What's new

Anyone measure the blade gap on a 3one6?

I have been fighting off an attack of RAD. I don't really need another razor but for some reason I keep thinking I need to own a 3one6 and/or a Rocca (if you have one collecting dust, PM me). And as I search for information on both razors, I find lots of comparisons between the two and a few comparisons between them and the R89/DE89 ... but so far I have not been able to find any information on the actual blade gap.

I've seen one chart showing the DE89 as .71mm and same chart says R89/DE89 is .76mm so I'm not sure if there is are old/new versions with different gaps. I would make a wild guess that the 3one6 is going to be in the .84-.95mm range but I'm hoping someone here owns one and has a set of feeler gauges to measure the gap.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Other folks on B&B say it’s 1.3mm or 1.35mm with either neutral or negative exposure.

Why not contact Edwin Jagger directly?
I wrote to them over a month ago and got an auto-reply and nothing since:

Due to COVID-19 isolation measures in the UK, Edwin Jagger is running a reduced level of service. We will aim to respond to your email within 7 days, in order to maintain the highest level of assistance.

I just emailed them again and got an auto reply back saying they are out of the office until Jan 3:

Please note that the Edwin Jagger offices are closed for the festive break from Friday 23rd December until Tuesday 3rd January 2023. We will respond to your email as soon as possible upon our return.

Other folks on B&B say it’s 1.3mm or 1.35mm with either neutral or negative exposure.

That would really surprise me if either of those are accurate. I wonder how (if) they measured that or if they're just repeating something they read/heard somewhere. Most of the reviewers that I trust have described the 3one6 as slightly more efficient than the DE89. Hoping someone with a set of feelers might be willing to measure the razor and confirm or refute the 1.3mm claim.

thombrogan

Got me, @AndyPanda When google didn’t gimme the answer, I used advanced search here.

Hoping the answer Edwin Jagger provides you will be more satisfactory than their auto reply.

I didn't mean to "get you" -- sorry if my reply came across that way. I appreciate you sharing the links. I had read a couple of them already but there was new information in those links. Some of the people in the thread about variances in the DE89/R89 had bought their heads on Ali Express :)

I'm not trying to call anyone out here at all. I'm just hoping I can find someone to measure in a similar way to how I measure (I'm not sure I'm measuring correctly - but if we both measure the same way then we can compare apples to apples at least).

For example, I have a Game Changer 84 which is spec'd at .84mm blade gap and when I measure using my method I find that to be right on the money. When I measure my DE89 the same way, I get about .68mm so that has me scratching my head a little about the .71, .73, .76 specs I see listed in various charts for that razor.

thombrogan

I had taken “got me” as in “you’ve got me” to mean “I don’t know” and not “you’ve thwarted my attempts at deception.”

A promise I can earnestly make is a promise that I do not know the gap of the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6. At best, I can say “this person states…” and hope that person is correct. Or thankful to have more questions.

For example, I have a Game Changer 84 which is spec'd at .84mm blade gap and when I measure using my method I find that to be right on the money. When I measure my DE89 the same way, I get about .68mm so that has me scratching my head a little about the .71, .73, .76 specs I see listed in various charts for that razor.
I don't see your problem; you have feeler gauges so measure it and let us know your findings as it would be very helpful.
I have previously suggested the blade gap is ~1.3mm based on images others have provided, see attached. Someone recently put a straight edge across the cap and bar and confirmed it was positive blade exposure. Would you be able to confirm that?
3one6b.jpg
With regard to the DE89 head, blade gap of .71 is often quoted but there are variations in castings so +/- 0.05 would be expected.

Iridian

Cool and slimy

I compared 3ONE6 and Rocca. The short of it, both are almost the same head. The geometry is identical save for a slightly more pronounced safety bar on the 3ONE6.

On another forum someone measured the gap of the Rocca to be around 0.80.
This might be a bit more than for the R89, judging by Eyeball Mk I.

