What's new

Anyone NOT like Sandalwood?

Am I the only guy on earth that doesn’t care for the smell of sandalwood? I keep trying it. Just got new jar of TOBS sandalwood because I figure it has to be great, it’s so popular. Took one whiff....nope. Every thing I’ve ever smelled with sandalwood I’ve just not cared for.

Is it just me? Seems like 75% of the shaving products on the market are this scent. I got some Proraso red Preshave cream and had the same reaction.

No, you're in the minority, though.

Remember that real sandalwood is very expensive nowadays, so a lot of what is called sandalwood is really a cologne scent made up with different fragrance oils that may be from some other plant or totally synthetic. Also, the strength of scent for sandalwood products varies quite a lot.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Most sandalwood scents to me are sickeningly sweet. I did find a blended sandalwood scent I do like though. Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy is a blend of Sandalwood and Vanilla with a touch of lime. The lime brings the sweetness down enough for it to be pleasant. It's my only sandalwood soap.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I love a good Sandalwood, preferably if it mostly smells like just Sandalwood and isn't dominated by other scents. AoS makes a great spicy sandalwood and the Captain's Choice is a nice simple offering as well. If you've smelled both and didn't love them, then it definitely isn't for you.

There is certainly a lot of it out there.
Though your certainly not alone in not liking TOBS sandalwood and I totally agree that the Proraso red pre/post is disgusting.

Try Trumpers sandalwood. If you don’t like that than it’s pretty safe to say that you just plain old don’t like it.

I like Proraso's sandalwood scent but I'm not sure how close to the real thing it is. I have smelled other sandalwoods that have too many floral notes and not enough woodsy notes in it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
In winter, yes. It's a warm scent.

The AoS oil is real- hard to get though. TOBS is good.

Pro red; smells mostly like Pro. Works fine. All three are quite different, AoS is the yardstick, being authentic.

AA

From what I know most sandalwood creams are artificially flavoured to smell like sandalwood. Real sandalwood is too expensive and rare to mass produce.

Am I the only guy on earth that doesn’t care for the smell of sandalwood? I keep trying it. Just got new jar of TOBS sandalwood because I figure it has to be great, it’s so popular. Took one whiff....nope. Every thing I’ve ever smelled with sandalwood I’ve just not cared for.

Is it just me? Seems like 75% of the shaving products on the market are this scent. I got some Proraso red Preshave cream and had the same reaction.
Agreed. As noted below most of these products are probably imitation sandalwood, but I don't care for them either.

It's nice in the winter. I used Proraso Red pre-shave today and AoS Sandalwood cream for my shave as I'm starting to get nostalgic for cooler weather.

Otherwise I can take it or leave it.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I am not familiar with authentic sandalwood smell. I have TOBS Sandalwood soap, I like it, but I like Arko too....so there’s that.

I don't care for it as a protagonist scent. I had a NOS AoS sandalwood soap and sold it. TOBS sandalwood smells nothing like it. Proraso red is fine to me

However, I have many citrus / fougere perfumes with sandalwood note in the base and they are wonderful (eg: AdP Colonia and several Penhaligon's EdTs)

Top Bottom