What's new

Anyone Making Their Own Pipes?

I've not heard of any that continued with it after dabbling around for that thread you came across, but you know the answer everyone will give you about giving it a try yourself...

doit.gif

Aaron Strange (Blade Boy) had some for sale on one of the online retailers. He's not around here much these days, but I believe he is still making pipes fairly regularly.

I had another I was working on but have since moved twice and lost my work space. The pup chewing up the briar and ebonite was the final nail in the coffin for that. Keep saying I'll do more but want more tools first. I also want to do all the drilling etc, not just by a pre-drilled block.

First one I did in that thread was with a knife and file as my only tools. It took a couple night to carve it but it was a lot of fun.

Pipe as chew toy. Ouch!
I did one from a kit about 10 years ago, but gave it to a friend. I've done probably a couple hundred stone pipes, as I'm part Native.

I recently bought a new lathe and a small truckload of briar & stem materials. Planning to start up again soon. Have been working on a set of custom jaws to hold briar.
0915171108.jpg

I didn't think of using Pipestone when I lived minutes away from Pipestone MN... opportunity missed!
I was making pipes for Pipe carriers. 20-30 a year. Not recreational pipes. No pictures, because that's just not done. I do have one I could take a picture of. It's orange, of all things. Can't remember what the stone was. Tangerine something. I made 2, gave one to the Old Guy that taught me Pipe making out in South Dakota.

Top Bottom