Now, what will this info bring you. How will it help you to gauge the aggression or mildness level of the Rocca.

The supposed "BEAST", the R41, has a blade gap of only .23! No ****.
The Timeless Slim has a blade gap of 0.5. The Wolfman WR2 heads go up to 1.85 blade gap.
Now guess which one is more aggressive. It's not the Wolfman and related clone heads.
The Timeless Slim is also more aggressive than their .95 head.

Exposure is often more important, but all of that only describes part of the geometry. If there is a razor with .x, .y and .z gap versions, you can be sure the higher gap will be more aggressive. But between different razors, this info is almost useless/meaningless.

The 3ONE6/Rocca are a bit more aggressive than the DE/R89, but way less than the R41.

The forum is full of lots of pics and some advice and some comparisons, they just might be hard to find.

In general I would rather get a Razorock Game Changer, Lupo or a similar head. The Stylletto from Rasoigoodfellas if you like it a bit more fancy, maybe.

Preferences vary, the Rocca and 3ONE6 are great razors, they are just not my favorites. In general I see people rather prefering vintage razors of all kinds, a huge Blackbird fanbase, while Wolfman is expensive one can get quite well done knock-offs from Razorock and Yaqi and other chinese manufacturers, and these razor heads are excellent.

If you live in the USA, Razorock is easy to get, if you live in Europe you might try Rasoigoodfellas | Online sale of the best men's care products - https://www.rasoigoodfellas.eu/

Thanks for uncovering a shocking lack of feeler gauge owners on this forum! :c9:

I compared 3ONE6 and Rocca. The short of it, both are almost the same head. The geometry is identical save for a slightly more pronounced safety bar on the 3ONE6.

On another forum someone measured the gap of the Rocca to be around 0.80.
This might be a bit more than for the R89, judging by Eyeball Mk I.

Now, what will this info bring you. How will it help you to gauge the aggression or mildness level of the Rocca.

The supposed "BEAST", the R41, has a blade gap of only .23! No ****.
The Timeless Slim has a blade gap of 0.5. The Wolfman WR2 heads go up to 1.85 blade gap.
Now guess which one is more aggressive. It's not the Wolfman and related clone heads.
The Timeless Slim is also more aggressive than their .95 head.

Exposure is often more important, but all of that only describes part of the geometry. If there is a razor with .x, .y and .z gap versions, you can be sure the higher gap will be more aggressive. But between different razors, this info is almost useless/meaningless.

The 3ONE6/Rocca are a bit more aggressive than the DE/R89, but way less than the R41.

The forum is full of lots of pics and some advice and some comparisons, they just might be hard to find.

In general I would rather get a Razorock Game Changer, Lupo or a similar head. The Stylletto from Rasoigoodfellas if you like it a bit more fancy, maybe.

Preferences vary, the Rocca and 3ONE6 are great razors, they are just not my favorites. In general I see people rather prefering vintage razors of all kinds, a huge Blackbird fanbase, while Wolfman is expensive one can get quite well done knock-offs from Razorock and Yaqi and other chinese manufacturers, and these razor heads are excellent.

If you live in the USA, Razorock is easy to get, if you live in Europe you might try Rasoigoodfellas | Online sale of the best men's care products - https://www.rasoigoodfellas.eu/

Thanks for uncovering a shocking lack of feeler gauge owners on this forum! :c9:
If only gap and exposure were the characteristics defining a razor it would be too easy.
Except those two parameters we have a few others:
- Degree of bending
- Degree of clamping
- What percentage of the blade area is being clamped strongly.
- Which parts of the blade are strongly clamped

Here you are with the 3ONE3. It is a DESSGA5BL model, bought on 31.07.2022. The gap is 1.05mm. The 1 and 0.05mm gauges can be inserted, the 1 + 0.1 gauge cannot.

