldn’t it be awful if we all were to like the same scents?

B.

I'm not a fan of sandalwood. I'm certain that at least one of my soaps has it in there.
It's not bad when it's not the main scent (or even the 2nd or 3rd or 5th), but pure sandalwood? No thank you.

As Zhang so aptly put it. I like the smell of sandalwood. I do not like to smell like sandalwood.

I don't care for it as a protagonist scent. I had a NOS AoS sandalwood soap and sold it. TOBS sandalwood smells nothing like it. Proraso red is fine to me

However, I have many citrus / fougere perfumes with sandalwood note in the base and they are wonderful (eg: AdP Colonia and several Penhaligon's EdTs)

That makes a lot of sense. I have found several scents that have sandalwood in there "somewhere" so I feel like I should like it, but when I try a produce that is just a pure sandalwood note....I find it off putting. I have never thought about it as you described....that does make a lot of sense to me.

I am finding I learn more toward citrusy fresh notes as much as I want to like the musky "masculine" scents.

Some I like a lot and others not so much. My favorites are the old AoS Tallow soap and Edwin Jagger cream (never tried the soap).

As a boy, my family received a beautiful fan made of wood whose scent disagreed with me - almost physically. I suspect the fan was made of sandalwood, but I am not sure. The only sandalwood soap I have ever smelled is Edwin Jagger's triple milled about which I was just neutral. So to cut to the chase, I do not plan to buy any sandalwood soap unless I can smell it before putting my money on the counter.

My experience with it is from Proraso Red. Didn't like the scent at first but it grew on me. That rarely happens.The red gave me great shaves and now I rate the scent equally as good as the shave.

I’ve tried sandalwood scented shaving soaps and creams from a variety of manufacturers but just never connected with it for some reason.

I'm somewhat reluctant to post this, given comments so far! I love TOBS sandalwood, even if it isn't "real" sandalwood. Don't shoot me.

I'm somewhat reluctant to post this, given comments so far! I love TOBS sandalwood, even if it isn't "real" sandalwood. Don't shoot me.
No problem! It’s ok to like what you like. Think how boring life would be if we all liked and did the same thing.

Am I the only guy on earth that doesn’t care for the smell of sandalwood? I keep trying it. Just got new jar of TOBS sandalwood because I figure it has to be great, it’s so popular. Took one whiff....nope. Every thing I’ve ever smelled with sandalwood I’ve just not cared for.

Is it just me? Seems like 75% of the shaving products on the market are this scent. I got some Proraso red Preshave cream and had the same reaction.
I dislike sandalwood in a shave cream. It really disagrees with me. I have tried Proraso, TOBS and AOS.

It's alright in my opinion. Everyone has their own interpretation of it, just like with barbershop, bay rum, lavender, and other scents.

I once had ToBS Sandalwood cream, because everyone and their mother were saying that it is good. It was ok, but the scent was too much perfumey and too synthetic, so now I am staring away from pure sandalwood. Proraso could be different, maybe I try it one day.

TOBS Sandalwood was my first shaving cream. It was highly recommended to me by AOS staff about 10 years ago. With so many other choices out there, I haven’t bought another Sandalwood product since. Suffice it to say, I have never understood the craze surrounding Sandalwood either. Sure, it isn’t bad but I find it’s not nearly good enough to justify its popularity. To me, it smells like cloying hand soap. I’m also in the minority here and for good measure, I’ll take it a step further and say I find it safe and boring whenever a shaving company puts out their take on yet another Sandalwood, Barbershop, Bay Rum or any other run-of-the-mill scent.

Sandalwood seems to be one of those very subjective scents.

There's those that don't like it at all. Then some that like certain takes on it.

I not sure I have came across someone who likes everything with sandalwood in it.

I thought I may be one of those that didn't like it. But as mentioned it show up in the scent descriptions of some colognes I like.

I've come to figure that I don't like just plain old sandalwood by itself. I need it mixed with other scents to enjoy it. Even then, I may still not like it though.

The 2 I've found to like the best are:

Trumpers Sandalwood is my favorite, followed by Proraso red.

This gives me my sandalwood fix when I'm in the mood for it.

Don't feel the need to find any new sandalwood scents. But if I did come across another one I really liked. Then I may consider purchasing it.

Am I the only guy on earth that doesn’t care for the smell of sandalwood? I keep trying it. Just got new jar of TOBS sandalwood because I figure it has to be great, it’s so popular. Took one whiff....nope. Every thing I’ve ever smelled with sandalwood I’ve just not cared for.

Is it just me? Seems like 75% of the shaving products on the market are this scent. I got some Proraso red Preshave cream and had the same reaction.
ToBS sandalwood is not a just sandalwood scent, it's a sandalwood based blend and sandalwood, to my nose, has a very little part in it. I've lived in the orient where they use, or used, sandalwood to make many things and there's very little sandalwood scents here that smell like the real thing and only the real thing

Top Bottom