And since I have been looking for my feeler gauge for more than 15 minutes, here is the Rocca R94 version 4.
It is ~0.80mm since I can insert the 0.85 with some difficulty, but the 0.80 gets inside freely.

Both measurements are done with a Minora Stainless blade made by PPI.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If only gap and exposure were the characteristics defining a razor it would be too easy.
Except those two parameters we have a few others:
- Degree of bending
- Degree of clamping
- What percentage of the blade area is being clamped strongly.
- Which parts of the blade are strongly clamped

I think those lesser considered aspects are probably more meaningful to how a razor shaves than the relatively easier measured gap and exposure metrics everyone wants to know.

I think those lesser considered aspects are probably more meaningful to how a razor shaves than the relatively easier measured gap and exposure metrics everyone wants to know.
There is no more or less meaningful. It is always a combination of all the aforementioned factors including gap and exposure.

Here you are with the 3ONE3. It is a DESSGA5BL model, bought on 31.07.2022. The gap is 1.05mm. The 1 and 0.05mm gauges can be inserted, the 1 + 0.1 gauge cannot.

And since I have been looking for my feeler gauge for more than 15 minutes, here is the Rocca R94 version 4.
It is ~0.80mm since I can insert the 0.85 with some difficulty, but the 0.80 gets inside freely.

Both measurements are done with a Minora Stainless blade made by PPI.

Thanks so much for taking those measurements. Much appreciated! 🙏

Thanks so much for taking those measurements. Much appreciated! 🙏
Don't know why you decided that you need one of those two razors. Could be the mantra on the internet that they are very similar. At least half of those caliming them to be the same just have seen a photo (gif I think) that shows similarity in blade bending, without using both razors.
Do not pay much attention to that mantra. Let's not forget that the first one or two versions of the Rocca are more aggressive. This has been confirmed by a user who have used both an early version and a later one.

I can only tell you my experience with the aforementioned 3ONE6 model and R94 v 4. They don't shave the same. I get a slightly closer shave with the Edwin Jagger. But with some blades it is the more dangerous razor compared to the Rocca.

It is more curiosity than need. I have a razor that suits me perfectly already, so I'm not trying to find a better razor or closer shave etc. I am just very interested in how the various designs differ. I enjoy looking at all aspects of a design and thinking about what they were trying to solve or accomplish and the different approach the two companies took. Try to guess why they did it that way and how I might have done it differently. I'm a geek and I'm retired and this is more fun than working jigsaw puzzles :welcoming:

It is more curiosity than need. I have a razor that suits me perfectly already, so I'm not trying to find a better razor or closer shave etc. I am just very interested in how the various designs differ. I enjoy looking at all aspects of a design and thinking about what they were trying to solve or accomplish and the different approach the two companies took. Try to guess why they did it that way and how I might have done it differently. I'm a geek and I'm retired and this is more fun than working jigsaw puzzles :welcoming:
I will tell you this. It is all about money. Both companies wanted to fill a void in their catalogue. Namely a stainless steel razor that will cost more and (probably) have more profit margin. Both decided to do something that is a bit more aggressive than the E89 / DE89. None of them went for a very aggressive razor, as it wouldn't sell well. Just look at the bottom of both razors heads and you will surely tell which is the German razor and which is the British. That is the aesthetics aspect. But there is something else to consider. The Rocca is heavier compared to the aluminium handle versions of the 3ONE6.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that be rather obvious?
No it wouldn't. Because Edwin Jagger named the coloured versions of the 3ONE6:

Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Stainless Steel Red (or whatever colour) DE Safety Razor.

59g. Many users wouldn't even know a part of it is aluminum. The tube on the handle is aluminium, with the neck and the bottom of the handle stainless steel. This is said in a fine print much further and the fine print is 3.5 standard pages long.

The Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Stainless Steel Knurled DE Safety Razor is the one that is made entirely of stainless steel and is 80g, which is closer to the Rocca weight (95g for R94).

Top Bottom